8 Awesome Voice Acting Performances in Videogames

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Awesome Voice Acting Performances in Videogames

These eight voice acting performances rank among the best ever heard in a video game.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hah! I actually thought before going from 6 to 7 "If this one isn't going to be Simon Templeman as Kain, imma flip my shit". Good ol' Simon, still being the most badass vampire in videogames (or perhaps ever) and providing five damn fine performances in every game of the Legacy of Kain series and coming out on top in really illustrious cast (I mean, the games had Michael Bell, Tony Jay and Anna Gunn in them). Young'uns nowadays may know him better as Gabriel Roman from the original Uncharted, Loghain Mac-Tyr from Dragon Age, Admiral Han'Gerrel and Dr. Gavin Archer from Mass Effect 2 and 3 and some sith officer dude from The Old Republic.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I'm surprised that Stephen Russell as Garrett is not on the list. His wonderful cynical voice performance lifted the game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So that's what Nolan North looks like. I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, I could not imagine somebody who looks like Troy Baker having Joel's voice. Darn.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Great list overall, every single one of those actors deserve to be on it. It's a shame it's just 8 though, I'd like to mention the awesomeness of Stephen Russell, the original voice of Garrett on the original Thief games.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Clancey Brown did that bounty hunter in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. And OH YEAH, FREAKIN' NEO CORTEX! He also does Mr. Krabs, which repeatedly blows my mind about once every three months.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Great list, Mark hammil is basically a given for all eternity because he is THE perfect joker.

Only gripe is Nolan North, who only deserves to be on lists of infamy. Fuck you Nolan! You're awful. You made Jedi Counselor in SWTOR unplayable. I'd rather have Gilbert Gottfried voice serious roles.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Silentpony said:
What?!
No one from the Resident Evil series?! This list is absurd!
While I know a lot of people mock the series for poor voice acting, most of these bad examples come from the first game...which really did have atrocious voice acting. Starting with 2, Resident Evil pretty much fell into line with the rest of the industry standard, but I have to say that Paul Haddad as Leon Kennedy in RE2 did a fantastic job. And Troy Baker was Jake Muller in RE6, so there's that.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Mark Hamill is also fantastic as the voice of "The Watcher" in the Darksiders games. It has a lot in common with the Jokers voice, but is certainly it's own entity. :) A wonderfully sarcastic commenter on your actions.

And yes, Jennifer Hale is fantastic as Lady Sheppard, never touched the male version after the first game, purely based on her performance throughout the series. :)

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
You mean to tell me that you couldn't find a spot for Claudia Black on this list?!

I'm not entirely sure why I bother with these anymore. She basically made the Dragon Age series, not to mention her role as Chloe Frazier in Uncharted.

Just listening to her speak ANYTHING is a pure joy. How could this be missed?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Good list, I agree with most of them. In terms of voice actors not on the list, I thought Courtnee Draper did a great job as Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth. She really did run the emotional gambit, ranging from happy to sad to angry... Made you really feel for her, y'know?

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
Great list of course, but where is Kevan Brighting for the Narrator in The Stanley Parable? Absolutely brilliant (and incredibly multifaceted) performance, the game wouldn't be the same without him.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
RealRT said:
Hah! I actually thought before going from 6 to 7 "If this one isn't going to be Simon Templeman as Kain, imma flip my shit".
I thought the exact same thing. I really need a new Legacy of Kain game. Nosgoth doesn't count.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm so happy that Simon Templeman made it in there for his portrayal of Kain.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
You mean to tell me that you couldn't find a spot for Claudia Black on this list?!

I'm not entirely sure why I bother with these anymore. She basically made the Dragon Age series, not to mention her role as Chloe Frazier in Uncharted.

Just listening to her speak ANYTHING is a pure joy. How could this be missed?
CrazyGirl17 said:
Good list, I agree with most of them. In terms of voice actors not on the list, I thought Courtnee Draper did a great job as Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth. She really did run the emotional gambit, ranging from happy to sad to angry... Made you really feel for her, y'know?
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'd like to give a special mention to James McCaffrey, the most excellent voice of Max Payne.
albino boo said:
I'm surprised that Stephen Russell as Garrett is not on the list. His wonderful cynical voice performance lifted the game.
Every one of these was considered, and I spent far too long sitting here staring at the screen not wanting to make the cut I had to make.

Maybe I'll do a second one sometime soon.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
No Logan Cunningham of Bastion/Transistor fame? No Wayne June for his work on Darkest Dungeon? I suppose they're both in more of a narration role, which might make them ineligible in which case, fair enough. Can't argue with the rest of the list. Some stand out performances right there.