Left 4 Dead: Don't Play It Alone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Left 4 Dead: Don't Play It Alone

Despite it being one of the most anticipated games of the year, Left 4 Dead [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] isn't a game you should play alone - and not because all those zombies are so damned scary.

So says Patrick Klepek of Penny Arcade Expo [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/02/left-4-dead-single-playe/]. He's already spent some time with the survival horror zombie-fest, he said, but this was his first chance to square off against the undead with only computer-controlled allies at his side.

Describing the A.I. as "functional," Klepek said, "[Computer-controlled characters] faithfully follow you, firing at the surrounding zombie hordes and applying health patches when you're wounded. My A.I. allies didn't get lost or stuck in hallways. The A.I. accomplished what it needed to." Despite that technical competence, however, Klepek added that the one thing the A.I. couldn't do is "compensate for the absence of human-controlled allies."

"Left 4 Dead was designed as a co-op experience among four players," he said. "You lose much of what makes the game tense and exciting without someone to scream at. When one of your A.I. teammates goes down for the count because they took a wrong turn, you don't feel compelled to throw yourself into danger and save them. It's easier to keep moving forward and save yourself."

Of course, this shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone. Games are designed as either single-player or multiplayer experiences, and as such are inherently stronger as one or the other. Did anyone really come away from System Shock 2 [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-arena/] turned that game from a tense, moody (and so damned awesome) thriller into some half-assed run-and-gun that nobody really cared about. Left 4 Dead is a multiplayer game, so why would you play it any other way?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Well, do I play on 360 and get screamy 10 year old allies? Or do I play on PC and get lag... decisions decisions.

Crudler

Jun 2, 2008
I really can't wait for this game, I'm not one for let's say scary games but this I hope turns out really well. I'll probably get it for the pc though, I mean it'll be cheaper and there's the opportunity for mods.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
sirdanrhodes post=7.70444.691853 said:
Well, do I play on 360 and get screamy 10 year old allies? Or do I play on PC and get lag... decisions decisions.
Or do you get friends to play with over live. That's my choice. I am guessing you wont hesitate to leave behind dick heads over live either.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
as always a case of human brain > AI dumbasses
seriously its like army of two you get shot in coop instantly dragged to cover and healed. wheras the AI will drag you in a friggin circle lettings enemies shoot the crap out of you
im not exactly hyped over this game but i sure as hell would never play it with anyone off of my friends list

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Coop is so much fun. Have any of you ever played Sven Coop Mod for Half Life? So much fun fighting the NPCs while listening to MP3s...

Tolkienfanatic

Jul 24, 2008
This really isn't a surprise. They probably haven't improved their AI routines much since Condition Zero...

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Guys... It said the AI was good, not Army of Two terrible. Just thought I'd point that out.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Describing the A.I. as "functional," Klepek said, "[Computer-controlled characters] faithfully follow you, firing at the surrounding zombie hordes and applying health patches when you're wounded. My A.I. allies didn't get lost or stuck in hallways. The A.I. accomplished what it needed to." Despite that technical competence, however, Klepek added that the one thing the A.I. couldn't do is "compensate for the absence of human-controlled allies."
So the AI can get the job done, but the real fun from this game is the interaction of several people playing together. For example, 4 people fighting for who gets to pick up the shotgun will zombies claw down the door.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Slycne, you have a unique definition of "co-op" :p

I, too, am wondering if I should pick this game up on Steam or for the 360. I'm about to re-purchase TF2 over Steam because the matchmaking interface and community is so terrible on the Xbox. It will definitely look worse on my computer, but it might be worth the sacrifice.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
A friend and I are both looking forward to L4D and are going to get it at its release. We plan on playing together. We also plan on looking up some dudes on Live who we know are reliable and are pretty sure to get the game as well.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Slycne post=7.70444.692927 said:
So the AI can get the job done, but the real fun from this game is the interaction of several people playing together. For example, 4 people fighting for who gets to pick up the shotgun will zombies claw down the door.
You know it's gonna happen. Teamkilling to get the shotgun.

Anyways, what I want to know is how many players can play on one xbox... 2 or 4. This is basically the make or break for me.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Eggo post=7.70444.693874 said:
sirdanrhodes post=7.70444.691853 said:
How is your lag platform dependent?
It's probably becasue of his/hers pc is a bit slow, rather than pc's general.

On topic, bots in a multiplayergame is generally just there to help you getting started. In this case, its only really there to fill out player slots if someone logs off, or if there aren't enough players on the server. So im not worried to much about the player AI, since the hype around the game will make sure most of the servers will be full.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Good thing I've got 3 friends buying this on the day of release too, those zombies won't stand a chance!

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I don't get the point. Not play it alone, because you don't have someone to scream at? My, my, another case of chronical brain matter loss.
The game is awesome though. And I hope there will be multi-player and local co-op on the Xbox 360.