PAX 2008: Resistance 2 Multiplayer Hands-On

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
PAX 2008: Resistance 2 Multiplayer Hands-On

Although Resistance 2's overall speed and handling are consistent with that of the original game, the aiming and other combat controls feel more fine-tuned and responsive. Subtle touches, like improved transitions to iron sights and scope views, also improve the game's overall feel.

The original Resistance was a good first-person shooter, and Insomniac seems to have applied their abundant talent to improving it further for Resistance 2. Their plans for the final game include a lengthy story-based single-player campaign which will continue the story of Resistance's main character, Sergeant Nathan Hale. Sony told me players can expect a much more personal story this time around, told from Hale's perspective with more in-engine cinematics.

Resistance 2 will also ship with a cooperative multiplayer campaign which will include scenarios that compliment the single-player storyline. Co-op will support up to eight players at a time, but will automatically scale back enemy numbers to support smaller parties as necessary. Sony also reports that Resistance 2 will include thorough integration of the PlayStation Network's newly added trophy system.

With single-player, competitive multiplayer, and separate co-op campaigns, Resistance 2 is an ambitious step forward for Insomniac, especially when you consider that they cut their modern first-person shooter teeth in 2006 with the original Resistance. Insomniac proved their platformer chops long ago with the Ratchet and Clank series, and they now appear poised to increase their standing as a solid first-person shooter studio. Resistance 2 will launch for the PlayStation 3 on November 4, 2008.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Really looking forward to this, mostly because of the eight player co-op. Killing Chimeran with seven friends? Yes please.

Nettacki

Feb 25, 2008
Eagle Est1986 post=6.70412.690877 said:
Looking good, liking the sound of the multiplayer and 8 player co-op? Awesomeness.
I couldn't agree more. Reading this is actually encouraging me to finish up the first game.

MARNEY

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, the game is great, i was lucky enough to play it a bit myself...new controller configuration is sweet, maps are enormous & beautiful, gameplay is well balanced too.