DICE: Battlefield 3 Looks Better on Consoles Because We're Making it for PC

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DICE: Battlefield 3 Looks Better on Consoles Because We're Making it for PC

Battlefield 3 developer DICE thinks that developing the game with PC as the lead platform means that console owners will have a better visual experience, too.

Even if they're slated for multiplatform release, many of the modern FPS titles that hit the market today are developed primarily with consoles in mind - and usually, that console is the Xbox 360. (How do we know? We just know [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107289-Oops-PS3-Black-Ops-Update-Adds-Xbox-Live-Message].) To be fair, this isn't an awful idea in itself. The Xbox 360 market is the largest for games like Call of Duty, followed by the PS3, and distantly trailed by the PC; why wouldn't you develop primarily on the platform with your largest audience?

EA DICE, currently hard at work on Battlefield 3, disagrees. In fact, BF3 executive producer Patrick Bach says that using a console as the lead development platform is the "biggest problem we have today." He thinks that having the PC as the lead platform will result in a better experience - for players who get the game for consoles.

"Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something," Bach told Nvidia [http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/battlefield3-interview]. "I don't know why. That was the truth five years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this."

DICE was developing Battlefield for the "most powerful platform in order to "try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator," he explained, "instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We're doing it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles."

There's no denying that Battlefield 3 is a stunningly gorgeous game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109296-Like-This-Battlefield-3-Trailer-Get-12-Minutes-of-Gameplay-Footage] when running on top-of-the-line PC hardware. But won't that make it harder to port to aging consoles? "That's not the case," says Bach, "because when you build the target high, you can then pick and choose from the target and ask what actually creates this picture and then pick the best things from that and turn that into your console solution."

Another thing that helped, says Bach, is that the Frostbite 2 engine was developed knowing that it would eventually have to run on Xbox 360 and PS3 (but not Windows XP [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106591-Battlefield-3-Relieving-Windows-XP-From-Duty]), so the developers intentionally made it easily scalable.

"I think people will be surprised to see how good it looks on the consoles. We can't show it right now, because we're aiming to use the PC to set the bar, but it's actually helping us make a better console game."

(VG247 [http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/battlefield3-interview])

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I'm just imagining either a head honcho from EA or DICE screaming fuck call of duty and eminem. We don't need rap or hardcore music will put a mellow song because our gameplay is just that badass.

... yeah this same head honcho probably calls 10 years olds names on halo multiplayer.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
Do the Battlefield 3 trailers remind anyone else of the first Killzone 2 "gameplay" trailer?
Hopefully it's just the cynic in me, but the game seems too good and way too scripted.
Or maybe it is actually that good, we can but hope.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
If more people followed that logic every gamer would be satisfied. Except haters. Cause haters are gonna hate.

WarpCode

Mar 18, 2010
Did hell freeze over? An EA exec stating its better to design for the PC and port to the 360/PS3? Never thought I would hear those words since most of Execs like to state that PC gaming is dead or dying.

As an avid PC gamer if I had no other reason to buy BF3, this right here is plenty of reason for me to buy it.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Does it look that good? I see no difference between this and CoD or Crysis or whatever.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Good, even Bad Company 2 didn't feel like a complete console port and it seems this one will be even better. The fact that they went old school and added 64 player battles to the PC again is nice to know.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Can't wait for this one. I'll wait and get Crysis 2 when it's on sale. Screw CryTek - because they screwed me! Well, ok, no they didn't. BUT they did make a lot of promises and totally and utterly fell through with them.

AAANYWAY! Glad to see at least one company has some sense. Battlefield 3... mmmmmmm.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I see we are still super soldiers in a supposedly gritty realism setting.
yeah like that last modern warfare game where..we jumped mountain tops...on a snowmobile

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
John Funk said:
PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this."
Actually i would disagree there, there are quite e few games that showcase the PC's graphical prowess.
The PC's advantage isn't graphical. Crysis 2 demonstrates that amply.

If the sole difference was 10% higher graphics settings, no one would bloody care. There are tons and tons of games that, simply put, could not be on a console, ever.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Their words sound nice but we basically hear this from every single developer and its rarely ever true. Look at Crysis 2 for a great example ("Press Start" ¬_¬).

That said, Bad Company 2 wasn't too terrible once they ironed out the CTD bugs, apart from their SHITTY, SHITTY server browser (games, LET ME FAVOURITE THE SERVER FROM INSIDE IT and let me favourite bu IP addresses to avoid trawling huge lists).
On a miscellanious note I really hope that the desaturated look isn't present through the whole game. It doesnt make it look gritty and realistic so much as it makes it look boring and "samey" (since subtle colours and details are completely lost when only your perheperial vision is picking it up). Bad Company 2 had some beautiful enviroments and most of that came from the rich true-to-life colours (giving the scene an overbearing red tint is as bad as forced-grayscale, yeah I'm looking at you Hoover Dam in New Vegas), it gave the scenes life.

Give me colour and give me a decent server browser and I'll be happy I suppose.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Like I always say, PC gaming will die when games are made on consoles. It makes sense to start with a high quality game and scale down where you need it, rather than make a game that runs great on the weakest system then add stuff to it. Case in point is black ops for PC. I don't even play it anymore, apparently adding stuff to the PC version broke it.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Wonder if anyone in the major gaming press is starting to realise that PC gaming isn't 'trailing behind', it's just making billions in the digital market?