Stolen Pixels #252: Tutorialized

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
TAKE THE JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER! OPEN IT! OPEN IT!! STICK THAT KNIFE INTO THE PEANUT BUTTER JAR! LIFT OUT SOME OF THE PEANUT BUTTER ON THE KNIFE! PUSH THE PEANUT BUTTER AROUND THE SLICE OF BREAD WITH THE SIDE OF THE KNIFE! PUT THE KNIFE DOWN! EAT THE BREAD! EAT THE BREAD!! USE YOUR MOUTH, GODDAMIT! MASTICATE THAT BREAD!

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I hate tutorials like that. Reminds me of Viva Pinata.... great game, but when you start a garden you are bombarded with messages and "do this" commands. Screwwwwww youuuuuuuu, bad video game intros!

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
GET INTO THE LAVATORY. HUSTLE! HUSTLE! OPEN THE LID. MY GRANDMOTHER COULD DO BETTER THAN THAT. NOW PULL DOWN YOUR PANTS AND SIT DOWN ON YER KESTER! NOW SHOW ME YOUR KILLFACE!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Andronicus said:
TAKE THE JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER! OPEN IT! OPEN IT!! STICK THAT KNIFE INTO THE PEANUT BUTTER JAR! LIFT OUT SOME OF THE PEANUT BUTTER ON THE KNIFE! PUSH THE PEANUT BUTTER AROUND THE SLICE OF BREAD WITH THE SIDE OF THE KNIFE! PUT THE KNIFE DOWN! EAT THE BREAD! EAT THE BREAD!! USE YOUR MOUTH, GODDAMIT! MASTICATE THAT BREAD!
GOD! My sides! They hurt so much!

OT: Sounds like a real fun tutorial.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
What is worse than the micromanaging (which you can ignore) is the intial cutscene for that level. It's great the first time you play the game, but if you ever decide to replay the level, for any reason, you can only skip the first ten minutes or so of it.

You still have to go through the part in your house where you stand up and wait on some Koreans to knock down your door, and you still have to wait on the bus for (what feels like) half an hour.

And even then, the game takes it's damn time about getting you into actual combat. Very annoying.

But the game still is fun. Singleplayer and multiplayer.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
When I see games like this I always wonder what the designers were thinking when the created the tutorial.

Do they have that little regard for their players?
Did THEY find the gameplay fun?
Were they watching "Regular Ordinary Swedish Mealtime" (http://youtu.be/0L40f39bPII) when they made the tutorial?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Ah, Shamus... You go where I fear to tread... Homefront.
Thank you for taking the bullets for me so that I may avoid wasting a large chunk of cash on something so crap.

I hope someday they give you a nice, fun game to play and review!

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Homefront: save the world from communist dictator so that you can be ordered around by NPC!

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
When he mentioned the drill sergeant bit at the end, all I could hear was the voice of R. Lee Ermey yelling and it made it quite funny. I've always liked his ability to yell in movies. He's a good fit for them, since he was a Staff Sergeant.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
POST A FUNNY AND INSIGHTFULL COMMENT IN HERE! WHATS THE MATTER ARE YOU A LITTLE NON-INVENTIVE GIRL?

IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Drill sergeant voices are 100 times better if imagined as the Soldier from TF2.

In fact, lots of things are better if heard through TF2 voices. Like my Calc teacher with the Heavy's accent.

"Alright cowards, you take function f(x) and the derivative is equal to g(x). What, can't do eet? Entire class is babies!"

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Extra credits would be disappointed.

When your tutorial treats the player like an idiot or is really that invasive... you fail. subtlety is not a skill the developer has appeared to have mastered.