Nintendo Officially Confirms New Console for 2012

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Officially Confirms New Console for 2012

There's a new console coming from Nintendo, but it will be six weeks before we find out any definite details about it.

After a great deal of rumor and speculation, Nintendo made its new console all nice and official [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf] alongside its most recent earnings report. Nintendo isn't exactly being forthcoming with details, but it has confirmed that the console will come out in 2012, and that it will be playable at E3 this year.

The first rumblings about the new machine occurred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109268-New-Nintendo-Console-Confirmed-for-E3] earlier this month, from a number of anonymous sources. According to the rumors, the console is "significantly" more powerful than the Xbox 360 or PS3, is capable of HD graphics, and is backwards compatible with the Wii. The sources also said that Nintendo was trying to appeal to the Western market with the Wii's successor, and was showing it to publishers now to make sure that there were plenty of games ready for it when in launches in 2012.

Other rumors suggest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109445-Rumor-Concept-Designs-for-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-Surface] that "Project Cafe," as the console is supposedly known as inside Nintendo, will have regular controllers as well as a Wii-mote style motion controller, which will have large touch screens built into them. These screens will also apparently allow for private splitscreen multiplayer, although this seems rather complicated and quite unlikely. It will apparently cost $400 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109507-Rumor-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-to-Cost-400] on release, but whether this is true or not remains to be seen.

It's not hard to believe that Nintendo is aiming to surpass Microsoft and Sony's current platforms with its new console, especially if it's hoping to appeal to a more hardcore gamer audience. That said, the Wii was something of a curveball, and there's nothing to stop Nintendo trying something equally unusual with its successor. Either way, it's only about six weeks until E3, so we don't have long to wait to find out.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/25/nintendo-confirms-new-console-on-the-way-reports-profit-drop/]

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I'm so excited to have a legit Nintendo console again. I love my Wii, and it does have a lot of really great games for it, but it really is annoying having to get through all the shovelware. Hopefully this new, up-to-date console will be better for, and I do hate this phrase but it fits, the hardcore crowd.

Matthew Dunn

Apr 1, 2011
Now that the Wii will have something more powerful than the Xbox
Im sure Microsoft will have something up their sleeve for this
so be ready for something new from Microsoft within the next few months (just a guess)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Matthew Dunn said:
Now that the Wii will have something more powerful than the Xbox
Im sure Microsoft will have something up their sleeve for this
so be ready for something new from Microsoft within the next few months (just a guess)
Either that or they pull out by 2014. While the XBox and XBox 360 are excellent machines, they apparently are hemorrhaging money out of Microsoft. If they don't have something up their sleeves, they will probably be screwed bad and have to leave gaming.

And while I am sure Sony can pull out one more console, if that console isn't a seller, then I am not sure Sony can go to Gen 9.

OT: I am definitely excited for this! I've always been a Nintendo fan (Since my first Console was the N64), and I've loved every Nintendo Console I've owned (Including the Virtual Boy), so I am sure to love this too.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
To me saying that its more powerful than the Xbox 360 is kind of redundant.

I mean....it can't be that hard to be more powerful than 6 year old tech can it?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The thing is, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are getting on a bit now. Microsoft have stated that 2005 is the point the 360 will survive up to. Doesn't that mean that by the time the NeWii is out, it won't have much time to conquer the market?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Ahh bugger. I was hoping we'd get a few more years at least out of the current console generation, with the next not showing up until 2014 at least.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the 66% drop in profit Nintendo announced in the earnings statement this quarter...

Not at all.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Wonder if Sony and MicroSoft are in hot pursuit, or if they'll let Nintendo be the leader of the next Gen of consoles.

Its kinda a shame that there's going to be a next gen of consoles: I was hoping the added peripheral would add atleast a little bit of life into the consoles. Maybe Im wrong, and Nintendo is just doing its own thing: MS and Sony might not follow. Not looking forward to spending another few hundred dollars for shiner graphics.

That being said, if Nintendo can make a more appealing system, than I cant wait. Motion controls seemed cool, but for the first time in a LONG time, Nintendo didnt really interest me in any of its games. I hope to see more innovative hardware, and can't way for E3 this year

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dafttechno said:
It will be interesting to find out just how accurate the rumors are.
They need to be very accurate or Nintendo is screwed. Hardly anyone's gonna be willing to buy a Wii at this point if a next generation console will be released next year. And Wii sales have already peaked and are declining. I'd imagine if the rumors weren't true, Nintendo would be loudly denying them.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
For some reason, I expect Nintendo to pull out one huge troll move out of their hat and announce something unremarkable and then be all;

Problem, gamers?

But anyway, this could be interesting. I'm a little worried for Nintendo because of this, actually. I really can't imagine a Nintendo console costing more than $300 or so, $400 seems too steep for their tastes. I also can't really imagine it being "significantly more powerful" than the 360 or PS3, 360 maybe since it is, like, 7 year old tech, and the PS3 maybe slightly as it is aging, but "significantly"? I doubt it.

Aren't Wii sales declining? If this is how Nintendo responds to a slight decline in sales, by quickly releasing a brand new console to bring the tide back in, then I don't think that really helps anybody. What happened to disposable equipment? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.263236-Nintendo-America-Boss-Takes-Swipe-at-App-Store-Prices]

It should be interesting to see what Nintendo present us with. I have a feeling that we don't have many generations to come before consoles really do become obsolete...

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
*Insert Deity here*, Nintendo just got another 1up on Microsoft and Sony, who went to upgrade their consoles instead.

Great reason to watch Ninty's E3 show now.