Portal 2 Player Doesn't Think With Portals, Wins Anyway

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Portal 2 Player Doesn't Think With Portals, Wins Anyway

You don't really need an Aperture Science Hand-Held Portal Device.

With its rigidly structured puzzles, you might not think that a Portal game would be the best kind of game to trick-run. After all, there are only so many ways you can put a cube on a button and walk through a door, right?

As we've already seen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109691-Insane-Cube-Tricks-Turn-Portal-2-Into-Extreme-Sport], that couldn't be farther from the truth. Portal players are already trying their damndest to thoroughly break Valve's Portal 2 in the most spectacular ways.

This particular trick-runner doesn't even need to use portals to beat test chamber 20 - instead, clever laser-bendy-cube positioning (and some glitches) do the job perfectly well.

As some Reddit commentators point out [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/h1pnr/chamber_20_done_withno_portals/], it's not uncommon to play Portal 2, find a new mechanic like the laser beams or special paint, and then completely forget that you have a gun in your hand that shoots portals. As this video shows, sometimes that isn't such a problem.

(Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/h1pnr/chamber_20_done_withno_portals/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That puzzle took me the longest, iirc.

After about 10-15 minutes, I shot a portal above and below me, did the infinite fall thing...and THOUGHT about it for like 5 minutes.

Infinite falls are great when you need to think and clear your mind.

I should have just done what they did. >_>

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
That one was pretty easy to begin with, I didn't realize you could cheat it though >.>

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
HankMan said:
He just looked at things objectively.
Everything's better with lazers!

I was hoping you'd make a funny joke.

At first I thought this was gonna be a story of how a guy went through the whole game without using on portal, or at least a very small amount of portals.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I think I managed it with my first portal placement (practically walked straight through the room without thinking). My stupidity factor did come to life later in the game though, where it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get from one ledge to another.

Solution? Blue portal on my side, orange portal on the other side.

I was concussed from the /headdesk that occurred a few seconds later.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Pretty crafty, the people who do these speed runs should have been some of the testers of this game. No doubt they'd tighten the game up more if they did so.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I think I managed it with my first portal placement (practically walked straight through the room without thinking). My stupidity factor did come to life later in the game though, where it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get from one ledge to another.

Same here. This room didn't take me more than a minute. Personally, my brain went stupid during the first white gel test. Not only did it take me 5 minutes to figure out what the hell the white gel actually did, I didn't actually make it out of that room for another 20 minutes.

In fact, I don't even remember how I solved it. The whole thing went by one big angry blur, and by the time my rage subsided, I was standing in front of the exit.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Fuck, that guy made that puzzle seem so easy, but when I did it, it was the hardest puzzle in the whole game for me!

This game never seizes to amaze me!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm shocked how many people found this puzzle hard, this was one the easiest puzzles in the game for me...

...I'm being "that guy" again arn't I?

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

theres one of the coop maps where you use your pal to infinite loop you up to a ledge, then you can get THEM to the ledge with the exit. The pair of us then spent 5 minutes thinking how to get the first guy back to the start without losing the portals so that they could get up.

The answer? go through the portal that is 5 inches from where you are standing.

Even worse, when backtracking we got stuck at the same point.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
I'm shocked how many people found this puzzle hard, this was one the easiest puzzles in the game for me...

It's okay, let's be "that guy" together! *high five*

This reminds me a lot of the commentary in the original Portal. In it Valve said one of their testers "broke" one of the test chambers by ignoring the entire chamber and trying to fling himself at the door to win.

Because the so-called "ninja solution" was so much harder to do than actually playing the level as intended Valve decided to just leave it in. Now, this is just a guess but I'm assuming that this laser trick might have been something discovered in testing that they just kept in anyway, and there are probably a lot more examples of that throughout the game that people can find...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
It took me a little while. I worked out what I had to do fairly quickly, just the placement of portals and cubes was a bit awkward.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:

I too thought this was one was easy, got it withing the first 2 minutes, the gist of it that is ;)

I struggled way more with 19.