302: The World in a Chain Chomp

Kyle Orland

Nov 7, 2006
The World in a Chain Chomp

Look past the tanooki suits, the warp flutes, and that useless anchor, and you'll see how Super Mario Bros. 3 subverts players' expectations to make a game that feels truly magical.

Read Full Article

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
This I understand. The first one created the world, so already there is magic to it, so upping the ante could only be done in ways like this.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
^^truth

man, that angry sun always scared the crap out of me
why was it so menacing?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Kyle Orland said:
You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps ...
[HEADING=1]
?!?!?!?!?​
[/HEADING]

Dont know what chain chomp is!? HERETIC!!!! BURN THE HERETICS!!!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Hmmm, yeah Mario 3 was awesome...but this story seems little late.
Incorrect, Starscream - your visual nano-circuits have neglected to notice the logic in this feature due to the the Nintendo celebration theme of this week's Escapist.

That's a nice crown, by the way. Soundwave is enjoying your inauguration ceremony. Wait... Is that a purple spaceship I see swooping in overhead?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
bdcjacko said:
Incorrect, Starscream - your visual nano-circuits have neglected to notice the logic in this feature due to the the Nintendo celebration theme of this week's Escapist.

That's a nice crown, by the way. Soundwave is enjoying your inauguration ceremony. Wait... Is that a purple spaceship I see swooping in overhead?
Pfft whatever you're uncruzamatic.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
bdcjacko said:
MiracleOfSound said:
bdcjacko said:

Pfft whatever you're uncruzamatic.
Why you little...

Im'ma let Rumble handle this one.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sucal said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Why you little...

Im'ma let Rumble handle this one.
Seems more like a job for Ravage
Rumble is more eloquent with his retorts. I do not wish to harm Starscream physically, merely abuse his intellect through exploiting his inflated sense of pride.

[small]this is all making me very 80s nostalgic[/small]

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
I replayed SMB3 a couple of months ago, for the first time in well over a decade, and was surprised by the number of series staples which first appeared here.
Kinda miss the days when every new release in a series displayed a noticeable evolution of gameplay mechanics.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Nintendo knew (And still knows) how to make the little moments in their games some of the most memorable.

Sniper430

The Choose
Sep 2, 2009
"You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps - the toothy, black, ball-on-a-chain [***] guard dogs that first appear in level 2-5 - could actually break free from their eponymous chains"~From the article

The word I made into asterisks seems like it shouldn't be there... maybe I'm wrong.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I remember Kuribo's Shoe, even though I never really got an opportunity to use it. Didn't find out the real name till years later, though, so me, my brothers, and my brothers friend would always just call it "The Bootie". Still do, and not just because "The Bootie" is so much more fun to say than "Kuribo's Shoe".

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
This article summarizes everything that was cool about SMB3 in the best way I ever see. I support this article.

greyhoundpoe

Captain Obvious
Mar 14, 2011
Sniper430 said:
"You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps - the toothy, black, ball-on-a-chain [***] guard dogs that first appear in level 2-5 - could actually break free from their eponymous chains"~From the article

The word I made into asterisks seems like it shouldn't be there... maybe I'm wrong.
It certainly brings to mind other connotations today.

The author is using "cum" in the Latin sense, as in "summa cum laude". It's pronounced "coom", and means "with" or "also serving as".

Carbonic Penguin

Jul 7, 2009
I remember playing when I was a little kiddie.. One hour, I just kept replaying 2-5, waiting by the first chomp, and running after it broke free... How did I find out they did that in the first place??