Buy the New Alice Game, Get the Original for Free

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Buy the New Alice Game, Get the Original for Free

It's been a long time coming, but console gamers will finally get to experience the delights Alice's first outing in her twisted Wonderland.

Poor Alice: It's bad enough that her grasp on reality has started to get a little shaky again, but to make matters worse, it's dredging up all kinds of old memories. Specifically, the memories of the events of American McGee's Alice - Madness Returns' [http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Madness-Returns-Playstation-3/dp/B004CDBP9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303219234&sr=8-1] predecessor - which is coming to consoles as a bonus for purchasers of the new game.

The original game came out for the PC in 2000. As with Madness Returns, it was a darker and more violent interpretation of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass stories, where the once whimsical world of Wonderland had been warped and twisted by Alice's own troubled mind. The game was supposed to come to the PS2, but unfortunately never quite made it, making it the sole purview of PC gamers for more than a decade.

The release of Madness Returns will change all that though, as American McGee said that people who buy the game will receive a code that will allow them to download the original game as well. McGee didn't say anything about the game being available to those who hadn't purchased Madness Returns, but it's hard to imagine EA keeping it completely exclusive. As well as the first game, Madness Returns will feature downloadable dresses which will grant Alice new abilities and "enhance" the way players make their way through the game. Exactly how these will work isn't clear however.

Alice: Madness Returns comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on June 14th in North America and June 16th in Europe.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298527/news/alice-madness-returns-to-include-original-alice/]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
So is it an HD remake, or just a port? Either way, this is pretty cool. The game is as hard as hell to find for a reasonable price.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'm assuming this is a download code for the platform you bought it on. although could do what dragon age 2 did, giving a free PC ONLY copy of MA2 as a download. either way, i didn't need another reason to buy this game, but i think this has pushed it up to a 'must preorder' thing ^^

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
I support! The original was frikkin genius, I love how they're helping people experience that as well, before the sequel arrives.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Ahh! I forked out £12 for the original on PC in anticipation of Madness Returns. Oh well, nothing wrong with owning it on multiple platforms :D

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Cool. I've been wanting to play Alice for awhile now, and Madness returns is looking pretty good. Do you only get the code if you pre-order it?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
So is it an HD remake, or just a port? Either way, this is pretty cool. The game is as hard as hell to find for a reasonable price.
I really hope they do the smart thing and update the original. Because, based on what I can find of screenshots and gameplay videos, it really doesn't hold up too well visually.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
So all that work I put into acquiring an original copy was pointless? *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I haven't seen enough of the new game to want it yet, but on the other hand, I have seen enough of the original to know I want to play that one. Seems kind of stupid they'd only offer it for free to people who buy the new game; it would make sense also to offer the original, at least for a small price as well. That way, more people play the original, more people get hooked, more people give you money. Isn't that how it works?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Yesssss!

I was getting this game anyway, but I hate playing sequels without having played the original, and I'd given up all hope of playing Alice, seeing as it's ultra-rare.

Nice move, American McGee.

[sub][sub]And EA, I suppose...[/sub][/sub]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
"Madness Returns will feature downloadable dresses which will grant Alice new abilities and "enhance" the way players make their way through the game."
Not sure how I feel about a game that designs and creates features before release just to add a higher cost to the game. Naturally, you don't have to download it however they basically designed the game to be incomplete. Functional but not the complete game.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Well I was definately going to buy it around a couple of days after its release maybe June 20th or so. But getting a free PC/PSN(maybe?) code of the original version as well? With my 2 games maximum policy, June will be all about these-->
- Alice 2: Madness Returns
- Infamous 2 (now because Uncharted 3 MP beta)

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
KaosuHamoni said:
I'd given up all hope of playing Alice, seeing as it's ultra-rare.
My thoughts exactly. Its been on my list of games to buy for ages as I like to support any game that tries to be different regardless of maker/publisher, but I've never seen it available.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I was sold the second they announced Madness Returns and this just adds extra incentive now. Granted I can just pull out my retail copy of Alice and play it any time anyway.

Apr 28, 2008
I was actually hoping it would find its way to GoG sooner or later.

Oh well, I still own it(and have it installed, go me!), but this is great for those who haven't played it. It really is a sweet game.