Brazil Builds World's Tallest Lego Tower

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brazil Builds World's Tallest Lego Tower

Children in Brazil, with a little help from their parents and an industrial crane, have set a new record for the world's tallest Lego tower.

When I was a youngster, I built little Lego boats to play with in the bathtub. That's the sort of thing that would probably get me beat up a lot on the mean streets of Sao Paolo, Brazil, where they seem to take their little colored bricks a bit more seriously. Almost 6000 builders, mostly kids, recently got together with a half-million Lego bricks to create a tower reaching more than 102 feet into the sky. The colossus took four days to build and is held in place by several guy wires.

"This is a very interactive event where families take part, schools take part," explained Roberio Esteves, Lego's director in Brazil. "We promote teamwork in order to reach our main objective, which is to establish Brazil as the country that holds the record of the Lego tower."

Brazil's tower captured the title from Chile, which set the previous record last year with a tower stretching a little over 101 feet. But the competition to create the world's tallest tower has been going on since the first record was set in the U.K. with a 43-foot spire in 1980. Since then the title has traveled all over the world to countries including Germany, Israel, the U.S., New Zealand, South Korea, Russia, Canada, Norway and Japan.

"I think this is really important to show the world that we also like to play with Lego," said 13-year-old Gabriel Santos, who thinks the ongoing quest to build the tallest Lego tower will help connect children around the world. Nine-year-old Bruno Mendes had a more visceral reason for taking part, however. "I really like risky things, like going down a huge tower where you can get killed," he said.

Source: Digtriad.com [http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article/170871/176/Worlds-Largest-Lego-Tower-Built-In-Brazil]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
It doesn't count unless you match the colours! Take it down and start again.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
HankMan said:
Watta bunch of blockheads!
Now someone has to do this in Minecraft. PICs or it doesn't count!
Unfortunately, Minecraft has a limit to how high you can build whilst real life does not. =P

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Bruce Mendes officially has the biggest, hardiest balls I've ever heard from. Seriously.

That nine year old be legit!

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Now if they could just connect it to James May's lego house. It would significantly increase the awesome factor.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Query...how exactly are they going to take this behemoth down? It'd take forever to take it off top to bottom after all...

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
Er excuse me "children built it"... with a freaking crane or absailing equipment??? Oh sorry - a bit of help from parents with a crane... so yeah what like a bit of help as in after it got over 5 foot high the adults 'stepped in' to 'finish off' the last little bit because the children couldn't reach up any higher :p.

That aside that's amazing, well done kiddies :D another fantastic giant lego middle finger to society proving you KNOW how to have fun and we simply forgot. Full credit to them - See that's why I stay child like *sipps giant coke bottle and shoves haribo into mouth*

hansari

May 31, 2009
VitusPrime said:
Query...how exactly are they going to take this behemoth down? It'd take forever to take it off top to bottom after all...
I'd let a Japanese gameshow use it for their semifinals, like Ninja Warrior. Have the contestants climb to the top. Eventually it'll come crashing down and kill someone, thereby allowing participants to earn their way into the next round.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I so want to help build a lego tower to the moon...You know you want to.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Singularly Datarific said:
They spelled "Brazil" wrong on the side...
Ah well.
Awesome nonetheless.
Brazil is the English spelling, Brasil is the Portuguese spelling. The more you know...

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
ThisIsSnake said:
Ah well.
Awesome nonetheless.
Brazil is the English spelling, Brasil is the Portuguese spelling. The more you know...
Beat me to it :)

People here were in need of something good since we got our first school shooting in last thursday.

Jan 29, 2009
Grahav said:
ThisIsSnake said:
Ah well.
Awesome nonetheless.
Beat me to it :)

People here were in need of something good since we got our first school shooting in last thursday.
Woops!
sorry...
I do tend to jump to conclusions.