Dog-Fighting Game Pulled from Android Market

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dog-Fighting Game Pulled from Android Market

A game where players raise dogs to fight other dogs in illegal dog-fighting rings has been given the boot from Android Market after people (appropriately) complained.

When it comes to the issue of dog-fighting (and not the cool kind with fighter planes over WW2-era Britain) I find myself solidly in the same camp as MovieBob [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3032-Maddening]: It's a heinous act and those who engage in it should be punished with the full force of the law.

Naturally, there are always going to be some amoral jerks who look at the practice of forcing dogs to brutally murder each other and say, "Hey, that would make a cool game." Such was the case with Dog Wars, a mobile game on Android where players raised their dogs to fight other dogs. Apparently, it was pretty much just a poor Mafia Wars clone, so the developers can't even say it was an original idea.

There may still be a little hope left in humanity yet: Said game has been pulled from the Android Marketplace after gamers, the Humane Society [http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110425/michael-vick-humane-society-growl-over-android-dogfighting-game/?mod=ATD_search], actress Alicia Silverstone, and NFL player Michael Vick all called for its removal. Vick, as you may know, went to jail over real-life dogfighting, which makes his actions either ironic, hypocritical, or all the more genuine depending on how you look at it.

"I've come to learn the hard way that dogfighting is a dead-end street," said Vick. "Now, I am on the right side of this issue, and I think it's important to send the smart message to kids, and not glorify this form of animal cruelty, even in an Android app."

According to All Things Digital [http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110426/android-dogfighting-game-disappears-from-android-market-following-complaints/], the creators of Dog Wars said that the same free speech that enabled others to criticize the game also protected the game's existence. Of course, while free speech is a legal right in the USA meaning that the government couldn't do anything about the app, Google is a private entity that has the right to control its own services however it damn pleases, so crying "free speech" here is about as legitimate a defense as tissue paper is legitimate body armor.

The most popular mobile game may involve flinging birds at castles, but until Angry Birds becomes a real-life problem I don't think we have to worry about that.

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/dog-fighting-game-dog-wars-pulled-from-android-market-199740.phtml])

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Tissue paper isn't legitimate body armor? Fuck... Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams John... Hopes and Dreams

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Dont they screen the games before they put them on sale? This one seems like it should have tripped a few flags.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
While I agree with John and Bob concerning dogfighting - I can't help but wonder if there would have been as much of an outcry over a "Baby Fighter."

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
"The most popular mobile game may involve flinging birds at castles, but until Angry Birds becomes a real-life problem I don't think we have to worry about that."

I know! It would be like if a game came out where you could murder people and steal their cars and... wait...

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Disregarding that Google can do whatever they want with their stores.
And that dog fighting is amoral as fuck.

You cannot ignore free speech because you don´t like what people has to say.
Free speech is an absolute, it is either there, or it isn´t.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
FutureJarhead16 said:
Agent Larkin said:
No.

Just no.

Yeah free speech is great but that game...

No.
Yea free speech should only be allowed if its nice and we like it!
Missing the point. Free speech is a legal right, meaning you can stand and shout what you want on a city street corner and the government cannot arrest you or silence you. But when it comes to private entities like Google, they have the right to police their own services and networks however they damn well please. Free speech has nothing to do with it, and claiming that it does shows a gross misunderstanding of the term and of one's own personal rights.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's political correctness gone mad!

Seriously though, fuck this game, and anyone who thinks that's a good idea. Stick to pokemon you animal abusers!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This game should be put back on the market.
In Pokemon I can fight all animals I want. In Manhunt you can stalk and violently murder people to death with primitive weapons like palstic bags and shards of glass.

Why does this Dog game matter? You can't use any argument against it you couldn't against any other game. It allows you to simulate doing illegal things? Cruel things? Immoral things? Need I list you the amount of games that allow this?

In New Vegas I could fight Rad Scorpions in a ring; why is this game any different?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
(1) This game is not real life
(2) Surely it's worse to have a game about killing people?

(3) murder is a real life problem, particularly shooting sprees:

This action by Google IS censorship. It's not government censorship but like the Hays Code in the bad days of American cinema it does against the spirit of the 1st Amendment and de-facto defies it.