Grab This Fan-Made Golden Axe Game While You Can

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Grab This Fan-Made Golden Axe Game While You Can

A new fan-made Golden Axe game has surfaced on the internet, but how long will it stay up?

Man, people really love Genesis games, don't they? Not only are the games making popular additions to digital storefronts like the App Store, Xbox Live, and the PlayStation Network (once that, you know, starts working again), but people keep on making fan adaptations of some of the best titles. Case in point: A fan-made Golden Axe game, titled Golden Axe Myth has surfaced on the Web.

It turns out that the game's been in development since 2007. It serves as a prequel to the original arcade/Genesis game, and you can see the intro storyline as well as gameplay footage here in the video. While the gameplay certainly looks reminiscent of the original games, its graphics are definitely an improvement, and the music and levels are totally original.

Golden Axe Myth can be downloaded for free, and there's also a downloadable art book and soundtrack. It's unknown how long the game will remain online, since the common consensus seems to agree that Sega will have the game taken down sooner rather than later, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109269-Streets-of-Rage-2-Comes-To-iPhone>much like the publisher did with the Streets of Rage remake.

Source: Joystiq

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Perhaps Sega will learn that thier fans arent happy with thier games and maybe liscense and distribute the fan made games instead.

Nope, couldnt keep a straight face.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
CannibalRobots said:
gigastar said:
Perhaps Sega will learn that thier fans arent happy with thier games and maybe liscense and distribute the fan made games instead.

Nope, couldnt keep a straight face.
What is wrong with Sega?

They seem to be run by angry turtles.
I think one of Yahtzees Sonic reviews covers the topic pretty well.

From Yahtzee's Sonic Unleashed review said:
Its a fairly safe assumption that anyone with actual talent at Sonic Team has abandoned the company to an invading force of hapless retards who create design documents by flicking fountain pens at a pile of shredded paper.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
ok but now i've got it how do i play it. can i play it on my laptop instead of ps3 or xbox seeing as i don't have either?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
HankMan said:
Odds are this game is already on the chopping block
We should have known better than to Axe your opinion

OT: Guess I will have to pick this up before it gets choped

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Downloading right away. I love Golden Axe.
Where did you find the download link? I'm running on steam (finals week), and odds are I glossed over it, but I didn't see it, nor did I find anything of use on the youtube description section. :(

Neeevermind. I'm a tard. :)
I found it. [http://www.goldenaxemyth.com.ar/]

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Jumping on this the second I get home from work. Goldenaxe was one of the first games I remember ever truly falling in love with, right behind Sonic 2.

This is exciting.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Well, I just grabbed a copy of it. Not because I'm a big fan, but because it appeals to my "grab it before it's gone!" mentality. Also, it looks like it may well be a fun experience.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Grabbing it while it's still up. This looks like it will be a great game but I'm mainly grabbing it for the probably five more minutes that it's up. Sega ftl.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Do we still have the clunky double jump, lack of 'running' in diagonal and no defend button?

It's funny how a few years ago, fan-made games actually pushed the formula of retro games rather then simply piggy-back-ride on them keeping things which never made sense.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Ellen of Kitten said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Downloading right away. I love Golden Axe.
Where did you find the download link? I'm running on steam (finals week), and odds are I glossed over it, but I didn't see it, nor did I find anything of use on the youtube description section. :(

Neeevermind. I'm a tard. :)
I found it. [http://www.goldenaxemyth.com.ar/]
Thanks.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Is that fourth character from another Capcom game(Black Tiger/Black Dragon is the one I have in mind)?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Holy crap, that looks awesome. Maybe a little too awesome, in as much as it looks better than any of the Golden Axe sequels Sega created themselves.