Break It Down to Dawn of War II's Soundtrack Next Month

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Break It Down to Dawn of War II's Soundtrack Next Month

THQ wants you to get your (epic) groove on ...

There's a lot of things to love about Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, including the setting, the gameplay, the delightful levels of over-the-top violence, and the soundtrack. If you're a particularly big fan of that last line item, then good news: THQ is going to commercially release a two-CD collection of the game's music next month.

The publisher is teaming up with Sumthing Else Music Works to release the game's soundtrack at "select retail outlets" (on a side note: do people even buy CDs anymore?), as well as Amazon MP3, iTunes, other music sites (presumably like emusic) and the official website for Sumthing Digital. The album will include all the music from Dawn of War II, Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, and Dawn of War II: Retribution; all of the music in these games was composed by "virtual orchestra maestro" Doyle W. Donehoo.

No price point has been announced for the album, but it's set to be released on May 24th. I'm not sure I'd want to walk around listening to the soundtrack on my iPod, but I could see it being used as background music in during a particularly epic tabletop game of Warhammer ...

Source: Joystiq

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Wow, comes out on my birthday. Bit weird to release something on a tuesday.
I'll have to play Dawn of War II again to see how much I like the soundtrack.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Neat. Though they already give the DOW II soundtrack out for free so it's not really worth me buying the whole lot. Good soundtrack though.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Palademon said:
Wow, comes out on my birthday. Bit weird to release something on a tuesday.
I'll have to play Dawn of War II again to see how much I like the soundtrack.
Here in the states, new media tends to be released on Tuesdays when it comes to retail. I've never understood why, but that seems to be way things work...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought that they had already given the Dawn of War 2 soundtrack out for free back in 2008. But I suppose this one includes Chaos Rising and Retribution tracks as well.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I notice alot of developers latley 'been focusing on their soundtracks. Ubisoft releases the Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack for free, and as do Epic for their Bulletstorm soundtrack.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You can always just open up the game data and play the music that way...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-takes breath-aaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I love soundtracks of games/tv shows/films/Doctor Who and music in general. Looking forward to this!

vansau said:
I'm not sure I'd want to walk around listening to the soundtrack on my iPod...
Why not? Music is still music whether it's background music or power ballads!
Unless you mean you just don't like the music in DoW2. Which is fair enough and renders my point invalid! xD

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
I always loved the DOW2 soundtrack. I'll probs end up getting it just to support the artist that made those pretty damn epic songs that fit with the grim dark future, which apparently has alot of war.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Heathrow said:
Slow news day is it?
Just because it's not a big story doesn't mean it's not news. Making comments like that is not a good way to make friends with members of the news team.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Doyle W. Donewho? In all the years of listening to video game music I've never heard of him. And from what I've heard in DoW II, he's far from a "virtual orchestra maestro". The first DoW's soundtrack was far more epic, IMO.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
vansau said:
but I could see it being used as background music in during a particularly epic tabletop game of Warhammer...
Funny you should say that. It's standard background music at most of our pen & paper RPG nights, especially now that the new supplement for the Deathwatch RPG is out.

I may just buy this. I got so much joy out of this soundtrack, I think Donehoo deserves my money.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Neat. Though they already give the DOW II soundtrack out for free so it's not really worth me buying the whole lot. Good soundtrack though.
I'm assuming it will be the normal thing for Itunes though where you can just take your pick. I always thought the original one had a great feel... except for the orcs they should really have a metal soundtrack.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
vansau said:
Just because it's not a big story doesn't mean it's not news. Making comments like that is not a good way to make friends with members of the news team.
I learned in junior high that notability is always important for a good news story, but if you insist.

Back on topic: Haroo, a CD is being released.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Heathrow said:
vansau said:
I learned in junior high that notability is always important for a good news story, but if you insist.

Back on topic: Haroo, a CD is being released.
¬¬

Thank you for instructing me in the ways of reporting. I wish I could've gone to your middle school so that I wouldn't have had to waste my money on a journalism degree.

Back on topic: if a story's interesting, and you think some people would like to know about it, why the hell wouldn't you report it?

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
vansau said:
Back on topic: if a story's interesting, and you think some people would like to know about it, why the hell wouldn't you report it?
Sure, why not? It's not like you had any more interesting stories; a small piece like this fills the time nicely.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Nice. I'd buy that. I love the music in all DoW2 games.
Hope it is rather cheap but it still would be in my collection. none the less