Neil Gaiman's Doctor Who Episode is a "Game-Changer"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Neil Gaiman's Doctor Who Episode is a "Game-Changer"

Spaceship graveyard? The Doctor in love? "Game-changer", you say? Go on ...

In case you hadn't heard, <a href=http://www.denofgeek.com/television/412180/confirmed_neil_gaiman_to_write_doctor_who_episode.html>Neil Gaiman wrote an episode for the new season of Doctor Who. The news, naturally, caused seizures of joy throughout the fan community of both the show and the writer, and now Gaiman has started talking a little about what the episode will be like.

According to Gaiman, the episode will be a "game-changer" for the series. Also, the story takes place in a spaceship graveyard where The Doctor will, apparently, fall in love. When asked to clarify how his episode will be a game-changer, Gaiman explained:

I think any good Doctor Who episode is going to make you see the show in a whole new way. Because the glorious thing about Doctor Who is, everything that works adds a little bit to the mythos. And you know, some of the shows that have added the most to the mythos didn't actually change anything. They were things like 'City of Death,' where you just go, 'No, this actually... Here is the platonic ideal.' 'Blink.' 'Girl in the Fireplace.' It's a perfect Doctor Who episode. The fact that the Doctor falls in love isn't what makes it work.

And so for my episode, I hoped that what will work is kids watching it, hiding behind cushions and hiding behind the sofa. And I hope it'll be the equivalent of what my daughter did when she was watching one of the episodes where she wound up quietly, silently soaking my T-shirt with tears while she was watching. I would like it if, somewhere, maybe a kid will do that. That's, I think, the most important stuff that you do to the mythos, which is that you give somebody something glorious to remember and take with them."

The sixth season starts this week, and I couldn't be more excited for Mr. Gaiman's episode. On top of that, Mark Sheppard (better known as Badger in Firefly) is scheduled to appear in for a few episodes, as will the delightful/dangerous character River Song (whose origins will supposedly be explained a bit more). It's time to set your DVRs, folks.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/#!5792879/neil-gaiman-explains-why-his-doctor-who-episode-is-a-game+changer>io9

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I'm so excited for new Who that its sickening.

Like seriously, I've been counting the days for a month. Requested the day off of work so I won't miss the new series premiere.

In other words, can't wait.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
I will admit, I was slightly more interested in the new series when I heard Gaiman was going to be writing an episode. Damn, I'll have to actually watch the series now. I kinda lost interest a wee bit after Russell Davies left.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Why is nearly every episode a "gamechanger"? it's like we're supposed to think these episodes are epic simply because we're told they are. Just write a good episode, we'll decide if they're epic enough.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
A Space [b/]Graveyard[/b] huh? I wonder if a boy called Bod will live there...

Also this sounds so much like Gaiman. I'd bet a fiver there's also a God, a fairytale and a spider woman somewhere in there.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Meh Gaiman. Meh.

But very excited for Doctor Who. My husband turned me into a Who fan in the space of several weeks; I'd never seen the show before, and when all the episodes hit Netflix for streaming a while back before the new stuff with Matt Smith aired, he made me watch them all with him so I'd be caught up. It took me a while to warm to Matt Smith, but I've accepted him now... the Doctor, Rory, and Amy are great together. Not a fan of the new TARDIS or Dalek design though... did Apple design those Daleks? Can I dock my iPhone on them?

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
I get nervous whenever someone working on a show calls what they are doing a "Game changer". Bad things happen.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
So glad I live in the UK, even though we don't get all of the good American stuff, we do get our own stuff to make up for it. Also Neil Gaiman and Doctor Who! Hell yes!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gaiman name drops my all-time favorite episode as the effect his will have. And a space graveyard? What could be in it?
Remnants of the Time War? Broken Tardis? Demolished Dalek Ships? Broken pieces of the Citadel? Dead Gods? A dying Timelord?
What Could It Be?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
WHY IS THIS YEAR SO AWESOME. Portal 2, Skyrim, Doctor Who, Duke Nukem, GAH!

Anyway I canny wait for the new doctor who, this is just icing on an already delicious cake!

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
Wondrous news, looking forward to Gaiman's episode and most of the new season. But do they really have to bring back River Song again? I hated her character in the Library episodes, and was thoroughly disappointed that she was in so much of the last season. I would be happy if she vanished and never came back. What about Jenny instead? I want to see the Doctor's daughter!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm not a fan of River Song. Not the character, but the annoying way she continues to say "spoilers!". Fuck off then.

Other than that, it should be good. Last series suffered from too many multiple part episodes, lets see if they can do a little better on this one. Interested to see how the Amy-Doctor-Rory relationship pans out now that she's married to Rory..