8 Animals That Are More Dangerous Than Sharks

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Animals That Are More Dangerous Than Sharks

With Shark Week in full swing we thought that we would give you eight animals that kill more humans than those deadly sharks. So get ready to have a whole new set of phobias by the end of this gallery, because even animals you wouldn't expect kill more than these aquatic marauders.

Read Full Article

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
We also spend more time around most of those animals. Hell, we keep most of them as pets. It doesn't make them more dangerous, just more convenient. You have a better chance of surviving a gunshot wound than an atom bomb, but atomic bomb fatalities in the US are significantly lower than gunshot wounds.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
We also spend more time around most of those animals. Hell, we keep most of them as pets. It doesn't make them more dangerous, just more convenient. You have a better chance of surviving a gunshot wound than an atom bomb, but atomic bomb fatalities in the US are significantly lower than gunshot wounds.
It's like when someone says 'More people die in car accidents than plane crashes'. Which is why I hope we never ever get flying cars.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's like when someone says 'More people die in car accidents than plane crashes'. Which is why I hope we never ever get flying cars.
Or when people say "most people die withing (number) miles of their homes."

Which is why I don't have a mobile home.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Hippos are the fat, mammalian, vegetarian, extremely aggressive cousins of crocodiles, that will follow you out of the water while running at an unimaginable speed. Steve Irwin was afraid them. The Crocodile Hunter, who played with the world's most venomous snake hundreds of miles away from civilization, didn't dare mess with them.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
Casual Shinji said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Or when people say "most people die withing (number) miles of their homes."

Which is why I don't have a mobile home.
Lists like this always do this, it's called conditional risk. Articles like this fail to take into account how often people actually go into shark infested waters. I have yet to see anyone run the numbers to see if sharks are more dangerous when they are encountered compared to when they encounter the rest than most other animals.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
And at more than 440,000 deaths per year the most deadly animal is....

MAN!

I'm with a naked chick, High Five!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
Lists like this always do this, it's called conditional risk. Articles like this fail to take into account how often people actually go into shark infested waters. I have yet to see anyone run the numbers to see if sharks are more dangerous when they are encountered compared to when they encounter the rest than most other animals.
Not to mention if we attempted to domesticate them. I mean, I don't know exact numbers, but quite a few of these deaths come from "hey y'all, watch this!" moments. People point out how harmless snakes are if you handle them correctly, for example, then go and don't handle them correctly. I don't know how safe snakes really are and don't care, but it seemed like a decent example because it's on the list. Hell, I've seen big dogs accidentally harm children, not even because they were raised by bad people.

I would be curious to see how dangerous sharks would be if people went around with them as pets.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
Aww, no love for P. vivax? You have its main buddy mosquitoes, but... well okay a protozoa isn't really an animal, just an animal-like unicellular thing, but still. It's not all just viruses taking the show there. Instead many different flavors of awful, horrible mosquito-borne death. Hooray!

I actually think I've heard about some people attempting to domesticate sharks - the main problem is that to keep something like, say, a dogfish, you need a pretty big tank. And then, well, if you get the rest of the set-up right, it's just about like keeping any other aquarium citizen that likes to snack on critters smaller than themselves.

There are of course really little ones like the Dwarf Lanternfish, but it looks less like a shark, and more like a kindly old relative who has taken upon themselves the task of clearing out your internet history after your death:

"What's this Donkey Show link fo-OH GOD"

Dogfish, a step up the scale of shark size, are actually kinda sweet and pretty popular for 'touch tanks' at aquariums where little kids can dip their hands in and pet the critters. They're pretty friendly and docile. Well, friendly and docile for fishiness. It's kinda hard to tell with aquarium pets since they aren't exactly going to fetch your shoes or sitting on your face in the middle of the night to display affection. And to boot, they have amusingly stupid-cute gormless dumb faces:

"HAY GUISE WATS GOIN ON IN THIS THREAD"

If everyone had the aquarium space available to keep sharks, I wouldn't actually expect fatalities to rise that much because, well, aquariums. I mean, how many people are killed each year by koi or angelfish? There's probably somebody who managed it, but it's also likely hard to do. I expect you probably mean if domestication like the domestication of dolphins etc. was attempted, and, well, orca are just as carnivorous... And it's similarly becoming clear that smart cetaceans are too smart to be kept in aquariums without doping them up and ignoring how unhappy they are. But that's another thread entirely. I don't think sharks are quite that smart - depending on variety, of course - but I don't know how much people have seen about their various levels of intelligence and how 'trainable' they might indeed be.

Myself, the Shark-week-paranoia-busting factoid I've always enjoyed is the fact that consistently more people are killed by vending machines than sharks per year. Because when hungry, people are idiots, and want to get their damn candy bar if it's the last thing they do. Which sometimes it truly is.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Deer aren't on the list? Massive cause of car accidents, and they can be brutal when they want to be. Heck, there's deer that kill birds just to eat their heads, and only their heads. Sure it's birds, but it's gotta say something.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
But what about the most deadly animal of them all...

the Lasersaurus rex!

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Hippos are the fat, mammalian, vegetarian, extremely aggressive cousins of crocodiles,
How are they "cousins"? Because they both have spines? Or because they perform in ballets together?