8 Best Board Games of 2013

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
8 Best Board Games of 2013

Board Games are in some of their finest hours, a renaissance of sorts. Here's the best from 2013.

Read Full Article

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
GamemasterAnthony said:
Wait...there's now a Rampage board game? How based, loosely or otherwise, on the video game of the same name?
It involves screaming at your friends and wrecking a city with giant monsters?

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
OK, lets do this thing:

Forbidden Desert: Co-ops generally suck, and Forbidden Island is the worst example of the worst kind. A sequel to that crap? No thanks

Suburbia: Cool stuff. Played it a couple of times, it's a fun hex-buying game with a good chunk of strategy and table-talk to it.

Pathfinder: No interest in RPGs, the group I've seen play it....I generally want to avoid them. So that's a negative vote for just the people who I see play it.

Hanabi: Skipping here since I haven't played the others in the middle. Fun game, far too easy to accidentally cheat. Been played to death by most people I know, myself included. Don't think it's going to age well at all.

This was a weird year of board gaming for me. Pretty much everything new I played was actually a year or 2 old, and I just discovered it now. I'll have to check out the games I didn't really recognize on there, see how they play.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
The Pathfinder Adventure Card game was easily my best board game purchase of 2013. Though I'm not letting anyone write on my cards to gain their feats. They can keep that in a notebook or something. But it's still great fun to play when a few guys and I have the day off and are just looking for a straight board game marathon.

Out of all of these Forbidden Desert is the one I'm most interested in trying. The premise just sounds interesting.

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
Mastodonic said:
Best suggestion for a family that enjoys after dinner games but not 5hr long efforts?
Forbidden desert is great for a family with 12+ yr old kids. 45mins or less. Eight minute empire if they're a bit more competitive.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I think I'm going to come out and say it. Board games have supplanted video games as my preferred game experience. There's just something about yelling at your friends in a game of Resistance or spending eight hours of Twilight Imperium that no video screen can recreate.

I would love to see the Escapist cover more board games like Archipelago.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/intro-boardgaming/

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
JonB said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
Wait...there's now a Rampage board game? How based, loosely or otherwise, on the video game of the same name?
It involves screaming at your friends and wrecking a city with giant monsters?
Actually...YES! In the original arcade version of Rampage, your job was to wreck cities until hey were razed to the ground and since you could play with (and against) your friends, there was bound to be some screaming involved.

EdHaag

Jun 15, 2011
Well, it came out in 2011, but the best game I played in 2013 was Risk: Legacy. It takes the most fun part of Risk (rolling the dice and attacking your friends), removes the worst part (the sheer length of the game; the first four games we played of Legacy only lasted about 30 minutes each), and wraps it all in the most innovative campaign setup I've ever seen in a board game.

Our group still has 3 more games to go before we "complete" our board and end the campaign, but every single one of the 12 games we've done so far has been an absolute blast.

It's also the only board game to date that requires spoiler tags when talking about it, although it will be joined in that department later this year by SeaFall, designed by the same guy.