Sony Delays Both Last Guardian and Ico/SotC Collection

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Delays Both Last Guardian and Ico/SotC Collection

Everything currently in development at Team Ico has been pushed back.

Today is a sad day for Team Ico fans. Sony Computer Entertainment of America has announced that both the The Last Guardian [http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Shadow-Colossus-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5FG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303319869&sr=8-2] have been delayed past their previously expected release dates.

SCEA Santa Monica producer Tsubasa Inaba officially confirmed the delays on the PlayStation Blog. He didn't give any recalculated release windows, so we're only left to wonder for now.

The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection was originally scheduled to come out on the PS3 in spring 2011. The compilation includes both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, originally released on the PS2, in HD with stereoscopic 3D support, high resolution textures, and trophies.

The PS3's Last Guardian is Team Ico's next effort at making a game that everyone will probably cite in "games as art" arguments. Players take on the role of a boy trying to escape from a massive structure of ruins with the help of a giant animal named Trico that looks like a cross between a griffin and a chihuahua. Its visual style is reminiscent of both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, while the game is also said to include thematic similarities. It was scheduled for release in the holiday season of 2011, and has likely been pushed into 2012 with this delay.

Team Ico game director Fumito Ueda said that his development team is working hard, but that Last Guardian was delayed "to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users." He adds: "I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for The Last Guardian for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time."

Last Guardian is one of those titles that fans wanted the instant they heard about it. The delay is especially heartbreaking when combined with the fact that we won't have the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection to tide us over as soon either.

Source: PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/19/update-on-the-last-guardian-and-icoshadow-of-the-colossus-collection/]

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Damnit! Of all the things to be delayed why did it have to be these, the things i'm most looking forward to other than Dark Souls. At least it lowers the amount of games I want to buy this year. But it increases the amount of games I want next year, damn I just can't win can I?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I already knew about this. It sucks, but I more or less saw it coming.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Disappointing. I haven't played Ico or SotC and I was planning to play through them on the HD version.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zing said:
Disappointing. I haven't played Ico or SotC and I was planning to play through them on the HD version.
Pretty much what i was going to say right there.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, crap.

The Last Guardian is the game that will get me to buy a PS3.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Sadly, I don't have a big No! .jpg to use. I already own both Ico and SotC but will buy them again simply to support the developers.

Surprisingly, I don't mind the delay in Last Guardian as too many games get rushed out for a pre-set deadline.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Ughhhhh
the reason this pisses me off is because you just know that the only reason TLG is being pushed back so far is because Sony forced the same team to work on their stupid HD remakes as a priority. That and Sony is just hemorrhaging shit left and right these days.

Oh well, I guess I have enough goddamn games on my plate for this year, so something to look forward to in the future. I feel like by the time it comes out I will be forced to buy a PS4 to play it though. Considering TLG was being advertised for PS3 when I first bought my PS3, it's kind of obnoxious.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Zhukov said:
Well, crap.

This.

I am still strongly thinking of adding a console to my life for the re-releases. I don't doubt that Last Guardian will be a great addition to the ICO library.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Huh? Wuzzat? Ico something? Whatever. Just make sure we still get Twisted Metal this year, and maybe I can start to forgive you for all your shit this year, Sony.

Back to Portal 2 now!

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
Kind of narky about the push back. Then again, the originals are in a shelf barely two feet away from me, with the PS2 to play them not much further. Between that and the inevitability of this announcement, I suppose I can't grumble too much. I guess absence will make the heart grow fonder regarding The Last Guardian too.

fealubryne

Jan 26, 2011
Croaker42 said:
Zhukov said:
Well, crap.

This.

I am still strongly thinking of adding a console to my life for the re-releases. I don't doubt that Last Guardian will be a great addition to the ICO library.
This and this. I'm not big on the whole console thing, usually more than happy with my PC, but Last Guardian made me consider getting a PS3 and the announcement of the re-releases pretty much solidified it.

Sigh. And the wait continues.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Sweet now It'll actually be a fair battle next year. Elizabeth was gettin lonely though.

"Hey there"