8 Bands You'd Only Know If You Were Alive In The 80s

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
8 Bands You'd Only Know if You Were Alive in the '80s...

... as written by someone who's memory of the '80s is selective and largely kept alive by pop culture bleed between generations.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Not if you looked up the greatest hits from the 80s like I did :p

Though I haven't actually listened to Hall & Oates yet, guess this is the day.

Also, upon reading Patrick saying the Genesis stuff before their 80's pop albums being more artsy, that's because it was PROGRESSIVE ROCK MOTHAFUCKA!! Also known as art rock. You know, for doing something really unique. The 70s wins hands down.

Sorry you're getting judged so MrStrange. But they are right, the list could be a little more obscure.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
I agree the list is dubious, since almost of them are pretty well known. And Depeche Mode is a joke. I regularly see posters for Depeche Mode parties. DM might have devolved into pointlessness since Alan Wilder left and formed Recoil, but they're not an obscure band by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, I fundamentally disagree with the idea that the 80's was the arguably best decade for music (in the history of music, no less). It was unquestionably the worst (and by unquestionably, I mean that anyone who does question this doesn't know what they are talking about). Just in the rock and pop scene, the late 60's and early 70's were were better by an order of magnitude, with the birth of heavy metal, punk, electronic, prog, industrial, and pretty much everything else. The 80's watered all that down into commercialized garbage. True, Jasoni89's list contains some pretty great bands, but they're mostly from the indie scene (when indie meant indie, yay 4AD!), and exceptions to the rule. There was good music in the 80's, but it was a trickle rather and a vast river.

And all that's quite separate from the fact that this kind of statement completely ignores anything other than the pop/rock scene, which is still an upstart in 'the history of music'. What about classical? What about jazz?

Yeah, I'm being a music snob, but I don't care. The 80's were awful. End rant.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Really? I thought you were going to actually give us a more recognizably 80s list not a load of bands people really do still come into contact with today.

A better list would be;

Quiet Riot
Def Leppard
Europe
Cinderella (i could make a whole list of popular late 80s hair-metal that the 90s made look like gay pirates)
Winger
Spandau Ballet
Tears for Fears
Ultravox
I can do one better...

Bauhaus
The Teardrop Explodes
Killing Joke
My Bloody Valentine
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Dinosaur Jr
Pixies
Galaxie 500
The Sound
The Chameleons
The Fall
Joy Division
Echo and the Bunnymen
X
The Cocteau Twins
Primal Scream
Happy Monday's
The Stone Roses

All bow down to my glorious music taste, your welcome.
Hmmm... A lot of those fella were popular post 80's... then again so were Scrumpmonkey's list and the original list!

There are literally no bands that you can tie to a particular decade, and I hope the title of this weeks photo gallery is a micky take of those 'please click and read my shitty article because I probably get ad revenue' links you see plastered all over facebook! :/

(But of course I will add that, as a member of the Group that Celebrates Itself I definitely do like your list! :p
I also have notifications for that group, and when ever you guys mention a band I immediately check it out and have a listen!)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Hey guys, I love that award-winning show, Glee. Maybe some of you old men from the 80's can tell me if any of these bands would suit my tastes!

nyarLOLhotep

Jan 22, 2013
I was expecting a little more obscure. They play the Talking Heads on the canned music at the grocery store. I hear Bananarama at work all the time on one of those god awful top 40 for the last 30 years stations. This stuff shows up in a million movie trailers. It's still all over the damn place.