Nate Drake and Pals Gun it Up in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nate Drake and Pals Gun it Up in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Trailer

Can you quip and shoot from the back of a taxiing cargo plane at the same time?

While the core attraction of the Uncharted series has always been its single-player campaign full of intrigue and excitement, Uncharted 2 experimented with adding multiplayer action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/996-Multiplayer-Overview-Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves] to the third-person shooter, a la Gears of War. It was obviously a side diversion at best, but it was entertaining enough to work well as precisely that and nothing more.

[viddler=3970897b]

As you can see in the trailer above, multiplayer will be returning to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, and it seems to be a bit expanded this time around. As seen here, there's more customization in character skins and weaponry than before - at least for the generic characters. I doubt I'd be able to give Nathan Drake a mohawk or mullet and dye it bright pink, but I'll keep hope alive.

Naughty Dog's Arne Meyer has posted an outline of some of the new multiplayer features [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/18/uncharted-3-multiplayer-modes-detailed/] over at PlayStation Blog, and it's intriguing if nothing else. In it, he discusses two multiplayer maps, Chateau and Airstrip. The first is a straightforward affair (with ziplines!) but the second sounds rather unique. As you can see here, Airstrip involves a shootout between those in the back of a giant cargo plane taking off, and bad guys (good guys?) in jeeps chasing them down the runway.

It's a classic set piece in every Indiana Jones-wannabe movie ever, and it looks like it could be a lot of fun to play, even if I have no idea how the people in jeeps would maneuver. Also, apparently after the plane takes off it turns into a regular gunfight in the hangar. Lame!

Naughty Dog also has a few new gameplay additions this time around. There are two new modes of Deathmatch - one Free-For-All, and one with three teams of 2-on-2-on-2. The game will also (finally) let players join matches in progress, a sorely needed feature that every other multiplayer game worth its salt already has.

Rather more interesting-sounding are Uncharted 3's "Buddy System," - which will let two players share successes in a match, and will allow one downed player to respawn on his Buddy during lulls in the combat - and the "Power Plays." A Power Play will allow a team in the lead a chance to maximize its rewards and cash for upgrades, but will also make it easier for the losing team to come from behind and take a victory. How will they do it? I haven't the faintest idea.

Oh, and Nathan Drake (and friends) can finally sprint now. It's about time.

Check out the whole feature from Naughty Dog over at PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/18/uncharted-3-multiplayer-modes-detailed/].

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
TheHecatomb said:
Well at least they bothered to pick some original music. Kudos for that, I guess.
It is truly awful though, and doesn't fit the game at all. Hope the real music's better.

It's not rare for video-game adverts to have terrible music though.

Apr 28, 2008
And how will the co-op modes be this time around? Or are they not announcing that yet?

Because the co-op modes in Uncharted 2 are criminally ignored by people for some reason.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
HankMan said:
Hooray for sprinting! Now we can see if Nathan's legs are as fast as his mouth
Alfador_VII said:
TheHecatomb said:
Well at least they bothered to pick some original music. Kudos for that, I guess.
It is truly awful though, and doesn't fit the game at all. Hope the real music's better.

I was wondering about that. I've never played an Uncharted game (more than a demo) but from what I understand about the game, this soundtrack just didn't mesh.
I mean: Treasure hunting to techno?
Also: "I want to kill, everybody in the world"
No, just No
Why is the lyrics wrong? It's a multilayer trailer. Killing is all you'll be doing.

Also, it's Dubstep, not Techno.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Well geez NaughtyDog!! Fine ok ok I'll pre-order it :mad: *mumble* customization *mumble* late as shyt. Now I guess my all time favorite game posters hanging up in my room will finally have to come down after all these years :( *sigh*

Sorry Chie & friends?! At least you'll stay in my closet rolled up in bubble wrap until Persona 5 hits the PS3 ok? But just pray in case Red Dead 3 doesn't hit in the next 4 years by then. I won't be responsible.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Irridium said:
And how will the co-op modes be this time around? Or are they not announcing that yet?

Because the co-op modes in Uncharted 2 are criminally ignored by people for some reason.
Yeah I loved the co op modes, but not many people went into it :(

Apr 28, 2008
HankMan said:
Hooray for sprinting! Now we can see if Nathan's legs are as fast as his mouth
Alfador_VII said:
TheHecatomb said:

I was wondering about that. I've never played an Uncharted game (more than a demo) but from what I understand about the game, this soundtrack just didn't mesh.
I mean: Treasure hunting to techno?
Also: "I want to kill, everybody in the world"
No, just No
At least its not yet another "epic" and "orchestral" soundtrack thats in every game these days. Yeah the lyrics sucked, but hell, at least it was different.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Awful choice of music, was a bit distracting. Gameplay looks solid, though.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sinclose said:
Marik2 said:
Irridium said:

Yeah I loved the co op modes, but not many people went into it :(
I thought I was the only one who thought that. Yeah, it sucks how ignored they are. :(

Here's to hoping there'll be a plethora of coop objective missions this time!

OT:Loved the multiplayer of Uncharted 2, can't wait for this one. It's one of the rare games where I care about the multiplayer without any technical hindrances most of the time >.>
Only thing I didnt like about the co op mode was that normal mode was pretty grueling without a full team (they should have had 4 player co op instead of 3).

And crushing mode was near impossible

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hopefully they'll get matchmaking right this time. Loading up the game for the first time and being paired up against people who had clearly been playing for months was, to quote Mr. Drake himself, "SO NOT COOL!"

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
nice trailer
Uncharted 3 looks sweet.

I found out this is a Skillex(reading is good for you kids) song and its from a genre called "dubstep" but what is the name of the song??
It's "Kill Everybody - Bare Noize Remix"