8 Anime Series on Netflix You Should Spend Your Holiday Watching

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It should be mentioned that Madoka Magica is a dark and subversive series, that is actually pretty close to Attack on Titan in terms of tone.

Another gem available on Netflix is the series Princess Jellyfish. It deals with many social anxieties, body image and personal identity issues, all while keeping a lighthearted, humorous tone. Also jellyfish, beautifully drawn jellyfish.

Belzera

Prinny Puncher
Apr 14, 2009
1 Reason not to watch Anime on Netflix.

1) Anime is not on Netflix (UK)

((The only one I found was Knights of Sydonia))

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Netflix is great for random people wanting to check out a few of the bigger hits of the past years, but for actual hardcore anime fans, the offering is ridiculosly limited compared to the dozens of new series that are airing every season, and that anime fandoms already got used to before anime was attempted to be officially accessbible in the west.

Though it's a moot point for me anyways, given that I live in Hungary, so for me there is no moral dilemma between the wider opttions and the Straight 'n Narrow, my only choice is between watching anime and not watching anime at all.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Belzera said:

Nail on the head.

When it comes to anime in 'ol Blighty, we're always getting screwed over.

Thank god for crunchyroll.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
An anime recommendation list that actually has some newer anime = Good list

----------------------------------------
Netflix isn't available in my country though.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Alterego-X said:
Netflix is great for random people wanting to check out a few of the bigger hits of the past years, but for actual hardcore anime fans, the offering is ridiculosly limited compared to the dozens of new series that are airing every season, and that anime fandoms already got used to before anime was attempted to be officially accessbible in the west.

Though it's a moot point for me anyways, given that I live in Hungary, so for me there is no moral dilemma between the wider opttions and the Straight 'n Narrow, my only choice is between watching anime and not watching anime at all.
This may be changing. Knights of Sidonia, at least for now, is a Netflix exclusive in the west, and they had the entire season dubbed and available the very week after the season finished airing in Japan. I'm not sure how far they intend to go with this, but it seems that Netflix is taking some serious measures to get some good content going.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Tssss!!! Recommending Attack on Titan?!
It's totally crap, and even the manga is no more than just average.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Try Hulu as well. Most of the anime on Hulu is in subtitles rather than dubbed, but I would've never watched Stein's Gate if it weren't for Hulu.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Fifty-One said:
Try Hulu as well. Most of the anime on Hulu is in subtitles rather than dubbed, but I would've never watched Stein's Gate if it weren't for Hulu.
You should play the visual novel next. It goes into more detail on the science bits as well more in-depth interaction with the characters that aren't Kurisu.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Gonna check out Knights of Sidonia; looks like something I might like. Oh, Trigun and Samurai Champloo are absolutely fantastic. Check it out if you haven't already.

Also, I want Mushishi to be on Netflix, in glorious HD.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Fifty-One said:
You should play the visual novel next. It goes into more detail on the science bits as well more in-depth interaction with the characters that aren't Kurisu.
I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up!

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Anime Series on Netflix You Should Spend Your Holiday Watching

Netflix has more content than anyone is ever going to get to, so we've found eight great anime series on Netflix so you don't have to do all of that pesky searching.

Read Full Article

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Belzera said:

2nd reason not to watch anime on Netflix: Crunchroll exists.

3rd reason not to watch anime on Netflix: All their content is dubbed, and while some dubs can be done well, there is often much lost in translation, and the quality is very hit and miss, whereas voice acting in Japan is such a competitive field that there is real competition just to get into the university programs offered for it.

That said, I will say that I think the English version of Death Note surpasses the Japanese one, there are a few others but that is the one that I think set the bar for English dubs, few since have reached it.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Let me give you two useful pieces of information; one, JoJo and far more series aren't there and two, they aren't subbed.

Technically I could only watch Sidonia I think, but I have VPN to fix that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm continually surprised by how large a chunk of Netflix's anime content is Funimation stuff. Alas, they don't have Funimation's best stuff (DBZ, Tenchi Muyo OVA series).

Here are eight reason I personally watch anime on Netflix
[ul]
[li]Heaven's Lost Property[/li]
[li]Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei[/li]
[li]Girls Bravo[/li]
[li]Chobits[/li]
[li]Rosario + Vampire[/li]
[li]Sekirei[/li]
[li]Tenchi Muyo GXP[/li]
[li]Kill La Kill[/li]
[/ul]

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Hmm, I'm noticing something of a trend in all my favorite Netflix anime.

P.P.P.S. They used to have Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro on there, but it's gone now. Keep an eye out in case they ever get it back; it's far and away better than anything either on my list or on the article's list. I say that even though it's not even a little bit ecchi!

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
MorganL4 said:
Belzera said:

2nd reason not to watch anime on Netflix: Crunchroll exists.

3rd reason not to watch anime on Netflix: All their content is dubbed, and while some dubs can be done well, there is often much lost in translation, and the quality is very hit and miss, whereas voice acting in Japan is such a competitive field that there is real competition just to get into the university programs offered for it.

That said, I will say that I think the English version of Death Note surpasses the Japanese one, there are a few others but that is the one that I think set the bar for English dubs, few since have reached it.
They have the Japanese version as well. You just have to go to the audio/subtitle settings when starting the show for the first time and choose Japanese audio and English Subtitles.

And they don't even have the English dub for everything available. At least in the US. I just finished Blue Exorcist (not bad but not amazing, its a fun ride) and it only had the option for Japanese audio.

OT: No Kill la Kill? No Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood? Really? Two of the best animes, no two of the best SHOWS, I have EVER seen and are almost universally acclaimed (at least in FMA:B's instance) and loved by the viewers aren't on your list? For shame.

Even if you don't like Kill la Kill you have to admit the sheer spectacle and insanity is at least somewhat entertaining.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
It makes me sad when I see a list of recommended anime, and don't see Fate/Zero on there.

Fate/Zero is one of the BEST anime I've ever seen and no one I know seems to have watched it! D=

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
NOw, it's been a year or two since I've had netflix, but when I did, Clannad was on there. If Clannad is still on there, and yet not on this list...

SHHHHAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEE!