CryEngine 2 Turns Crash Bandicoot Into the Stuff of Nightmares

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
CryEngine 2 Turns Crash Bandicoot Into the Stuff of Nightmares

Some dedicated modders show us all what Crash Bandicoot would have looked like if it had been made 15 years and 2 console generations later.

After 18 games, three developers, and at least three different genres, you'd think the world was done with Crash Bandicoot. However, some Crash fans and CryEngine modders decided that you can never have enough Crash, and have set themselves to the task of remaking the original 1996 Naughty Dog-created Crash Bandicoot in one of today's most graphically impressive engines.

And damn, those graphics really do look great. The details of the lush forest backdrop of the first level look fantastic, and the level design is nearly an exact match to the original game. So as far as the design and look are concerned, this game is a triumph of modding ability. Considering Crash Bandicoot was one of the big franchises on the PS1 and PS2, it's actually sort of surprising that no Crash platformers have been made for the PS3. Perhaps this mod, which the authors are calling Crash Bandicoot HD, will act as a wake-up-call to the powers that be.

On the other hand, I am afraid of the actual character model of Crash Bandicoot. Its blank stare and too-wide grin are just plain terrifying to behold, and his movements seem awfully stiff and creepy. The start menu is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen in gaming, and I never want to see it again.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298818/news/stunning-crash-bandicoot-mod-uses-cryengine-2/]

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
This looks bad tbh

Makes me think of the horrible way they changed Banjo's look in Nuts&Bolts

CAPtcha:Some Chapple
Umm Ok?

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Did you notice the trap before he fell into it? Shoes nicely how awful the graphic design of most current games is at conveying relevant information to the player as long as the waterfall in the distance looks amazing.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Well, now it looks like a mutant escaped from captivity, and is now running around on an island with a blank, soul-less stare.

Thanks for the nightmares.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Looked so cool and yet so creepy....

Oh and lets see them make the Sunset Vista or Stormy Accent level.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I think it looks pretty cool. Minus the absolutely terrifying Crash of course. That reminds me: who owns Crash Bandicoot now? Is it Vivendi Universal or Travelers Tales?

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
Screw this man, the graphics were amazing but I don't care, let there not be a remake of crash if he looks so creepy like that....

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
The Rascal King said:
I think it looks pretty cool. Minus the absolutely terrifying Crash of course. That reminds me: who owns Crash Bandicoot now? Is it Vivendi Universal or Travelers Tales?
Whatever Universal became

OT:and another reason my childhood is being ruined by today's consoles and companies

Apr 28, 2008
That song brings back memories.

But I'd rather have Crash stay down. He had his run, its done now. It was a great run(at least the PS1 was a great run), but yeah, its over.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
The environments looked great, especially the waterfall but Crash looked like one of those mascots you see at football matches. Except of course he doesn't eat cheerleaders...yet

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
That actually looks like it'd be horrible to play. I know I can't see the controller but judging by the sluggish way he moved I can see everything being really unresponsive. And the camera seems a tad annoying too.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
They really need to put work into it in the animations and spins, (and start menu) but when fully done I would definately give it a go.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Kill it with fire! That's all I'm going to say... I mean hey it's not like I wanted to sleep tonight anyway...