Ex-Nintendo Exec: Stupid People Shouldn't Have Sex

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Ex-Nintendo Exec: Stupid People Shouldn't Have Sex

Former Nintendo marketing executive Perrin Kaplan has called out irresponsible parenting and hinted at her return to the industry.

After leaving Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/72585] and videogames at the end of 2007, former vice president Perrin Kaplan founded Zebra Partners, a marketing firm with interests in gaming that will launch when her non-compete agreement with Nintendo ends this December.

Speaking at the Penny Arcade Expo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/pax/2008], Kaplan announced that she would return to industry as soon as possible.

"I have not left the gaming industry for good. I love it," she proclaimed.

While serving as a panelist at a table about sex and violence in gaming with What They Play's John Davison, Grand Theft Childhood co-author Cheryl Olson and Newsweek's N'Gai Croal, Kaplan commented about the lack of proper parenting over kids who game.

Kaplan stated, "Parents who use videogames as a babysitter shouldn't have sex to begin with."

Source: Spong [http://news.spong.com/article/16118/Ex-Nintendo_VP_Kaplan_Ban_Sex_for_Lazy_Parents?cb=989] via GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/01/ex-nintendo-exec-perrin-kaplan-bad-parents-should-be-banned-having-sex]

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
ooh, I agree. I Agree. A lot. Seriously, if you're not responsible enough to monitor what your kids are playing, than you have no right to be a parent

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Watch the movie idiocracy. Mike Judge, Luke Wilson, Dystopian future where everyone is stupid for that reason.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
It's an easy solution. Release a lot of sterile stupid-people into the population to stunt it's growth.

They do the same thing with mosquitoes.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Perrin Kaplan: "Parents who use videogames as a babysitter shouldn't have sex to begin with."
The Escapist: "Stupid People Shouldn't Have Sex"
Spong: "Ban Sex for Lazy Parents"
GamePolitics: "Bad Parents should be banned from having sex"

Nice to see games journalists are just as good at sensationalising as their mainstream counterparts. This sites news articles are becoming more like reading a tabloid by the week.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Souplex post=7.70278.686658 said:
Watch the movie idiocracy. Mike Judge, Luke Wilson, Dystopian future where everyone is stupid for that reason.
Beat me to it, but because I can't stress this enough, I shall now just pop out and blatantly say GO WATCH IDIOCRASY IT IS AWESOME! (if not highly disturbing).

Mar 26, 2008
Souplex post=7.70278.686658 said:
So true; that film is an eerie glimpse into the future.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Cousin_IT post=7.70278.686743 said:
Perrin Kaplan: "Parents who use videogames as a babysitter shouldn't have sex to begin with."

Nice to see games journalists are just as good at sensationalising as their mainstream counterparts. This sites news articles are becoming more like reading a tabloid by the week.
Ah, but we clicked on it, didn't we?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Logan Frederick post=7.70278.686402 said:
Kaplan stated, "Parents who use videogames as a babysitter shouldn't have sex to begin with."

I love this woman.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I've always liked Perrin Kaplan, even when she was the messenger of bad news. This just reaffirms my faith in her and my hope that she'll come back to the games industry sooner. You're awesome at what you do! Come back to us!

And yes, I agree with this sentiment in totality - poor parenting and upbringing in general (I still believe a bad school and peers can break someone otherwise raised fine) is a terrible thing.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Shigeru Miyamoto was at that panel? It didn't say that in the book or on the website. I would have gone if I knew he was going to be there. Of course I'm surprised they didn't make a much bigger deal out of his presence. Was he really there?

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
...Why couldn't she have been the one on stage at this years cruddy E3? She would have at least made the blow of Nintendo sucking this year that much easier to take.

Anyway, back on topic. I do whole heartadly (SP?) agree. I only wish there was a way from stopping these assholes from having kids in the first place.

Stooman

Feb 27, 2008
Cousin_IT post=7.70278.686743 said:

haha glad im not the only one to have thought that. I am purposely going to have to look at the Daily Mail now for whatever 'middle-England' sensationalist headline they choose to run with, probably something like ?Gamers shouldn?t have sex? or ?Nintendo calls working mothers bad parents?.