8 Batman Villains That Could Use The Attention

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Batman Villains That Could Use The Attention

Batman has no shortage of enemies. Here we give you just a few that haven't gotten the attention that they deserve.

Read Full Article

Dec 16, 2009
Seems a bit like filler to me. Flesh out the comments a little under each pic. Some more character insite. Crane and Bane have seen love in the Arkham games btw

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
I have a similar critique to this as I did your Justice League Costumes bit: give me a reason to flip through the pages. Just showing characters isn't enough to interest audiences if they can get the exact same service by scrolling down a wikipedia list. Tell us about the characters. What makes them interesting? What were the big stories? What were the numbers of those issues? How do you feel the characters have/haven't stood the test of time? How could they be made stronger?

You're a fan, I get it. Make us fans too. Best example of doing this right? Moviebob's Big Picture series. You don't have to BE him, but understand what makes his videos work. This comment extends to all of your segments thus far, btw.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This list was just as bad as the previous one.

1) Several of these villains get a LOT of attention.

2) Where's the females at?

3) 'Owl man', seriously?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I HATE HUSH.

The original story is brilliant, but writers who cntinued the story of the character completely missed the point...

Just one more reminder to me why I prefer manga.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I love scarecrow, but I don't see how he is necessarily "underused". Bane is terrible and has been used quite enough (both poorly and decently). I don't care if he "took down the Batman first". He's a boring character overall. Also, Ra's Al Ghul? First big antagonist of the latest Batman films AND played by a big name actor to boot? The same Ra's who was also shown in "Under the Red Hood" as well as various Justice League (comic) story arcs like the one that became the animated movie, "Doom" only to have him swapped out for Vandal Savage for some raisin? The same Ra's who was also one of the
main antagonists for Arkham City?
No, I wouldn't really count him either.

Also, why are there no names for anyone on this list? If the point was to show us obscure Batman villains, it might help to give us names so we can look them up and find them in books if we were so inclined. By not showing us names, this list really does NOTHING to help these so called under used characters in any way.

Tanis said:
3) 'Owl man', seriously?
Also, yes. Why is Owl man on this list? At best, he's a one-off villain for a rather unique plot that probably won't (or at least shouldn't) really be revisited again. At worst, he's Batman's Wario but with even less need to exist because Joker makes for a better Anti-Batman than him.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Who the fuck is number 5?

Also if you've been in a film you aren't in need of more attention as a villain. My vote for underused villain would be The Absence, she's just a woman with a hole in her head that's never properly explained, she shows up plays Batman like a fool and then disappears forever.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
If the 1st guy is supposed to be anarchy he got attention in Beware the Batman... but that just got cancelled.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Kindly put names to some of these faces, as a suggestion.

I mean I recognized everyone, even if vaguely. Looking at twins, I guessed correctly, and I can't be arsed to type out their names.
Looking at Blockbuster I was like "Whaaa? Gotta be blockbuster?" then I looked at the picture URL to verify. I remember him being somewhat prominent in Young Justice as a Villain. The build, and the hair kinda tipped me off.

Some I agree on, though Anarky is getting some attention via "Beware the bat", aka the new batman TV show people seem to either love, or hate.
I'm in the former purely because they're getting obscure people out there, and I like Katana who's kinda obscure herself. <.<
And Lady Shiva.
I doubt we'll be seeing Cassandra as Batgirl what with it being so early in batman's career that Barbara doesn't even seem teenaged.

But Bane (I miss the Secret Six. Bane was awesome in that.), Scarecrow, and Ras seem to not be obscure enough to be on the list, rightfully. They were pretty prominent in recent batman games to say the least.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Let's see, you fail to give the name of most of these, so how are they ever going to get attention if we don't know who they are?

Also Bane, and Scarecrow? Underexposed! In what world have you been living?

Put more than 30 seconds into writing captions next time, or even better, stop wasting space with this feature

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think it's a poorly made list. It's bad enough you don't give away any names, half the time you're not making any sense with the whole "attention" thing. Most of these guys are getting plenty of attention!

Bane - First boss battle of Arkham Asylum, major quest giver in Arkham City, is appearing as one of the assassins in Arham Origins, is the main villain in The Dark Knight Rises, is a character in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Scarecrow - Recurring boss character in Arkham Asylum, central Easter Egg in Arkham City, is one of the main villains in Batman Begins and goes on to appear in every other movie in the trilogy.
Ra's al Ghul - Central villain in Batman Begins, shows up in The Dark Knight Rises as well, one of the main villains in Arkham City, gets a sort of cameo in Arkham Asylum, appears in Under the Red Hood
Hush - Central figure in an Arkham City sidequest. Not to mention, of the characters listed, he's the most recently created and has enjoyed quite a lot of popularity ever since its inception in 2003.

Now for your other half of the list.

Anarky - He recently showed up in the TV show Beware of the Bat and is now appearing in Arkham Origins though, so there's that.

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum - They get a bio in Arkham Asylum, but let's be honest - who really wants them back? Their "thing" is to quote Alice in Wonderland and we already have Mad Hatter for that.
Blockbuster - Fair pick, he's not very popular these days, but what do you want him for? He's just the brute powerhouse. Bane without the smarts. Croc without the skin disease. The supervillainous equivalent of a Titan henchman.
Owl Man - I know nothing about this guy, but as a no. #1 pick you don't have a very compelling argument for him. Azrael makes a better doppelganger.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah.....this article isn't really truthful to the whole "underused character" title. Especially since about half of the list has been in Batman media within the last 2 years.

