8 4X Strategy Games that Every Gamer Should Play

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
How do you manage an entire 4X list without any Heroes of Might and Magic 3?

P.S. Thanks

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
I don't understand how this list is missing Total War series, Crusader Kings 2, and Heroes of Might and Magic, yet has Warlock, Masters of Magic and effectively 2 repeats (Alpha Centuri is literally civ in space and Galactic Civ is basically a spiritual successor to masters of orion).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I loved Master of Orion, I was a full stealthy player in that. I would make everyone my friend, then pit them against each other. I would then sweep aside the loser and conquer their empire.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Xyebane said:
I don't understand how this list is missing Total War series, Crusader Kings 2, and Heroes of Might and Magic, yet has Warlock, Masters of Magic and effectively 2 repeats (Alpha Centuri is literally civ in space and Galactic Civ is basically a spiritual successor to masters of orion).
Because Total War and Crusader Kings are Grand Strategy and not 4X.
I wouldn't know about Masters of Magic and Warlock since I haven't played them.

OT: Only one of my favorite 4X games managed to find it's way on your list sadly and that is Alpha Centuari.
While Master of Orion 2 was an okay game, even great for it's time, it way too overrated today.

My own list would include Space Empires IV, Sword of the Stars, Ascendancy, Armada 2526 Supernova, Distant Worlds Universe and Imperium Galactica 2.
I would possibly add Lost Empire: Immortals just for it's sheer size and style.

Looking forward to all the recent 4X games that are being announced with barely contained glee.
A veritable boom of resurgance that finally allows 4X players to partake of a smorgasbord of choices.

Oh, and btw, SoaSE is NOT 4X. ,)

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Master of Magic? Check.

Master of Orion 2? Check.

While I'm seeing a lot of additions in above posts and challengers to some of the positions, these two were what hooked me and many others on the genre.
Almost defined it, in a way.

Oh.
He's right about SoaSE, you know.
Good game though.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
As Sins of a Solar Empire. I bought the original one without knowing anything about it appart from a moderate price tag and a decent cover art. Never looked back, was playing a game of Rebellion yesterday in fact, racked up 6 hours in three sittings for 10 man FFA that's got 6 of the users defeated so far. Great game if I've ever seen one.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I knew a few people who would get all agitated and grumpy whenever someone called SoaSE a 4X game. It was like watching a Star Wars fan gripe about how the whole Han-shot-first nonsense "ruined Star Wars". It was pure dork-rage and it was glorious to behold.

SoaSE has all of the elements of a 4X game. In fact, it has more elements of 4X than many other 4X games have. Just because the game is played in real-time it does NOT negate its status as a 4X game.

Anyway, quality list this week. There are few games in that list you'd be hard pressed to find me not enjoying and/or recommending.

Though, oddly, it makes me want to replay Populous: The Beginning. No idea why.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
I actually own all but one of these. ^_^ I have played Master of Magic a long time ago, but don't have it currently.
The rest I have, and enjoy a great deal.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Covarr said:
How do you manage an entire 4X list without any Heroes of Might and Magic 3?

P.S. Thanks
I have to ask this as well! It's different enough from the others to need especial calling out.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
There are a few games here I have not tried so I wont say whether or not they deserve to be here. However some additions I would make would be the Might & Magic series as I hear it's meant to be amazing (haven't tried it my self) and what I think to be the glorious Age Of Wonders 3... fear and tremble before my army of Elven muskets!

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 4X Strategy Games that Every Gamer Should Play

There have been some great 4X strategy games over the years, and these eight are near the top of that heap.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
MOO2 and GalCiv2?
Good...good.

'Lord of the Realms 2'?
Huh...feel like I'm one of the few people who actually played, and enjoyed, it.
XD

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, this is one of the few lists I don't really have any issues with. Missing Heroes of Might and Magic V but thats it.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Packerfan504 said:
Actually CIV Beyond Earth is the most recent game in the Civilization series.
Civ 6 is the most recent in the series. However, unlike both Beyond Earth and Civ 6, Civ 5 isn't totally broken.

I would add Stellaris to this list, but Stellaris suffers from a depth issue. You see, while it looks cool on the surface and it is massive, its average depth is about 3 microns. It's also wracked with interface problems, sound glitches, and poor balance. Which is a shame, because once you get passed the vapid political interactions, pointless ship designer, and other stupid design choices, it has the potential to be one of the best 4X games out there. Too bad Paradox didn't give Stellaris the same attention they gave Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings 2.