Bleszinski Wanted to Dismember Master Chief in Gears of War 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bleszinski Wanted to Dismember Master Chief in Gears of War 3

Cliff Bleszinski tried to get Master Chief in Gears of War 3, but was given the big "NO" from Microsoft.

When naming the top exclusive Xbox 360 franchises, the first two that should come out of anyone's mouth are Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304209101&sr=8-1], but Microsoft didn't really want to see Master Chief have his limbs sawed off.

Epic Games designer and rock star Cliff Bleszinski recently spoke to Complex where he revealed that a crossover was definitely in the cards. "I'll let you in on a secret," Bleszinski said. "I actually approached Microsoft on getting Master Chief into the game, but those guys are kind of squeamish."

"One of Halo's successes is that it's a soft M," he added. "Gears pushes it further. I'm creatively comfortable with that, though it can limit what you do. If you had to break it down, I'd say that Gears is like Street Fighter [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304209421&sr=8-1]."

Bleszinski went on to detail his nixed plan for Master Chief in Gears of War 3. "If we were to get Master Chief, we'd get his model, put him in a COG suit, make it blow up, and do some test animation work. We'd have to see what his head looks like being blown to smithereens or how his arm would look getting sawed off."

I think I'm getting the idea of why Microsoft turned Bleszinski down. Still, sometimes you have to wonder if game companies forget what they're making. Watching Master Chief getting dismembered with a chainsaw probably wouldn't hurt the Halo brand at all, and it'd be totally awesome.

Source: Complex [http://www.complex.com/video-games/2011/04/cliff-bleszinski-interview]

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Naww, if anything, it'd be the chief beating the crap out of those brainless gits. :p

OT: I can definitely see why Microsoft turned Cliff down, but it might still have been a bit of fun, despite all the massive flame wars it would have caused.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eri said:
Doesn't Bleszinski know? Spartans never die ;)
They sure die a lot for a group of soldiers that never die, though... Very strange indeed. :p

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Now that could of been fun.

Microsoft really...

...grinds my gears sometimes.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So...he wanted to kill the Chief because he thought Halo wasn't "edgy" enough?

If that's the case, he'd better hope Marcus never runs across this fellow:

Also it wouldn't make much sense, as the Chief would most likely destroy Marcus if they were pitted against each other. Anyone who's read the Halo books knows that your typical SPARTAN-II is far more than just a person in a suit.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Doesn't CliffyB know that anything that makes a Spartan look like a pussy costs Microsoft a couple million? They need SOME exclusives.

Apr 28, 2008
Shame. After all, Microsoft seemed cool with modders making a chief skin in Unreal Tournament 3. And was even cool when that skin was able to be used by PS3 users.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Obviously, using internet levels of conspiracy theory's, Microsoft is going to dumb down halo so it gets a 12 rating by removing blood! :O

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Canadish said:
Now that could of been fun.

Microsoft really...

...grinds my gears sometimes.
Cookie For You Sir.

This is a real shame, but wouldn't it even be cooler seeing Marcus Fenix and Master Chief going to head to head?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I swear, bleszinski is like a kid

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
I realize that they mentioned putting him into a cog outfit, but good luck actually trying to get through the chiefs armor with those chainsaws. I don't care if they're coated in diamond dust, there is no way you could pull it off. (I'm lookin' at you extended locust execution.)

Galduke

Jun 6, 2008
Well that was awfully kind of Bleszinski, comparing his game to crap and Halo to gold.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, seeing that Master Chief couldn't even survive a trip to Albion (where they didn't even have space marines at the time), I don't know how he'd get one in the world of Gears anyway. Not sure why we'd really need a Halo character in Gears anyway.

Just make up some nonsense about how the Locust are actually part of the Covenant. There you go, common ground in place, now get Master Chief in there...:)

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Sigh... Cliffy is such a d-bag, he just hates the idea of people playing any game but his, so he wants them to look bad, gota tell you, but that cog uniform makes all your characters look like they have big subwoofer breasts

and realy, if you want to chain saw some characters, why don't you go after killzone

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Watching Master Chief getting dismembered with a chainsaw probably wouldn't hurt the Halo brand at all, and it'd be totally awesome."

You are 100% right!
Shame on Microsoft for being squeamish!