Man Uses Kinect to Play Minecraft in Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Man Uses Kinect to Play Minecraft in Minecraft

A Kinect hacker put Minecraft in Minecraft so players could Minecraft while they Minecraft.

After using juggle [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302532025&sr=8-1], Nathan Viniconis is back with a new merger of the game and the motion-sensing device. Viniconis has now used Kinect to record his play of Minecraft, which transfers the data into to a separate game of Minecraft.

Essentially, he's discovered how to play Minecraft in Minecraft. The hack uses the game's blocks as pixels for a giant, floating Minecraft screen that's about 50 blocks high and looks around 80-100 blocks long.

A resolution of 80 by 100 isn't the best in the world, but the blocks are constantly replaced just like they would be with a real screen. When Viniconis stops playing, he's got a giant screenshot of himself playing Minecraft in Minecraft.

It doesn't quite work to the point where anybody'll be playing games inside of Minecraft yet, but the technique certainly has potential. Players could populate their world with pixelated images of themselves or with screenshots from other games. A new way to decorate in Minecraft is never a bad thing.

If you don't understand the Xzibit reference, it's an internet meme [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xzibit#Internet_meme].

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
That's....... insane.

And yet utterly brilliant!

Edit: I wonder if you could make a MASSIVE TV and play any PC game?

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
The potential here sounds pretty amazing. If people could use MineCraft to create other, entirely different games the same way people have been with LittleBigPlanet, it could become one of the cheapest full-function development kits out there.

Gears of War inside MC, perhaps?

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
As soon as I read the title of the article I immediately was planing on making a Xzibit reference but the creator beat me to it.

Anyway, cool stuff. I love all the things people are doing with kinect. It gives me hope that actual professional developers will be able to do some truly amazing things.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
"Yo dawg, I heard you liked minecraft, so I put minecraft in your minecraft so you could play minecraft whilst you play minecraft."

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
It would be really sweet to hook this up to a dvd player. Then you could set up a drive in theater and watch movies in minecraft.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Kinda confusing that we didn't see this sooner - what was to stop kinect recording minecraft and putting it in minecraft in the first place?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Wow, this is the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

There is no real value in it, just that he an play Minecreft for Kinect. Whoop de fraking do.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
recursion: n
If you don't get it, see recursion.

I have heard about people considering implementing Minecraft in Minecraft using redstone logic gates. To them, I say "good luck!"

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
It appears that you can do anything in Minecraft if you put sufficient effort towards it. At this rate it'll be just a matter of time before someone divides by zero for teh lulz in game and dooms us all.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
once i heard about the guy who built a functional 16bit cpu out in minecraft out of redstone blocks, i knew this was inevitable lol