Feds Using Seized Domains to Promote Anti-Piracy PSA

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Feds Using Seized Domains to Promote Anti-Piracy PSA

Homeland Security has a new anti-piracy public service announcement it would like you to see, and it's spreading the word via seized pirate domains.

Remember back in November when Homeland Security took control of a bunch of websites suspected of contributing to online piracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105661-Homeland-Security-Seizes-Dozens-of-Piracy-Websites]? Well, since there's no sense just letting those domains go to waste, Homeland Security has decided to put them to use educating pirates to the untold harm they do to the film industry and set workers whenever they download a movie.

The PSA features a hawker offering free DVDs to passers-by, but alerts them to the fact that if they take the movie the woman behind him, a boom-mike operator, will lose her job. One well groomed man wearing a suit takes 3 movies, saying "I don't know her," and "You're making this so literal," which our hawker responds to by telling the man he has no soul and that he is "what's wrong with everything." Another person, a woman wearing a hoodie, comes to understand that piracy has repercussions, sets the movies down, and walks away. The hawker then turns to the camera, saying that digital counterfeiting is not a victimless crime, and that "the financial repercussions are huge."

The PSA is being promoted on 65 of the seized sites, which Immigration and Customs Enforcement (the branch of Homeland Security that did the actual seizing) head John Morton hopes "will help raise awareness that American businesses, and American jobs, are threatened by those who pirate copyrighted material and produce counterfeit trademarked goods."

Now maybe this is just me, but the repurposing of websites that were seized using a method deemed dubiously legal at best to pimp a video seems downright inappropriate. While Homeland Security surely has the right to do with the sites what it will, that's just bad PR.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/feds-anti-piracy-message/]

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Same old, predictable videos. But at least it's not like the ones put on DVD's.

You know, the ones you'll only actually see if you've paid for what you're watching?

I think capitalism, and it's interaction with Intellectual Property is a huge mess. But, it's not one that can be solved while we have 'products' with no inherent value to them, that need to be traded against products that do.

Food is a limited resource, after all, while Intellectual Property, really isn't in any meaningful sense.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
What's inappropriate is ICE (a government agency) being an arm of the MPAA (a group made up of private companies.) :)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
How about you show the video game industry that it's supporters don't like DRM and being lied to about what is included with game systems.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Centrophy said:
What's inappropriate is ICE (a government agency) being an arm of the MPAA (a group made up of private companies.) :)
The whole government is an arm of the content mafiaa.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
The government, serving the large corporations and putting out propaganda to brainwash the weak minded.

The above statement is ridiculously over-blown, alarmist, and plain silly. It's also true.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I don't like that guy either, but if this was true, and every pirated movie made someone lose their job, there would be no more movie industry. At all. That said, it does hurt movie companies, because they paid for something that you get for free. Not right.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
This is one of the dumbest PSA's I've seen in a history of terrible PSA's.

Why didn't the guy in the suit just smack that pompous git in the face when he said "you have no soul" ?
that was so absurd
First of all, if it were real, the guy would be outraged that the idiot hocking the dvd's was criticizing someone for taking them. Why didn't he turn around and go "Wait, aren't YOU the one putting this fake boom mic operator out of her job?"

This is like one of those dumb Truth Ads gone wrong.

Centrophy said:
Yup

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
.... i'd have taken the movie....

Edit: Also that video was about as convincing as me saying "a puppy will die every time i don't receive 5 dollars from a person".

Nightrunex

Mar 16, 2011
This may sound particularly ignorant (feel free to throw things at me if I'm wrong), but piracy has been going on since 2002 if not before. If piracy truly does such damage (direct or indirect) to the workforce, then why:

a.) Is Piracy not the reason for the Depression,
b.) Has Piracy not been brought down when statistics are rolled out how movie producers lose millions of dollars a year due to them. Sure there's The Pirate Bay's example where the crime is happening in a different country, but the American government can impose enormous power by leaning on someone.

Jinxey

Nov 10, 2008
Dude the fact that they did this on pirate-friendly sites that they seized legally is freaking BRILLIANT!

Actually made me feel the gov. was pulling their heads out of their asses :p

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
What they forget to mention is that people aren't buying the movie AS IT'S BEING PRODUCED! Those boom mic operators get payed for their job, and recieve maybe like... .02% of the profit.

Besides, piracy in and of itself isn't bad, it's just used for bad purpouses >.>

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I don't know I would think maybe Hollywood overcharges for its services anyway because well we pay it. Not many actors/actresses would settle for a comfortable living salary as apposed to ridiculous amounts of money they earn for there "talents" that really don't contribute that much to society, but to entertain on the most part. Just an opinion.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I still love the emails from and to the pirate bay.

Piracy is hilarious because of all the legal issues tracking and taking down the uploaders.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Yeah, downloading something you would never have bought other wise surely loses people jobs. (Not that I have, of course) Amazing usage of tax dollars.

I do think it's rather smart to do it on seized pirate domains, though.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I find this to be quite funny.
I loathe piracy, and anything that in any way irritates pirates warms my heart.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
How about instead of wasting corporate and tax payer money with all this BS, they just adapt to the times and embrace digital distribution to make some money? No? Rather just whine and wail and struggle against progress? Fine.

All the logical or legal arguments against piracy in the world wont change the fact fewer people are interested in scheduling their lives around theater and TV schedules now that the internet brings entertainment to us on our own terms. Adapt, please.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Wait, so if someone pirates a movie then the boom operators of those movies will then lose their jobs? In post production? When the MOVIE IS FINISHED?

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
did you know that some of the most pirated materials are anti-piracy messages?

just some food for thought on the subject