New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

Multiple sources have confirmed that Nintendo is showing its new HD console to game publishers and will unveil the system to the public at this year's E3, if not sooner.

Nintendo's long-awaited successor to the Wii is finally on the cusp of being unveiled, according to a Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx] report, which claims confirmation from "multiple sources" that the new system will be unveiled at this year's E3 and possibly sooner. The new system will boast HD video capabilities, although how it will stand up head-to-head against the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 remains to be seen. The site says it "understands" that Nintendo "is trying to embrace the Western gamer" with the new hardware and thus will likely release it as an all-new brand rather than an overhauled Wii.

Nintendo is apparently showing the new hardware to publishers now in order to give them plenty of time to have games ready for its release in late 2012, a completely different approach than it took with the Wii. "Nintendo is doing this one right," an anonymous source told the site. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

In its own report, IGN [http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html] claims the new unit will be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" and will offer backwards-compatibility with current Wii software, suggesting that the current Wii control scheme will also be supported, although it will presumably be significantly evolved.

The only thing certain at this point is that Nintendo needs to do something, and it needs to do it big. After years of dominating the current generation of consoles its sales have slowed dramatically and although a rumored $50 price cut [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109244-Rumor-Nintendo-Prepping-50-Wii-Price-Cut] may help counteract that slowdown, new, more capable hardware is Nintendo's only real option if it wants to stay in the fight.

Nintendo, of course, refused to comment on its plans for E3 or anything else, but it did offer a cryptic "stay tuned." Sure sounds like something's up, doesn't it? E3 [http://www.e3expo.com/], by the way, runs June 7-9 this year; you might want to keep your eye on it.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
The Wee Too?

I guess they need to beef up their gear now that both competitors provide the same capabilities and are much more capable. Or, perhaps, they have a new gimmick planned.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
They'd better not push Skyward Sword to this new console. Then again, if they do, that means I have no reason to keep a Wii, which means I can sell it.

somonels said:
The Wee Too?
Nah. It'll be the Uss.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
interesting, I got a wii last year for about £50 (preowned) so it makes sense. I wonder if it'll just be the wii HD? probably not if history is anything to go by?

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
yes, this is great news. i skipped the wii, if the wii2 has full backwards compatibility to the game cube then i am in at launch. for sure. this is awesome.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is exciting actually. I mean, the Wii is the indisputable king of this generation, and I say that not based on games (chill your roll till I'm done please), but based on sales and profitability. I don't think people understand that Nintendo makes consoles to sell them and make money. Well, guess who is number one based on the reason why companies exist?

The only thing holding it back as a more valid gaming platform is the generation old graphics and system specs. This also made many developers not push their games to what the system is capable of doing, because there were plenty of great looking games on the Wii that got skipped out on. Now, they could create a system that technically rivals the current generation that is both affordable and profitable. They win again. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
They'd better not push Skyward Sword to this new console. Then again, if they do, that means I have no reason to keep a Wii, which means I can sell it.

somonels said:
The Wee Too?
Nah. It'll be the Uss.
That's what I think they are going to do. They've been rather hush-hush on its delay and the Ocarina of Time 3D replaced all the hype for Skyward Sword. Good luck selling a Wii for anything more than a turkey sandwich, though. The second-hand market for them is crazy saturated.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Just watch them call it the Revolution. Watch.

I could give less of a damn about the supposedly superior graphics though. If anything, that just means the first four batches of the thing will be 10x more likely to burst into flames.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
GOD.

DAMMIT.

So... Here's my question. When Sony comes out with the PS4 and Microsoft comes out with the Xbox720, what will this mean for the online support of the previous systems? I just got a PS3 and if I have to get the new one just so I can keep up with the online support then I'm swearing off systems altogether and keeping up with my PC rig.

This was bound to happen eventually, I guess, but... Why, nintendo? Your Wii has sold more than any of your other systems. Why stop? I gotta ask.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
As long as the new console can play Wii games and GC games or they keep making Wii versions of games to that console I'm happy.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Trust Nintendo to get ahead of the curve.

No gimmicks? I might even just be pleased.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Oh yay. Now we can have "Super Mario 12: Revenge of the Chocolate Coated Bullshit".

I'm not getting it unless Nintendo get some new fucking IPs.

Apr 28, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
I guess they the Wii stopped printing money.
Yeah, the Wii has slowed.

But they just released the 3DS. Which is keeping the cash flow coming.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I wonder what PC hardware will make it on here. Could we see the first console with higher than DX9 graphics capabilities, like Tessellation etc? Might improve port quality, but then again it is rare for Nintendo ports....