8 Buggy Games that We Still Loved

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

These eight games might have some crazy bugs built-in, but that didn't mean that we (and our community) didn't enjoy them.

Read Full Article

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Most of the Obsidian library qualifies for this. Really well-written games...just really goddamn buggy on release.

It took...god knows how many years for KoTOR II to be restored to it's intended glory(though it was pretty damn good regardless).

Ricwulf

Feb 21, 2015
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Most of the Obsidian library qualifies for this. Really well-written games...just really goddamn buggy on release.
As long as they aren't game breaking, it isn't too bad, and Bethesda/Obsidian are pretty decent at getting them fixed fast enough.

As for the rest of the list, it is a bit of a cheat to include Goat Simulator. That is the whole point of the game. Without the bugs, there is no game really. You could argue the collectables, but that is hardly a game.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
ffronw said:

These eight games might have some crazy bugs built-in, but that didn't mean that we (and our community) didn't enjoy them.

Read Full Article
Can I just say that having the community input used for a "Gallery Of The Day is pretty dang neat :D

I'm just kinda bummed I didn't post in that thread when I had the chance ^^;

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'll call out "Daggerfall" as my own personal favorite of the series.

Despite the occasional game breaking bugs, crashes and all kinds of insanity (slaughtering guards as a wereboar and then looting them to find silver weapons, non of which they equipped as loot generated after death), there has yet to be a game that struck me with the extent of the freedom for the player and scope of developer ambition.

Granted, that may be because it was one of the first open world rpg style games I ever played, and I guess you never forget your first time, but even with subsequent games, it always felt that little bit smaller.

My addition to the list would be

Elite 2 : A crashtastic affair that was a nightmare to play, but having the universe at your virtual feet made it worth the effort.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Some of those games aren't buggy at all and are only really average-quality games. Then I think of games like STALKER and RDR that were quite buggy yet are fantastic games. Weird list.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Not really Bethesda's fault. They have licensed an incredibly shoddy game engine. A lot of the fan made Unofficial patches actually bring the games back to a (semi) playable level, depending on the game.

I always wanted to try Alpha Protocol. But the initial report of game breaking bugs kept me away. How stable is it now with, presumably, all the patches for it?

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
"Simpsons: Hit and Run" Seriously that game was outright broken sometimes (especially if you entered in the cheat codes) but breaking the game was half the fun sometimes, and it was still awesome when it worked.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Alpha Protocol could have easily been a breakout hit for Sega (who REALLY needed one at the time......and kinda sorta still do). I really enjoyed it, but I would be lying if I said that the bugs were not a MAJOR detractor for me. If they were given enough time to properly iron it out I would LOVE to see a sequel.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
008Zulu said:
Not really Bethesda's fault. They have licensed an incredibly shoddy game engine. A lot of the fan made Unofficial patches actually bring the games back to a (semi) playable level, depending on the game.

I always wanted to try Alpha Protocol. But the initial report of game breaking bugs kept me away. How stable is it now with, presumably, all the patches for it?
There are sections that are REALLY buggy even now, but if you get it on Steam there have been a number of patches and it really is still a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend picking it up. When I did it was on sale for $2. It is currently $15, but if I had no choice, knowing what I know now I would have no qualms spending $15 on it.

One nice thing is there is a bit of replay-ability with the game because it has sort of a design your own class system. And you can try the game with a stealthy spy or an elite hacker with a little gun knowledge, or a more in your face action hero depending on your preference.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MorganL4 said:
There are sections that are REALLY buggy even now, but if you get it on Steam there have been a number of patches and it really is still a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend picking it up. When I did it was on sale for $2. It is currently $15, but if I had no choice, knowing what I know now I would have no qualms spending $15 on it.

One nice thing is there is a bit of replay-ability with the game because it has sort of a design your own class system. And you can try the game with a stealthy spy or an elite hacker with a little gun knowledge, or a more in your face action hero depending on your preference.
Thought you meant Bethesda games for a second there.

