8 Album Covers Considered To Be Quite Legendary

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
JenSeven said:
Led Zep and T. Rex are fine and all, but where are some of the truly great?

Just to name a few.
Doesn't most people consider Born Again to be an awful album cover? :p Even the band hated if i'm not mistaken!

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
JenSeven said:
Led Zep and T. Rex are fine and all, but where are some of the truly great?

Just to name a few.
Doesn't most people consider Born Again to be an awful album cover? :p Even the band hated if i'm not mistaken!
Yes, and that's what makes it so legendary.
It's so bad and awful that I'm sure it will become some sort of retro-kitsch or something.
It's bad, it's cheap, the colours hurt your eyes and for some reason it works in that way.

Arnoxthe1 said:
Ed_Fox said:
Wait, what? No Darkside of the moon?

Dude, Dark Side of The Moon is, no exaggeration or fanboyism here, the second best album of all time. [http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradish/the-top-20-albums-of-all-time-for-real.html] BTW, that list in the link is missing the full figures but I saved 'em so here they are:

Anyway, YOU DONE SCREWED UP NOW, DR STRANGELOVE!!
Dark Side Of The Moon is fine and all, but I do prefer Dark Side Of The Spoon:

And let's add some more albums that should not be missed.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Gotta say, that was a pretty weak list. Here's a whole heap more:

Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures

The Clash: London Calling

Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell

The Beatles: Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Nirvana: Nevermind

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, The Division Bell, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals

Radiohead: The Bends

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

Bob Dylan: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

David Bowie: Diamond Dogs (Front and Back), Aladdin Sane

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King

Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
That's a poor list. I didn't recognize one of them and none seemed that fantastic in any case. At least 8 of those posted here so far beat all of them.

Personally I'm quite fond of Nneka's Concrete Jungle :)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
List of "Legendary" album covers. No apparent explanation for why these are legendary pieces of their art style. Doesn't really seem to be a list of "Legendary Album" covers either.

I guess you could chalk the second part off to the authors personal taste, but the captions don't bother explaining that distinction, or even stating why the author considers these eight items particularly legendary, whether as artwork, or music albums. It seems like a poorly focused effort at an article altogether.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Ed_Fox said:
Wait, what? No Darkside of the moon?
Can't have two Pink Floyd in the same countdown....
Although I'd rather have Dark side's cover than Atom heart's...

But yeah, there are a few albums in that list I've never seen before...

And maybe it's a matter of what my parents listened to... But I know David Bowie more than the T-Rex guy.... as evidence that I actually know Bowie's name....

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
What the hell? Considered by who? This list is absolute rubbish. I've never seen a lot of those covers, nor even heard of some of the bands.

1 - Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) [The Wall in a pinch]
2 - Nevermind (Nirvana)
3 - Queen II (Queen)
4 - London Calling (The Clash)
5 - Abbey Road (The Beatles)
6 - The Velvet Underground & Nico (The Velvet Underground & Nico) Oh wow, you got one!
7 - Bad (Michael Jackson)
8 - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols (Sex Pistols)

I mean really. "Legendary" means "Things people are aware of and have achieved high status", not these damn things.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Pretty questionable list, but I suppose that's to be expected from this feature. Anyway, no album cover list is complete with Bowie's Alladin Sane and Rush's 2112.

THeFraz

Oct 31, 2011
I agree with most others, Dark Side and a different Beatles cover (I would go Sgt. Peppers or Revolver, those are their most interesting). The other covers make sense though, to me at least. I mean, when you can only pick 8, you have to cut a lot (I'm pretty sure there have been a few albums released over the past 90 years, i'd have to double check my iTunes though).

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
I swear, Escapist is becoming Buzzfeed junior more and more, these days.Throw some images and a paragraph of text together and call it a top 8 (because a regular top 10 is beyond my ability to give a shit), I can see the inaugural plagiarism shitstorm coming already.Linkbaiting 6 year olds with disgusting "Ouch, these are NOT what you think they are!" and "This dog regrets it's choice of lunch" ogrish-lite-wannabe galleries is yet ANOTHER step towards your site sith master.
Also, your hipster is showing. Neutral Milk Hotel? ITAOTS "becoming the best album"? "Yeah, it wasn't that good, but now that all my hipster ****** friends listen to it, I've kinda warmed up to it."

10/10 will be annoyed the rest of the day.

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
White over Abbey Road? I mean, that's a little silly. I think that's just being alternative for the sake of being alternative. While I can understand someone saying that White was a better album, Abbey Road's album cover is quite possibly the most iconic.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Considered by whom?

You realize that almost none of the existing population of ... the world has ever even heard of T. Rex or.... (srlsy, wtf?!) Natural Milk Hotel? I can understand putting Radiohead on the list, but the vast majority of their home population wouldn't know the name of the album if it hit them in the head.

So, I ask again, considered by whom?

Maybe, don't make crap up as you go along.

The White Album, Led Zeppelin's IV, and maybe Pink Floyd's album are the only one's listed that even deserve credit, though the Dark Side of the Moon is the one you should have chosen.

So... legendary by some obscure internet commentator? Go you.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Alarien said:
Considered by whom?

You realize that almost none of the existing population of ... the world has ever even heard of T. Rex
I'm sorry, what?
That album featured one of the most recognisable rock songs in the history of rock. Get It On!

Also, let's not forget to mention Fire by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. Simply because. We must not forget to mention that band and song. No other reason is needed.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I'm well aware of that song. I'm sure most people have heard it more than a few times. However, awareness of a song does not equate to awareness of the band that played it. I'm sure if you pumped it into an elevator and then asked the average person who played it, you'd get a lot of "err... umm....."

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Alarien said:
I'm sure if you pumped it into an elevator and then asked the average person who played it, you'd get a lot of "err... umm....."
To be fair, I'm 25 and that would be my general response to pretty much all music produced in the last fifteen years or so. Though with regard to current music, my response would probably be closer to, "Should I care...?"

Anywho... these are some more album covers that I'd add to the list.