EA Partners Is Turning Japanese

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Partners Is Turning Japanese

EA Partners has loaded up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85700] on deals with North American developers, and now wants to broaden its horizons by hooking up with some Japanese talent.

David DeMartini of EA Partners told Resident Evil [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/03/ea-partners-secret-plans/], Mikami had already bridged the gap to selling multi-million-selling games. Suda, on the other hand, certainly has a reputation for creating incredibly creative product, but sometimes the product is very much appreciated by the game critics but not as appreciated by millions and millions of people. He was looking for a breakout hit into the multiple millions of units kind of thing."

"If Suda or Mikami were to be publishing with EA [http://www.sony.com] was to work with some of the best designers in Japan in a limited way, with a limited number of these partners, we would be creating a unique situation where some of the best developers in Japan are actually partnering with one of the largest publishers that are not Japanese. That would represent something that is slightly uncomfortable for both parties, but also represents something that is very unique and very special."

EA is clearly betting that "unique and special" discomfort will lead to creative magic that will succeed in both the Japanese and American markets, and isn't done pursuing talent to that end. "Hopefully this will serve as a springboard to a successful formula that we can apply to some of the other great Japanese designers," he said.

Gigawolf1

Jun 17, 2009
If some good comes out of it, I'm all for it.

Otherwise, I have no interest in the stocks or profits of either company beyond their products.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Well EA has a knack for making multi-million unit selling games.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I want your picture, I want your picture...
I want a million of them all for myself.
I want a doctor, to take your picture,
So I can look at you from inside as well.

EA turning Japanese, EA Turning Japanese?
I do not think so.

Japanese have honor, integrity, and are vastly known for quality products.
EA...
The Japanese have a xenophobic market while EA has good business sense. It should work.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Japanese have honor, integrity, and are vastly known for quality products.
I'll think about that the next time I play yet another crap JRPG or get nearly run down by Bōsōzoku in Tokyo before they realize I'm an American and run away.

The Japanese have the same flaws as the rest of us, it just manifests in strange ways. EA may produce crap games (a lot), but they are also a VERY successful business. So long as people buy crap games, people will make crap games...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009

Anyway, I'm all for more talking between Japanese and Western game developers. I really hope that it leads to something awesome.