Former Miramax Bosses Get Litigious on Crow Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Former Miramax Bosses Get Litigious on Crow Reboot

Thugs, crooks, and killers can't stop The Crow, but a lawsuit over distribution rights might.

The planned reboot/remake of 1994 cult classic, The Crow, could be in trouble before it's even started filming. The former heads of Miramax Studios, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, have filed a lawsuit with the aim of getting the production put on hold. Miramax distributed the original movie, but the Weinsteins say that they hold the rights for any future movies.

According to the Weinsteins, Relativity Media - the studio behind the reboot - is well aware that the brothers have a signed contract granted them the exclusive distribution rights, but has decided not to honor it. Bert Fields, the Weinstein's lawyer, said that Relativity boss, Ryan Kavanaugh had made a "bunch of threats," but that the Weinsteins would not submit to that kind of "arrogant behavior." It seems that the Weinsteins aren't afraid of spreading the litigation around, either, as Fields said that the brothers will also sue anyone who tries to buy the rights from Relativity.

Kavanaugh was dismissive of the Weinstein's suit however, calling it a "stunt" and saying that the pair had a long history of attempting to intimidate people with legal proceedings. He added that the suit was a feeble and malicious attempt to get some attention from the press and to interfere with the project, and that Relativity would move for immediate dismissal. He also expressed dimsay, both at Field's involvement with the case and at the comments that Fields made about Kavanaugh and Relativity.

"While [Relativity expects] these types of antics from the Weinsteins," Kavanaugh said, "We are shocked that a lawyer of Mr. Fields' caliber would make such false, reckless and intentionally harmful statements to the press about Relativity and Mr. Kavanaugh. We intend to seek appropriate remedies for this misconduct."

It's not clear what the Weinstein's suit means for the reboot, which has only recently found a director [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109124-The-Crow-Coming-Back-to-Avenge-Itself ] in Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, and may potentially have found a star [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109223-A-Team-Star-Tipped-for-Crow-Reboot ] in Bradley Cooper. The lawsuit was only filed last week, so there's nothing stopping Relativity from continuing work for the time being, pending a preliminary judgment on the Weinstein's claims. If the brothers' claims are true however, then it's hard to see the ruling not going in the Weinsteins' favor.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/exclusive-weinstein-vs-relativity-lawsuit-over-distribution-of-the-crow-remake/] via Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2011/04/25/the-crow-remake-hit-by-a-lawsuit-from-the-weinsteins/]

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Why would an argument over distribution rights kill the making of a movie?

Am i missing something?

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I don't think this is a bad thing. I don't think they can make this movie anywhere near as good as the original.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Hopefully this movie never gets made.

There have been enough horrible sequels, we don't need more, or a reboot/remake.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Darth Sea Bass said:
Go weinsteins, Go! I really hope the movie gets canned!
I second this. Quick impression for ya of this remake...

"CAW! CAW! BANG! FOOK, I'm DEAD!"

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
gellert1984 said:

Am i missing something?
If they don't have the distribution rights they can't sell the movie, what's the point spending millions on a movie and not being able to get a cent back?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
The planned reboot/remake of 1994 cult classic, The Crow, could be in trouble before it's even started filming.
For reasons other than the obvious, it seems.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
gellert1984 said:

Am i missing something?
It just seems to me that if distribution rights are threatened from the outset, there's no point in even making the movie. Sure it could become a cult classic (ala Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) but in the short term of box office numbers, it can really hurt.

After all, no matter how much artistic vision exists behind movies, there's the sad fact that its still a business that needs numbers to succeed.

Besides, you don't want to waste investor money because you might find it much more difficult to obtain it in the future.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The original movie wasn't that good but the soundtrack was amazing and it had the whole mythological aura brandon lee gave it.

The sequels just didn't capture that spirit and I'm not sure the new one will either. But I approve of any fantasy or sci fi that isn't Transformers.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Go, Go gadget lawsuits.

The future of the crow franchise now rests in your hands.

Purge the demon, save the populace.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I dunno its not that hard to do setting/story wise tho knowing hollywood it still will be filtered through what drug addicts think of the real world.(IE fiction,script dumbed down for the masses)

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I'll bite, I think they should make a new Crow.

Not because the original sucks (it's awesome, one of my favourite films of all time) but because I'd like to see what someone else can do with the material.

Same reason I'm welcoming in open arms the Highlander re-boot.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Jonny49 said:

Not because the original sucks (it's awesome, one of my favourite films of all time) but because I'd like to see what someone else can do with the material.

While no reboot could be as awesome without Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert and Clancy Brown, it could do no worse damage to the franchise than its sequels have already done.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
if they made the movie right Id be all for a new movie but lets be honest here whats the chance of that? I mean really?. so I say no to a new movie.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
Jonny49 said:

While no reboot could be as awesome without Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert and Clancy Brown, it could do no worse damage to the franchise than its sequels have already done.
Exactly, and it's partly the same for The Crow. A fantastic film followed by numerous shitty sequels. What harm can a reboot do?