Rumor: Free-to-Play Games Coming to Xbox Live

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Free-to-Play Games Coming to Xbox Live

Microsoft might allow free-to-play titles on Xbox Live in 2012.

Up to this point, free content on Xbox Live has pretty much been a no no. This could change in 2012, according to a rumor reported by IGN that says Microsoft has free-to-play games in its sights for the Xbox 360.

IGN writes that a "trusted source" says free-to-play games will be made available on Xbox Live "sometime next year." If you don't know the difference between "free-to-play" and "free," I'll explain.

Free means free, with no strings attached. Free-to-play means that a player can download a portion of the game for free, and play that portion endlessly. However, free-to-play games are typically supported by microtransactions: smaller purchases that improve the play experience. For example, a free-to-play game might offer cosmetic upgrades, like hats, or scrolls that increase the amount of experience you can earn or your movement speed. Other free-to-play games give paying users access to more areas and more content.

The free-to-play model, as opposed to a subscription-only model, has been Lord of the Rings Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104176-Free-to-Play-LOTRO-Doubles-Revenues]. Free-to-play games are estimated to bring in billions of dollars a year, so it might be a smart business move by Microsoft to tap into that.

Dungeon Fighter Online, a free-to-play MMO on the PC, was announced for Xbox Live in March 2011, but was confirmed as a paid XBLA game. Considering this rumor, the game might switch back and become one of the Xbox 360's first free-to-play titles. If Microsoft does allow free-to-play games on Xbox Live, it'd be nice if the company also changes the way players can acquire Microsoft Points to perform microtransactions, perhaps allowing them to buy only exactly what they need and not a chunk. That's probably just wishful thinking.

Source: IGN [http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/116/1160708p1.html]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Free to play? On XBL?

Someone check for the rapture and the release of Episode 3.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
So...stuff still won't be free. Basically XBL will become all those annoying Flash sites that host games that beg you to sign up and buy extra garbage with real people money, every level.

Status quo.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HankMan said:
gigastar said:
Free to play? On XBL?

Well they ARE releasing Duke Nukem Forever...
True, but its Gearbox releasing it, not 3D Realms...

Some crazy people think that the world ends next year. This makes me slightly inclined to believe them now.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Does this mean updates will also be coming to tf2 on all systems? Coz I really hope so.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
Free to play, but you have to pay for it!

Nice!
Minor correction for better fluency:
"Free to play, but you'll have to pay!"

Well, you can find Gold for about 35-40$ a year nowadays. Still, to fully enjoy any of these so called F2P games you'd have to pay anyway.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
gigastar said:
HankMan said:
gigastar said:
Free to play? On XBL?

Well they ARE releasing Duke Nukem Forever...
True, but its Gearbox releasing it, not 3D Realms...

Some crazy people think that the world ends next year. This makes me slightly inclined to believe them now.
Glad I wasn't the only person who thought this. I can actually envision an apocalypse caused by Microsoft. Well, everyone could in 1999, why can't I think so now? I better start stocking supplies and get my Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit out of storage.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well, I've tried and supported a few (hence why I can be critical) and truthfully I don't care for the microtransactions system. I think you typically wind up paying more money that way than you do in paying a subscription.

That said, Sony seems to be doing fairly well with "Free Realms" (which I have been playing a bit) on the PS-3. It's not a terrible game for $35 (lifetime membership) assuming you think of it as a mini-game collection rather than an actual MMORPG. If they removed the microtransaction elements from the game entirely, I think it would be a far more solid product. Still, it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft noticed even this quickly.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Well, technically it's NOT F2P considering I'm sure these games wouldn't be available without Gold membership, which is not free.

As far as "true" F2P games go, I know it's free to play but there's a ton of stuff that you have to pay for in terms of items and stuff. Do you "have" to buy these items to progress in the game or is it just that without them the game is longer and harder?

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I read this as: Microsoft might allow free-to-play titles on Xbox Live when the world ends. it fits well.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
gigastar said:
Free to play? On XBL?

Being that is is happening on 2012, I am personally worried.

Now, correct me if Im wrong, but to play XBL, you need a gold membership, right? Which is something like $60 for a year now. Im guessing you need a Gold membership to play these games... so in a sense, there is a subscription fee... well at least playing a F2P game on XBL will atleast be easier to actually buy things, can hopefully use M$points instead of my credit card.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
Tom Goldman said:
I read this as: Microsoft might allow free-to-play titles on Xbox Live when the world ends. it fits well.
Damn you, ninja'd

"It'll be free on Xbox live......When the world ends *bidum tish*", That being said....eerie. Dun dun duuuuuuuun!