Peter Jackson Sends Video Blog Back from Middle Earth

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Peter Jackson Sends Video Blog Back from Middle Earth

[facebook_video=10150223186041807 height=225]​

After far too long in limbo, The Hobbit movies are underway, and their director appropriately enough has caught the moment on camera.

Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings movies, has recorded a video blog from the set of The Hobbit movies and posted it on his Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jackson/141884481557] page. The video was recorded just before filming started on the movies, and gives a glimpse into what it's like recreating Middle Earth in New Zealand.

Jackson showed off a few of the sets for the films. Some of them will look rather familiar - hardly surprisingly as they've appeared before in Lord of the Rings movies - while others, like the caves under the Misty Mountains, are brand new. We also get to see a fight rehearsal, and the very early stages of the scene where the young Bilbo - played by Martin Freeman - and the company of dwarves. We also get a look at the huge number of costumes needed for the movie, and get glimpses of how some of the props are made. Finally, Jackson shared the Maori welcoming ceremony that marked the first day of filming

It's amazing to see how much care and attention to detail Jackson and his crew is taking with the movie. Jackson clearly has a great deal of love for the source material, and it really shows. Of course, it's rather special to see Jackson on set at all, as he wasn't supposed to be directing The Hobbit movies. That job was supposed to be Guillermo del Toro's, but he had to pull out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101056-Peter-Jackson-Might-Direct-The-Hobbit-After-All] due to scheduling conflicts as the movies suffered delay after delay.

The first part of The Hobbit hits theaters in December next year.

Source: The One Ring [http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/04/14/43484-peter-jackson-posts-first-video-from-the-hobbit-set/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
This looks preety cool, it kind of spoils the movie a bit over time if he plans to keep doing this until the release date.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I found the LOTR movies fantastic, and the books to be let-downs.

So, I'm looking forward to this. Those sets are sexy...

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
its good to see a directer taking the time to update fans on what is happening on set and its clear that he cares that this movie turns out well and that this is not just another paycheck for him

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
I honstly thought this would never happen, but seeing the scenes and this video blog as very well made me build a little hype inside myself.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Reminds me of what Bethesda did when they began developing Fallout 3. There was this picture of the entire dev team headed into the underground parking at the office while all wearing Vault 101 shirts...

It's nice to see people enjoying what they do. :)

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
I got goosebumps at the end of the video >.>

I'm pretty excited and extremely jealous that this is going on as we speak. The thought that they will be working on this just about every day for the next year and a half. They will have an absolutely fantastic time and be treated extremely well.

I am extremely envious of them.

SHIFTYMACO

Oct 27, 2010
Its good to hear that Jackson is Directing the hobbit, He done an awesome job on LOTR.
Cant wait!

Awesome thread BTW.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess Jackson is getting older too, but he really looks kind of frail and exhausted compared to when he made LotR.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I found the LOTR movies fantastic, and the books to be let-downs.

So, I'm looking forward to this. Those sets are sexy...
books a let-down?....... noooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssss

the movies are my favoriet, the books are amazing, and i love the story of the hobbit. i still abit annoyed the it will have 3D, but maybe jackson knows what he is doing, we will see.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I guess Jackson is getting older too, but he really looks kind of frail and exhausted compared to when he made LotR.
I looks like he lost about a hundred pounds too.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I had my reservations about these films, but seeing Peter Jackson back in control of things... yeah, these movies are going to be great.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Weird to hear the music again (in a good way of course). Really can't wait for this!

Jackson is now directing it again, right?

standokan

May 28, 2009
I nerdgasmed the whole video, sting was awesome, I love the dwarves, Ian mcKellen and Martin Freeman and now I've got this restles feeling in my bones, maybe it's time for another reread of the hobbit?

Jingermanoo

Mar 7, 2009
So exciting to see this little glimpse, Ian McKellen is such a dude aswell.
Already so much work has gone into this film. It's humbling.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
i am so looking forward to this movie. Feeling like a little boy again in front of the great screen. :)