Report: New Vegas Patch Just Makes Things Worse

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Report: New Vegas Patch Just Makes Things Worse

A patch for Fallout: New Vegas to prepare the game for the "Honest Hearts" DLC has reportedly broken it for Xbox 360 owners.

Earlier this week, we learned that Obsidian and Bethesda infamously buggy game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109570-Fallout-New-Vegas-1-3-Patch-Goes-Live].

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have done that. According to posts on the official New Vegas forum [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1183663-the-newest-patch-wont-let-me-load-my-saves/], some Xbox 360 owners are reporting that since the patch, Fallout won't load their saved games. Others are reporting regular and frequent system crashes.

"Great, get the day off, settled down in front of the Xbox to play New Vegas and guess what, it freezes. Thanks Bethesda!" wrote a user named Blackivar [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1183663-the-newest-patch-wont-let-me-load-my-saves/page__view__findpost__p__17561331]. "As with everyone else, the new update has wrecked my game, got the warning about losing content and now it won't load up my past saves - well that was time well spent (assuming you can argue playing games even is time well spent)."

Bethesda acknowledged the game issues on its Twitter feed [http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/statuses/63639458108551168]: "We're aware some folks are having New Vegas save issues. We're working with Microsoft on this and should have more information soon."

I really do feel for gamers who bought a product that doesn't work as it's supposed to, but on some level I can't help but find it funny in its absurdity at this point. Even when Obsidian tries to fix the game, it breaks it.

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-28-latest-new-vegas-patch-cripples-360-game])

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
New Vegas has been plagued by crap from day 1, so this doesn't surprise me. One of the few games that I actually traded in over rage-quitting after 3 saves were corrupted by crashes.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Wha...? How? What the...? *facepalm* How? How can you possibly make New Vegas any worse of a bug ridden mess? Unbelievable. I can't even fathom what Bethesda's QA process must be like. This has got to be the most buggy AAA title ever released. I'm flabbergasted.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
Fantastic. I was just about to go play New Vegas, too.

Guess I'm glad I read this before updating.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Well this is from the Oblivion engine...

You were expecting anything more?

They sure make fun games...when and if they work

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GiantRaven said:
This article is a little confusing, is it Bethesda or Obsidian that patch the game?
As far as I know, both. Obsidian is the developer, Bethesda is the publisher who funds the developer and handles distribution. Both could be seen at fault.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Makes me glad I have a ps3 over a 360. Oh PSN being dead lack of some titles and subpar ports of others make me not glad. But my Fallouts rarely freeze and never ever corrupt saves. Its of course sad that "doesnt freeze too bad" is the good version of the game.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I cant believe they actually made it more of a buggy mess than it already is. Bravo. That is quite an accomplishment.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I don`t want to sound like a fanboy but i`m glad that i bought a PC version, now if only i could convince myself to finish that game..

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
HankMan said:
Looks like Honest Hearts skipped a beat.
This dosn't look like good PR. They are likely to suffer from fallout.

OT: Hope they fix this soon then. I plan to buy the GotY edition when it comes out

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Honestly, I don't really see where all this complaining about New Vegas is coming from. I've spent probably about 50+ hrs playing the game (some of that on the 360, some of it on the PC) and I've really only had it crash or glitch a couple of times. No more so than any other game that I've spent that much time playing. Maybe I've just been lucky or something....

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
"Insert PC elitist comment here"

But really, I've had little problems with my copy of FO:NV. Lees then with FO3 anyway >_>

HankMan said:
Quoted for awesome

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
So glad I didn't play New Vegas today. Looks like another four weeks of waiting for a fix to fix this fixxy fix.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Gamebryo will haunt Obsidian's dreams forever. I'm glad that engine is at its end.

HankMan said:
Add another quoter who loves the pun.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
I am not buying any Fallout games from Bethesda anymore unless the reviews say it doesn't crash once you open the box.
Sorry Bethesda, selling broken stuff gets you bad credit.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
Both PS3 and 360 gamers are now unable to get/play HH :(

I never really had a whole lot of trouble with glitches to begin with.
Not gonna risk getting the update to change that now.