Square Enix Unveils New Final Fantasy Type-0 Website

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Square Enix Unveils New Final Fantasy Type-0 Website

If you've been wondering what Final Fantasy Type-0 is going to be like, Square Enix has just launched an official site with a fair amount of info on it.

Square-Enix is having a big news day. First there was dubbed Final Fantasy Type-0.

The serves as a surprisingly in-depth teaser for the PSP game. It has sections for the story's prologue, details about the world, character details, a description of the battle system, and downloadable wallpaper. Of course, the site's all in Japanese right now, however, Andriasang has a nice summary of the game's backstory available:

This may be just me being confused, but the site lists different names for two of the game's four countries. Rubrum, the main country, and Milites, the invading nation, are the same. The other two are now called "The Lolica Commonwealth" and "Concordia Kingdom." Just as Rubrum is associated with the Suzaku crystal and magic and Milites is associated with the Byakko crystal and science, Lolica is associated with the Gebnu crystal and shield, and Concordia with the Souryuu crystal and dragons.

The character section includes three character descriptions for Ace, Queen, and Nine (I'm detecting a poker theme here), and it explains their different attacks and strengths/weaknesses on the battlefield. Unsurprisingly, the images on the site look stunning. If you can read Japanese, or just want to see the original images, check out the site; if the former isn't the case, then check out Andriasang's write-up.

Source: Andriasang

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Final Fantasy Type-What-Now?

This is news to me. Is this a new game or is this a branch-off of one of the current games? (I heard FF13 had two sequels coming out. Versus13 and... Another one. Is this the other one?)

Edit:
Turns out it's one of the sequels to 13. Cool. Hope it's better than its predecessor. HA-CHA!

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Seems like it's a different team from the main XIII guys. Given Square's track record on the PSP, this could be good. Interesting character designs too, it's like Nomura has dialed back the completely unnecessary belts.

Music and visuals seem kind of martial, so maybe they're going for more of a Valkyria Chronciles vibe this time around. It would definitely be a step in the right direction, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to get even more melodramatic.
The other two are now called "The Lolica Commonwealth" and "Concordia Kingdom."
Is it just me or is that..? Nevermind.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sounds pretty good to me. My PSP could use an FF game that isn't a remake or fighting game.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
tehweave said:
Turns out it's one of the sequels to 13. Cool. Hope it's better than its predecessor. HA-CHA!
I'm pretty sure it' a separate story just that it revolves around crystals just like 13 and versus do.

hope they release an English translation for the site sometime soon.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mireko said:
The other two are now called "The Lolica Commonwealth" and "Concordia Kingdom."
Is it just me or is that..? Nevermind.
I read it as "Lolita Commonwealth", and was surprised at how appropriate it sounded (given all the children and pre-teen love angst in jrpgs).

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Whoa, hang on a second. The trailer is.. awesome?!

Seriously. The art style and gameplay look great. I'm actually getting excited for a new Final Fantasy game. Please don't fuck this up, Square-Enix.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
mireko said:

Seriously. The art style and gameplay look great. I'm actually getting excited for a new Final Fantasy game. Please don't fuck this up, Square-Enix.

a.. Error Type:
Square-Enix FFScript runtime (0x800A000D)
Type mismatch: 'awesome'
/GETProject1/Milking.asp, line 1510

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I liked the name Agito better...but it's just a name. It does look pretty decent. I heard the gameplay was gonna be similar to the 3rd Birthday.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
mireko said:

Are you talking about that trailer that played Requiem for a Dream and tried to rip off Killzone by placing a bunch of unsubtle Nazi crap in the background?

And if they can't make a good sequel to a 13-year old game, they sure as hell can't make a good one to a one year old one.

Sorry if I sound sore around the posterior, butt I feel very mad about 3 sequels to the giant meh that was FF XIII.

Still, I'll try to save the rest of my rear agony for when the game comes out. Until then, I on the fence like Wiz Khalifa is on Black and Yellow.

