Science Turns Paraplegic Into Walking Cyborg

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Science Turns Paraplegic Into Walking Cyborg

A new exoskeleton system for people with physical disabilities is showing some pretty impressive results when it comes to helping them walk again.

Science is one step closer to creating a commercial device that will help disabled individuals walk under their own power. A new video has surfaced on the Web, showcasing <a href=http://www.argomedtec.com/products.asp>the ReWalk system. The system is currently undergoing clinical testing, but it certainly looks impressive.

The man seen here in the video is Radi Kaiof, the first person to use the suit (which he started testing two years ago). Prior to using the ReWalk, Radi had been confined to a wheelchair for twenty years. Partway through the video, Kaiof explains that the ReWalk doesn't just provide physical convenience; the payoff is emotional, too. "I feel normal, you know? I stand, and I feel tall. It's fantastic for me."

While it's not exactly the most subtle outfit, the ReWalk seems to let people move at what appears to seem like a slightly slow, but regular, walking pace. On top of that, the battery (worn as a backpack) lasts for up to eight hours. There's also a remote that users wear on their wrists to control different types of pre-programmed actions, like sitting or climbing stairs. However, it's currently priced at $150,000, so it seems unlikely that we'll be seeing a lot of people using the system in the streets anytime soon.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
The true question is...Can you fit it out with rocket boots?

OT: That is awesome. I just hope it becomes cheaper so that disabled people can afford it.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Evilsanta said:
The true question is...Can you fit it out with rocket boots?

OT: That is awesome. I just hope it becomes cheaper so that disabled people can afford it.
OH Jesus, the moment that happens the more people you'll start see trying to imitate Sam Gideon from Vanquish.

*Power slides into a robot and drop kicks it*

Bad ASS.

This has actually made me smile none the less. Disabled people finally getting to share the experience of walking. An act that most people take for granted.

FINALLY Science has done something awesome and in no way harmful towards humanity......*Waits for the Jinx to kick in*

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Screw wars, politics, greed and corruption.

Time to help our brothers and sisters around the world. Things like these need to be further researched and developed so that we can all live in relative peace and normality.

Seeing these vids, and the reaction of the people involved, definitely gives a +1 faith in humanity.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Not pictured:

Radi screaming like a little girl running from person to person yelling, "Omaigawd, omaigawd, omaigawd, I'm paralyzed, and I'm walking! Can you believe this shit?! This is the best thing ever! I'm going to go jump off something!"

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Wow. This is great. Sure it's slow, but so was the first airplane. As far as I remember that barely got off the ground. Now the top speed is... well I don't want to go look but it's fast enough it doesn't matter to the average person. I digress. It will bet better, stronger, faster... If you'll allow me to quote 6 million dollar man.
Price will fall too. It's just a matter of time.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
This is just amazing, love stories like this, this could also make the paralimpics a hell of a lot more interesting...

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
His is awesome! A big leap in helping disabled people!
It also makes me feel like a giant ass for complaining about having to walk distances, when people like Radi can't walk at all.
Chameliondude said:
This is just amazing, love stories like this, this could also make the paralimpics a hell of a lot more interesting...
So I'm not the only one imagining Paralympics with machine-assisted people jumping hundreds of feet and running at the speed of the average jetplane.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
That is fucking amazing. I cannot wait to see how much more we can do to overcome our problems if we can do this.