Thor, Captain America Sequels Part of Marvel Film Explosion

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Thor, Captain America Sequels Part of Marvel Film Explosion

Marvel Studios and Disney are already planning sequels for Thor and Captain America, in addition to a mass of other superhero films.

Marvel Studios' Thor and Captain America haven't even been released yet, but the company is already planning for sequels as part of the future of superhero films. President Kevin Feige says that the release of Avengers will begin a "new era" for the genre thanks to the partnership [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94313-Disney-to-Buy-Marvel-Comics] between Marvel and Disney.

IGN got a look at an upcoming issue of Disney Twenty-Three magazine which features an interview with Feige. He says that Iron Man [http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Trilogy-X2-United-Blu-ray/dp/B001PPGAKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303327678&sr=8-1] was the "dawn of the Marvel Studios age and the establishment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe," while the upcoming Avengers is the "next big step."

Following Avengers, the first Marvel film to come out of Disney, Feige confirms that Thor and Captain America will be back in stories that differ from their films set for 2011. "Thor will go off into a new adventure, and Captain America will continue to explore the modern world in another film of his own," he said.

Feige didn't stop there. He also said that members of the Avengers such as Black Widow, Hawkeye, and even the spy organization S.H.I.E.L.D. are "more than worthy and capable of carrying their own films." He adds: "We've got a lot of other characters we're prepping and getting ready for film debuts: the world of martial arts, these great cosmic space fantasies, Dr. Strange, and the magic side of the Marvel Universe."

That's a lot of Marvel movies. "Martial arts" hints toward a previously rumored quest for the Infinity Gems [http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist-Vol-Story/dp/0785124896/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303328329&sr=1-2]. Marvel is obviously banking on Avengers to change the game when it comes to superhero movies, so going by Feige's words we can expect to see a lot more from the company on the big screen beyond 2012.

Source: IGN [http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1162772p1.html]

awol360

May 11, 2010
Compared to the number of people who would want a GOOD X-Men, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron-Man, Captain America, or Avengers movie, I have yet to meet anyone who has said, " You know what would be really cool, an Iron Fist or Thanos movie."
In fact, more than a few of my friends have said, " Who are Iron Fist and Thanos."
To be quite blunt, I have no idea who Thanos is, or what he does.

Personally, I hear a ton of people asking for a Deadpool movie, and I would agree with that . . . if they did it well.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
This could be good news. Except for "Hulk", which I try to forget, I have enjoyed every Marvel movie I've seen, which I believe is most of them. And there certainly is many exciting, awesome, wonderful, interesting, unique etc characters, settings and worlds to draw on.
And, let's not forget, comics are weird. Which is usually fun.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Great, I'm hope they go on to make films about lesser known heros.

Moon Knight anyone?

laryri

May 19, 2008
awol360 said:
Compared to the number of people who would want a GOOD X-Men, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron-Man, Captain America, or Avengers movie, I have yet to meet anyone who has said, " You know what would be really cool, an Iron Fist or Thanos movie."
In fact, more than a few of my friends have said, " Who are Iron Fist and Thanos."

Personally, I hear a ton of people asking for a Deadpool movie, and I would agree with that . . . if they did it well.
Generally you use movies and tv shows to let people know who the characters are. Iron Man wasn't very well known until the movie came out. As for Deadpool, Fox still have the rights to make movies out of him so they can't really do anything there.

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
I'm in for an Iron Fist movie. Great Kung-Fu action and guaranteed to bring Luke Cage to the big screen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm all up for these possible future movies just as long the quality still remain good.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I only like a couple of the Marvel movies but I could really get behind an infinity gauntlet movie.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
You know what needs to happen? Disney needs to sell the rights to Marvel to someone who isn't, you know, DISNEY.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
You do know that Disney owns Dimension, Miramax, Touchstone and Pixar, right? Add to that Marvel Studios, which would actually be doing the production. Plenty of 'Adult' movies have been made under the Disney banner without your knowledge, so I wouldn't worry about them churning out nothing but kid friendly fare.

Also, for those wanting them to work on X-Men, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Deadpool, Wolverine, Spider-man, Punisher or the Fantastic Four, don't hold your breath. Those rights still belong to other movie studios.

Personally, I want to see something come of this Pixar Ant-Man movie rumor I've heard. I think that would be a fantastic film.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
brunothepig said:
This could be good news. Except for "Hulk", which I try to forget, I have enjoyed every Marvel movie I've seen, which I believe is most of them. And there certainly is many exciting, awesome, wonderful, interesting, unique etc characters, settings and worlds to draw on.
And, let's not forget, comics are weird. Which is usually fun.
Which Hulk movie are you talking about? "Hulk" wasn't made by Marvel Studios.

I've never heard of IronFist, but a Doctor Strange movie would be cool.

I think that Marvel are counting their chickens before they hatch. While I pray that Avengers will be awesome, we won't know till it's released, and green lighting more films based on it's yet to be confirmed success seems like a bad move.

L33tMarvin

Feb 18, 2009
laryri said:
awol360 said:

Generally you use movies and tv shows to let people know who the characters are. Iron Man wasn't very well known until the movie came out. As for Deadpool, Fox still have the rights to make movies out of him so they can't really do anything there.
WHAT YOU DONT KNOW WHO THANOS IS?THANOS RAGE *spams thanos power ball*

Heppo

Feb 16, 2011
I liked the second Hulk movie and I've read theres no plans for a sequel. I'll be suprised if Thor will be a bigger hit. I'm going to watch it but I know most my mates didn't even know that Thor was in the marvel universe!

I can see the captain America film doing well. Just because its a well known name.

I much prefer the animated stuff that marvel are doing. Like 'Hulk vs' and the avenger movies. The movies never seem to have the greatness of the characters, must be because they need to change things slightly (or a lot in Wolverines case(for no reason!)) for a audiance that arn't generally familiar with the characters.

But anyhow to sum up Wolverine prequel, Iron man 2, and the 1st Hulk sucked and Thor looks a little sucky (although i'm sure I'll love it)... All the animated features are good.... Why cant the animated teams direct the live action movies? At least they've read the comics!