Homeland Security and FBI On Hunt for PSN Hackers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Homeland Security and FBI On Hunt for PSN Hackers

Whoever hacked into the PlayStation Network might want to lay low for a while.

Worry not, PlayStation Network users that may have had all of your personal information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] leaked to an unknown party, both the Department of Homeland Security and FBI are on the case. Surely one of the two organizations can figure out who perpetrated this vile act and bring him/her/them/it to justice, right?

A DHS spokesman told NextGov: "The Department of Homeland Security is aware of the recent cyber intrusion to Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity music service. DHS' U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) is working with law enforcement, international partners and Sony to assess the situation."

CERT evidently aids companies in reducing the risks of future cyber-attacks and learning from them to prevent similar ones at other government or private agencies. It doesn't hurt to have the group on your side.

Meanwhile, the FBI is also investigating what happened with the PSN. FBI Special Agent Darrell Foxworth says: "The FBI is aware of the reports concerning the alleged intrusion into the Sony online game server and we have been in contact with Sony concerning this matter. We are presently reviewing the available information in an effort to determine the facts and circumstances concerning this alleged criminal activity."

Sony "online game server" huh. Way to make yourselves seem with it, FBI. With rumors of PSN credit cards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109661-Hackers-Offer-PSN-Credit-Cards-For-Sale] already going up for sale (emphasis on "rumors"), I guess Sony can use all the help it can get.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20110429_3808.php]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I was wondering when we'd stop the blaming and get some other people involved in the investigation.

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS QRIOCITY? AND WHAT DOES IT KILL THE CAT?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I'm reminded of a joke.

The US President takes the CIA, the FBI, and the Police to the woods. He releases three rabbits in three different sections, and tells them to find their respective rabbit.

The CIA takes its time, collecting evidence, interviewing foxes, stuff like that. At the end of the day they come back to the President and say 'The rabbit doesn't exist'.

The FBI firebomb their part of the forest, and after spending the day sifting through the remains they bring the rabbits partial, charred corpse to the President.

The Police go in, and come out a couple of hours later with a bear, that has a black eye and is yelling 'Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!'

... what I'm saying is, I hope they get caught. Not because I like Sony, but because I have friends with PS3s and I would not like anyone to have their personal data.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Homeland Security going after cybercriminals? I wonder how many innocent websites they'll shut down THIS time.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I actually kind of wished we'd be seeing internet vigilante justice rather than official style.

After all, I'd rather see these particular people be on the receiving end of revenge fueled by rage rather than a paycheck (and because of the delicious irony of their punishment).

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Wow, when this first happened, i figured it was no big deal.. now this is starting to get serious.

Good thing i didn't have a credit card on my PSN account, suckers! :p

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Delock said:
I actually kind of wished we'd be seeing internet vigilante justice rather than official style.

After all, I'd rather see these particular people be on the receiving end of revenge fueled by rage rather than a paycheck (and because of the delicious irony of their punishment).
Maybe we could get both.

First the vigilantes strike then the Feds pick up the pieces and send those pieces to jail.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
"We are presently reviewing the available information in an effort to determine the facts and circumstances concerning this alleged criminal activity." - Special Agent Foxworth

Come on FBI, alleged criminal activity? There are about 77 million people that would tell you what happened is illegal and that there needs to be repercussions for the guilty parties.

Now I know its kind of an American thing to be innocent until proven guilty, but I think we agree that something outside the law happened. Unless the hack is made up and the worst publicity stunt of the century.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, a funny thought just occurred to mind.

Remember when Anonymous denied involvement in this whole thing? They should be handing us the hackers instead. Because you know where this is going, right? The US Government on the case? It's going to lead to the US making an excuse of this to go after Anonymous, regardless of involvement or not.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Woodsey said:
[Everyone knows its Sony's fault completely
How is it Sony's fault that they got hacked? Sure, things could have been more secure - but that is always the case. It's not Sony's fault. How about we agree its your fault for trusting Sony with the information? Or maybe it's a game developer's fault for making Sony popular enough to get hacked. Maybe it's America's fault, for helping to propel the popularity of the internet to the point of online gaming.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Gaiseric said:
Delock said:

Maybe we could get both.

First the vigilantes strike then the Feds pick up the pieces and send those pieces to jail.
/Puts on Kick Ass Costume.

I'm ready =)

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Woodsey said:
What?

How is this Sony's fault they got broken into? At most it should be partially their fault for not having an advanced enough system, but without hackers, there would be no break in. Also there is no such thing as 100% fool-proof.

Please explain.

Edit: Its so hard to see sarcasm on the internet :(.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
dkyros said:
Gaiseric said:
Delock said:

Maybe we could get both.

/Puts on Kick Ass Costume.

I'm ready =)
Bless your brave soul sir :D

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
I think it's pretty sweet albeit late for the feds to be getting involved. I do wish this had never been necessary at all, but now that it is, at least I have some PRETTY good assurance that the hackers will be found and punished accordingly. This is some good news in my opinion.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I think this is one Government action against hackers that Anonymous won't be objecting to. In fact, I could totally see them teaming up. If Anon found the place where they were selling the info, it wouldn't take long for them to find a way to utterly destroy the site, and get the info to the feds. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't discussing it right now.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Projo said:
Woodsey said:
[Everyone knows its Sony's fault completely
How is it Sony's fault that they got hacked? Sure, things could have been more secure - but that is always the case. It's not Sony's fault. How about we agree its your fault for trusting Sony with the information? Or maybe it's a game developer's fault for making Sony popular enough to get hacked. Maybe it's America's fault, for helping to propel the popularity of the internet to the point of online gaming.
Tehe, sarcasm really isn't that easy to see in writing. Never fear, I shall add in MOAR italics!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Homeland Security going after cybercriminals? I wonder how many innocent websites they'll shut down THIS time.
You know, that was the first thought in my head. Whenever Homeland Security gets involved, everything goes to shit.

"Mr. President, it's time to use the kill switch."

"Very well." *presses the internet killswitch with a peice of paper taped over the label, "Skynet" written on it in poor penmanship*

Also,

What the fuck is that!?