8-bit Gaming Fan Crafts Lego Tribute Video

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
8-bit Gaming Fan Crafts Lego Tribute Video

Hoping to simultaneously enshrine two beloved childhood forces, YouTube user rymdreglage created "8-bit Trip" -- a stop motion Lego-based ode to 8-bit gaming.

Admittedly, this video probably would have scored a place on gaming sites simply for combining Legos and gaming themes -- we're suckers for that kind of thing -- but some of the camera techniques he employs here are worthy of actual professional music videos.

Remember that White Stripes video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRDi67G0Siw]? The one with the Legos and the band and the lo-fi production values? This video totally trumps that one, at least in its use of hypnotically moving Lego bricks, and you don't even have to look at Jack White's creepy dead eyes.

(Via [http://www.geekologie.com/2009/08/1500_hours_of_lego_photography.php])

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
That was the greatest video Ive seen in a long time.

That one part where it starts playing Pong was mindblowing.

Shadedblade

Mar 15, 2009
Damn, this must of taken sooooo long, they must have been working on it since the 8-bit era. Pretty damn epic in my opinion.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Damn good video!

Shadedblade said:
Damn, this must of taken sooooo long, they must have been working on it since the 8-bit era. Pretty damn epic in my opinion.
I'm guessing the bulk of this video is CGI, rather than real lego bricks.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Shadedblade said:
I read somewhere, though I can't remember, that it was over 1000 hours of work.

And on another not, this was absurdly awesome. Great animation work overall.

Shadedblade

Mar 15, 2009
Doug said:
Damn good video!

Shadedblade said:
I'm guessing the bulk of this video is CGI, rather than real lego bricks.
Absolutely, but it still takes a very long time to do videos in CGI, especially ones that look this real, and are this fast-paced. I was exaggerating of course when I said that they must have been working on this since the 8-bit era, but I think that we can both agree that this video is still extremely epic, and is incredibly professional-looking.

person427

May 28, 2009
That was the greatest thing I have ever seen. 8-bit games will always be the best games.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
i saw that video yesterday, and it is truly amazing
It proves that there are still cool people in existence (Stupid moron trendies with no life don't count)