Here's a better list:

Bonecrusher:
He has extreme knowledge of all of the bones in the human body and how to break them with his bare hands. Decent concept to be modernized.

Film Freak:
A serial killer who kills his victims in the fashions of famous movie deaths. This would be a dream for the film fanatic in anyone if modernized. It'd play well with Batman's "world's greatest detective" mantra.

Mad Hatter:
Obsessive compulsive, highly delusional, and addicted to hats of all shapes and sizes. He's a genius neurotechnologist that uses his hats among other tools he built himself to control the minds of those he wishes. Also uses psychoactive drugs with tea. Not enough love.

The Maroni and Falcone Crime Families

Because it'd be nice to have some "normal" criminals mixed in with a bunch of supervilliains with mental illnesses.

But yeah, these are in my opinion, much more deserving of being called under utilized characters in the Batman universe.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
AzrealMaximillion said:
Bonecrusher:
He has extreme knowledge of all of the bones in the human body and how to break them with his bare hands. Decent concept to be modernized.
If you wanted to kick that up a notch, you could make him an expert on the entire human body- not only the weak points of bones, but pressure/pain points, locations of major arteries and veins, etc. Somebody who could disable, harm or kill just about anyone with his bare hands if they don't know how to counter him.

They could get rid of that ridiculously top-heavy body design, too.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
The thread is endemic to ALL DC villains/heroes, not just Batman.

One of the primary reasons that DC lags behind Marvel on a general basis (not because Marvel is superior... it isn't) is because DC makes horrifically poor villains.

They're all terrible. In fact, viewing this list, the only one that isn't godawful (and only because of his MOVIE PORTRAYAL by Cillian Murphy) is the Scarecrow.

A lot of stories are made or broken by their villains. DC has no clue about this. I am not sure Marvel has a clue about this, but tends to craft slightly more amusing good guys in the interim (except for Magneto... Magneto is sorta awesome)...

Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman stink... for the DC's, because they have no compelling foil. For the most part, neither do Marvel's heroes, with sad attempts like Green Goblin, Loki, and The Mandarin. It's sorta pathetic that the X-Men, a series that has gone so far off "the rails" (if one could definite "the rails") has the best stable of villains of any current series in print.

(note: does anyone else not still categorize Emma Frost as a "villain?" I know I still do)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
What...half of these are regulars. Why not just add the Joker too? ...that sounds a bit mean, sorry.

The Riddler really needs more attention, I love wordplay and the like, and while some were very cheesy, the trophy hunting was my favorite part of both games.

I know he's a big one, but he's the least featured, and it makes me sad.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think it's a poorly made list. It's bad enough you don't give away any names, half the time you're not making any sense with the whole "attention" thing. Most of these guys are getting plenty of attention!

Bane - First boss battle of Arkham Asylum, major quest giver in Arkham City, is appearing as one of the assassins in Arham Origins, is the main villain in The Dark Knight Rises.
Scarecrow - Recurring boss character in Arkham Asylum, central Easter Egg in Arkham City, is one of the main villains in Batman Begins and goes on to appear in every other movie in the trilogy.
Ra's al Ghul - Central villain in Batman Begins, shows up in The Dark Knight Rises as well, one of the main villains in Arkham City, gets a sort of cameo in Arkham Asylum, appears in Under the Red Hood
I don't follow Batman and even I know those characters, they get plenty of love between the Arkham games and the Nolan movies.

AzrealMaximillion said:
Perhaps not the Bonecruncher, the term bone for me is now hilarious thanks to the Xbone meme but the others could work especially with the Maroni/Falcone families staring in the Nolan films.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:

Bane - First boss battle of Arkham Asylum, major quest giver in Arkham City, is appearing as one of the assassins in Arham Origins, is the main villain in The Dark Knight Rises.
Hush - Central figure in an Arkham City sidequest. Not to mention, of the characters listed, he's the most recently created and has enjoyed quite a lot of popularity ever since its inception in 2003.

Now for your other half of the list.

Anarky - He recently showed up in the TV show Beware of the Bat and is now appearing in Arkham Origins though, so there's that.

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum - They get a bio in Arkham Asylum, but let's be honest - who really wants them back? Their "thing" is to quote Alice in Wonderland and we already have Mad Hatter for that.
Blockbuster - Fair pick, he's not very popular these days, but what do you want him for? He's just the brute powerhouse. Bane without the smarts. Croc without the skin disease. The supervillainous equivalent of a Titan henchman.

I was about to rattle off about how most of these guys get more than their fair share of representation, but you seem to have beaten me to the punch.

Owl Man - I know nothing about this guy, but as a no. #1 pick you don't have a very compelling argument for him. Azrael makes a better doppelganger.
He was the main villain in the animated film Crisis on Two Earths, where he was played with nihilistic brilliance by James Woods. He's basically a reverse Batman from a different dimension.

Personally, if we're talking about Batman villains who don't get love, I say go for guys like Calendar Man, and really play up their psychoses as more than just funny quirks. Like, serial killer crazy, not Riddler crazy.

Better yet, give them a superpower to match their mental illness, like how B:TAS gave Clock King time manipulation powers.