Rumor: Concept Designs for Nintendo's "Project Cafe" Surface

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Concept Designs for Nintendo's "Project Cafe" Surface

Grainy photos of what could be the Nintendo Wii successor are now available for perusal.

An overwhelming number of more powerful than the Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109268-New-Nintendo-Console-Confirmed-for-E3]. Adding to the heap, three images of rumored Project Cafe concept art have now surfaced.

Project Cafe is said to feature a controller with an embedded touchscreen that might also stream games. These images show a touchscreen controller and accompanying text talks about "Screen Stream." The readable text says: "Screen Stream takes the 1080p image and pushes each rendered quarter to the player's personal screen." Following text hints that the television can then be turned off during a multiplayer game, allowing for private, local multiplayer. Further, a second paragraph of text may indicate that two players using the same Project Cafe can play different Virtual Console games on their controllers at the same time.

[gallery=211]

This would also seem to confirm that Project Cafe will bring Nintendo into the true HD era, as the Wii only supported a resolution of 480p. Super Mario Bros. in 1080p? Say it ain't so.

The problem with these images is that Project Cafe mock-ups have been flying around the internet since it was first unveiled by the rumor mill. These are pretty good fakes, if they're fake, as some of the little details in the images give them an official air: the side diagrams, the text that's only partially revealed, etc.

Of course, they could just be pretty good fakes designed to not look fake. Of all places, they were apparently first revealed on notorious message board 4chan. Nintendo is pretty good at keeping the lid on things, so we may have to wait a month-and-a-half until E3 2011 begins on June 7 to find out the truth.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gupeh/potential_project_cafe_leaked_image/]

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
"Of all places, they were apparently first revealed on notorious message board 4chan."

I lol'd.

OT: Even if its fake that looks damm fine. It could bring nintendo back into the brutal AAA war.

Crappy pun: That controller, it looks so touching

EDIT: So many puns in here. It makes me sad that mine sucked.

Crolley

Jun 4, 2010
All that effort spent on ridding myself of the habit of looking down at the lights on my controller... meaningless!

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Ok now I'm gonna call BS, 4 controllers each with it's own touch screen? A console powerful enough to rival the PS3 and 360? No, there's no way such a thing will exist without running over $600 (and I'm being generous). Also, if we get another new console, say goodbye to seeing less than $60 games cause it ain't happening as long as we keep investing in gimmicky and ludicrously expensive game consoles

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I would assume a real controller would look more like the DS than those controllers up there. I'm going with fake.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
HankMan said:
That's... interesting
I think it could work if handled correctly.
Agreed.
For the sake of argument, and they are indeed real. (No project dolphin? Disappointing =()
If anyone could pull it off, it would be the big N.
I mean, they are at the forefront of the latest interface hardware, and seem to be more interested in incorporating it into gameplay rather than basing it around one off gimmicks that the game revolves around these days. (The other two seem perfectly happy to run with the 'me too' equivalents they bring to the table, much like the Wii did with it's initial lineup.)

Time will tell I suppose.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
Like Gamecube controllers can be used with the Wii. Here's my money on the 3DS being an accepted substitute controller for whatever the final spec's of next gen is. Its already got the built in screen and motion control.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
Well nintendo's investors meeting is the 26th so if they are making a new system im sure they would want to reassure their investors of it

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
qbanknight said:
Ok now I'm gonna call BS, 4 controllers each with it's own touch screen? A console powerful enough to rival the PS3 and 360? No, there's no way such a thing will exist without running over $600 (and I'm being generous). Also, if we get another new console, say goodbye to seeing less than $60 games cause it ain't happening as long as we keep investing in gimmicky and ludicrously expensive game consoles
Why do you say that? Sony is finally profitable with the PS3 hardware at $299; by the time Nintendo launches its Wii 2 (assuming this is all correct) I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't launch a PS3-comparable console at that price range, even with the touch screens. Keep in mind that it'll likely only include one or two controllers bundled in.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
HankMan said:
That's... interesting
I think it could work if handled correctly.
You good Sir, have placed me in stiches with your touching statement

But wait... if I read that broken off text right. You buy a console to place a 1080p inage onto the hand held system... PLEASE tell me a TV is involved here somewhere, and if it is, why do I wanna look at two screens at once (one up close on the hand held and one far away)

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Well Movie Bob called it...I owe that man a beer. Still not buying this Nintendo I got enough consoles already.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
The concept console looks like something MS would dream up for the next X-box release. I still like the look.
But the idea of touch screen controllers confuses me. I mean what?s the point?
If they are trying to cross the lines between handheld and console gaming that fine and dandy. But how will it play? It seems kind of silly to be ignoring the TV and stare at the controller. If handled correctly it could make split screen shooters a great experience.
So yes I am apprehensive.
And await more news and confirmed specs.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
tghm1801 said:
I'm not feeling it.
See what I did there?
Cus the controllers have touch screens?
Feeling it?

Never mind.
it's okay, trying to touch a sensitive subject like this can just be handling it all wrong

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
John Funk said:
qbanknight said:
Why do you say that? Sony is finally profitable with the PS3 hardware at $299; by the time Nintendo launches its Wii 2 (assuming this is all correct) I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't launch a PS3-comparable console at that price range, even with the touch screens. Keep in mind that it'll likely only include one or two controllers bundled in.
Oh I think they could enter the market for a decent price range, but whether or not they do is a different story. I get the feeling Nintendo might push something like this and try to get a bang for their buck. I'm estimating $499.99 - $599.99, as they state it's stronger than 360 and PS3, and I already know alot of people that wouldn't be able to resist that