I might give it a go, but not at full price.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Vampire Bloodlines : The Masquerade should have been here . The game is full of bugs and glitches and still is considered to be one of the best and unique rpgs ever created.....

Most of the games in the list arent buggy enough to be on this list....

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
TheArcaneThinker said:
Vampire Bloodlines : The Masquerade should have been here . The game is full of bugs and glitches and still is considered to be one of the best and unique rpgs ever created.....

God, yes! I was just about to post this. I think an LPer or someone should replay games that deserve a sequel / second chance. Cn you imagine a Malkavian playthrough of VtMB? Or of Veteran on Alpha Protocol?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
If it pleases the community court, I move to add "Two Worlds" to that list. If you can push past the first few levels to a point where wolves dont kill you in seconds, the game because brilliant fun. A pretty good example of a true sandbox; for instance, I knew that some rebels in the mountains had what I needed so when they started trying to send me on a fetch quest I just slaughtered them all instead. Got the item I wanted, and was then rewarded when I met the "imperials" down south who had what I had done.

VoidWanderer said:
TheArcaneThinker said:

God, yes! I was just about to post this. I think an LPer or someone should replay games that deserve a sequel / second chance. Cn you imagine a Malkavian playthrough of VtMB? Or of Veteran on Alpha Protocol?
A playthrough as a Nosferatu is pretty taxing; you dont realise how much you take walking around the streets for granted!

The fantastic work by Wesp with his Unofficial Patch is brilliant, though its a huge shame that CCP killed the Project Vaulderie (a remake of Bloodlines in the Unity engine).

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Loved Fallout new Vegas. Never really ran into any serious bugs with it though.

Alpha Protocol got a lot more hate on launch than I felt it deserved. I played the hell out of it and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. Don't count on a sequel though. Last I heard Sega had the rights to the IP and will not let Obsidian touch it.

And I am going join those who are wondering why Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is not on this list. It's both profoundly buggy and awesome at the same time. Just like Troika's other 2 games.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
WickedBuddha said:
Great article.

Found a typo though that probably should be fixed. Well unless it was meant to be added as a bug to the buggy article. ^_^
Anyway it is this line in the Elder Scrolls portion of the article "letting you steam from a merchant as long as you first put a bucket on their head" with the typo bold and red.
Um...that was TOTALLY intentional. I did that on purpose. As a bug.

You believe me right?

RIGHT?!?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ffronw said:
You can crouch behind a non-broken door and keep the tank from breaking in.
Unfortunately, that one doesn't work anymore. Hasn't for a while. However...

The funniest one I have seen so far is that you shoot both arms off a common infected, and it will still climb to the roof of a house to get at you. Now that's dedication.
Oh, it gets so much worse. For example, in the Mutation sample "Shoot-Zones", you can dismember the common zombies to the point that you're being mauled by, say, a zombie with no head, a pair of legs, or even a limbless, headless floating torso. What's funny about it, though, is that seeing this bug requires another bug coming into play. Once you reach the end of the Shoot-Zones sample map, the server will load the next map in the campaign sequence. It's not supposed to do this as Valve only altered one map for use in the new sample mode, so as a result the maps continue as normal but lack any of the requisite 'shoot-zones' from which players can kill the infected from.

(this bug basically makes the common infected almost unkillable. try beating the campaign if you want a serious challenge.)

Then there are bugs like the heat-seeking Charger in Versus modes.

Basically, all one need do to see this bug is, if the team is about to get a Tank, and if the player about to gain control of the Tank is currently in control of the Charger, the Charger player just needs to left-click to start the charge attack just before they're switched to the Tank. As the bot AI takes over the Charger, it will be free to move as it pleases, but will still attempt to complete the charge attack.

The results are always hilarious. I've seen some do numerous spins within a group of survivors, punching as they went, all the while holding one of the survivors in its hand.

And then there's this bug:

Not much to say, really. Valve (mostly) patched it out, thankfully, but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Left 4 Dead 2 is an incredibly buggy game. Yet, I love the hell out of it. Still play PUG versus matches with some degree of regularity.