Review: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Mercenaries 2 invites you to blow the living crap out of more stuff, this time in Venezuela. How could you possibly resist?

Read Full Article

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Adding the action sequences for hijacking would be a mood-killer though. Though, from your glowing review, it sounds like their brief enough where it still allows hijacking to be possible and doesn't disturb gameplay too greatly.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Am I the only one who has an issue with the vehicle break sound? It sounds like scratching a chalkboard with steel nails.

oldmanscene24

Jul 11, 2006
Great review, man. I couldn't agree more. Aside from the QTE's, the only other annoying thing I have run across so far is the shallow pool of dialogue from the AI. Basically, the game is just a lot of fun blowing shit up.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I agree. This game is a blast. It's got it's share of problems, but nothing worse than GTAIV. Of course, GTAIV was getting perfect scores all over the place. Shenanigans, I tell you!!!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I just had my "Moment I Wished I'd Had Before Writing the Review" for this game. Which was a mission so incredibly frustrating I wish I hadn't picked up the controller, while simultaneously wishing I could throw it through the TV screen.

Beware the "Jungle Cruise" mission. All I'm saying.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I played the first Mercenaries game at a friends house, and had some fun with it. After reading this review, I definitely think Mercenaries 2 is getting added to my "to buy" list. Very enjoyable, informative review.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Never actually got to play Mercenaries 1, but I heard 2 was an improvement on everything in that game so I just assumed the QTEs were part of that one too. I don't really mind them in this game. Hijacking a tank or helicopter would be boring if it was instantaneous and always successful.
I really wish you could co-op with more than 1 other person though. 4 would be nice, but there are 3 mercs in the game, you'd think it would be possible to have all three in action at once. Three of the best mercs in the world and at least one has to sit out? Why?

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
oldmanscene24 post=6.70598.697702 said:
Aside from the QTE's, the only other annoying thing I have run across so far is the shallow pool of dialogue from the AI.
It's not just the dialogue, it's the fact that the NPCs feel compelled to chatter at you every 5-10 seconds. I was driving a tank to an outpost last night with a UP merc in the gunner seat, and I think I heard every possible dialogue option 3 or 4 times. I wanted to get out of the tank and shoot him in the face but I was worried he'd take off with my ride.

Other than that, yeah, the game kicks ass, especially if you were a fan of the original.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Nice review Russ, I agree. The game is fun for all of the reasons stated and I like that you didn't feel obligated to get hung up over the technical snafus and irrelevant lack of detail in some aspects of the game.

And you're dead on about the QTE, there's definitely a God of War fanboy in the EA production offices who spoke up when he wasn't supposed to.

Oh, and is there anyway to delay the airstrike? I try to attach the homing beacon to a jeep just to drive it into the middle of a base but I can't seem to get enough distance between me and the airstrike when I dive out.

shnupit

Sep 5, 2008
there is only 2 things in this game that sux but they can fix in updates #1 the fucking water is so bad #2 the online but i do know its still new so the 2nd one is easy to fix

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Oh, and is there anyway to delay the airstrike? I try to attach the homing beacon to a jeep just to drive it into the middle of a base but I can't seem to get enough distance between me and the airstrike when I dive out.
I haven't tried that trick with sir strike beacons. Works wonders with C4 though. Attach to car, aim car at oil tanks, dive out, detonate. Boomdeyada.

As for air strikes, I somehow always manage to get out of range. Guess I'm lucky.

Also, shooting billboards for cash is my new favorite thing. Spent about an hour last night doing just that.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Russ Pitts post=6.70598.699939 said:
Also, shooting billboards for cash is my new favorite thing. Spent about an hour last night doing just that.
Huh, wha?

Explain... I didn't know about this.

CrazyBerk

Jul 1, 2008
Mercinaries 2 is out?! Whaaaat?!
Is it out in the UK? Please tell me its out in the UK!
Did i mention your review was good? 'Twas a good review indeed.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Shooting billboards is a random mission for the PLAV faction. I honestly don't remember how I got assigned the mission, but I suspect it came about by opening up all of their outposts.

oldmanscene24

Jul 11, 2006
Russ Pitts post=6.70598.700372 said:
Shooting billboards is a random mission for the PLAV faction. I honestly don't remember how I got assigned the mission, but I suspect it came about by opening up all of their outposts.
Yeah, I don't remember how I picked up that mission either. I just remember shooting a billboard for the fun of it and getting paid for it. I wish there was a real life analog for this.

dippa

Jul 13, 2008
The bio-line should have really been: Russ Pitts has been waiting forever to use the line ...

:D

bonaparte

Aug 30, 2007
Russ Pitts post=6.70598.698975 said:
I just had my "Moment I Wished I'd Had Before Writing the Review" for this game. Which was a mission so incredibly frustrating I wish I hadn't picked up the controller, while simultaneously wishing I could throw it through the TV screen,
So you write reviews before actually completing a game. Interesting.

Don't you think you owe it to your readers to at least add a disclaimer along the lines of "I wrote this before finishing the game, so it may not present an accurate picture of the whole experience...." at the top of your review?

shnupit

Sep 5, 2008
Russ Pitts post=6.70598.700372 said:
you get this mission from the PLAV and when u do the first mission u unlock there extra missions so billboards and destroying buildings and so on so if u get hated with PLAV and need there weps just go do there extra missions but the VIP's is what u have to watch if you walk into there vip u will get shot and hostile