Also, it's a good looking website, to Square's credit.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
mireko said:

Are you talking about that trailer that played Requiem for a Dream and tried to rip off Killzone by placing a bunch of unsubtle Nazi crap in the background?

And if they can't make a good sequel to a 13-year old game, they sure as hell can't make a good one to a one year old one.

Sorry if I sound sore around the posterior, butt I feel very mad about 3 sequels to the giant meh that was FF XIII.

Still, I'll try to save the rest of my rear agony for when the game comes out. Until then, I on the fence like Wiz Khalifa is on Black and Yellow.

Yes, that one.

(the one on the site)

If there's only one franchise in the world that could stand to be made 'darker and edgier', it's Final Fantasy. They had their shot at idealistic and silly fun, but that shot is gone. What they had in XIII was a flavorless mess, and they never really handled the transition from sprites to 3D models well.

At this point, they could either copy what Namco Bandai is doing with Tales, or add nazis. Since they won't do the former, adding nazis [small](btw, using nazis isn't really ripping off Killzone so much as ripping off, well, nazis)[/small] is a good idea. They make FPS games boring as all hell, but in a fantasy setting? With magic, Chocobos and Tonberries? It's so insane it could work. It's either that or adding moral ambiguity, which doesn't exactly seem like Square-Enix's forte.

As for the art style, the locales and cuts to the various insignias are nice and stark enough to keep me interested (granted, those are just cinematics). The character designs look good (at least to me), but maybe I'm just saying that because I like women in uniform. Enemies seem to be robots and monsters, as expected, but that still isn't bad.

I don't see Motomu Toriyama's name anywhere on the Wiki, so I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. It also doesn't really seem to have anything to do with XIII, which is another plus (and is also why they removed XIII from the title). Staying on the fence is perfectly reasonable, but I'll at least be keeping my eye on this one.

[small]Also not hearing Requiem for a Dream. I don't speak Japanese, is the voiceover all about drugs and ass-to-ass or do you really think this sounds like Lux Aeterna?[/small]

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
mireko said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
mireko said:

snip
[small]Also not hearing Requiem for a Dream. I don't speak Japanese, is the voiceover all about drugs and ass-to-ass or do you really think this sounds like Lux Aeterna?[/small]

Sorry, I was talking about this one:
I didn't watch the one on the site yet.

And it would've been better if they at least kinda made the Nazi references a bit more Jin Roh.

But then again, you said that guy from the original FF XIII and 3rd Birthday have no trace on the site, so I'm not totally mad. At least the music on the site sounds good and almost like something outta MGS.

EDIT: I just saw Third Birthday right by one of the developer credits on the site, so I'm totally mad again. If it's stating that 3rd Birthday is one of the things that person directed, anyways.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
-snip-
I didn't watch the one on the site yet.

And it would've been better if they at least kinda made the Nazi references a bit more Jin Roh.

But then again, you said that guy from the originAL FF XIII and 3rd Birthday have no trace on the site, so I'm not totally mad. At least the music on the site sounds good and almost like something outta MGS.
Wow, that one is pretty bad. Hope it isn't an official trailer. The one I mean is the leftmost option under "Special" on the site (&#12488;&#12524;&#12540;&#12521;). It has its share of cliches as well, but it's not as bad as that.

EDIT: I just saw Third Birthday right by one of the developer credits on the site, so I'm totally mad again. If it's stating that 3rd Birthday is one of the things that person directed, anyways.
It is worrying, isn't it? I suppose it comes down to whether 3rd Birthday suffered from poor direction (Tabata) or poor writing (Toriyama). Tabata directed Crisis Core too (which I also haven't played).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Maybe when they ditch the androgynous emo fucktards they put up as main characters and actually remember back to the SNES and PSX when they were able to produce GOOD (FF8 can get bent though) Final Fantasy games I will have some shred of interest in a new Final Fantasy title again. Until that time I will keep myself amused with the GBA/DS remakes of Square/Enix games that were actually worth a damn. I honestly think that the PSX was the last console to have what I'd rate as a good solid Final Fantasy that didn't have "tactics" in the name and wasn't a remake of a previous Final Fantasy.