8 Canceled Games We Wish Weren't

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Canceled Games We Wish Weren't

Here are eight games we wish were never canceled.

Do you have a favorite? If so, let us know in the comments section below!

Read Full Article

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The picture for Silent Hills...looks like its from Layers of Fear >.>

And Scalebound was overrated before it even existed. Glad I never got pulled into caring.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I still wonder about the fifth Capcom Five game, Dead Phoenix, maybe it would have been great like RE4 or Viewtiful Joe or develop a cult following like PN03 and Killer7.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
There was more to the problems with Fallout Online. Interplay sold the rights to the Fallout IP to Bethesda, but had a clause in that said they retained the rights to a Fallout MMO for a set duration of time. After that they'd have to show a working game or the rights would default to Bethesda. Interplay had 24 months to begin full development, 48 months to release the game and had to raise 30 million USD for game development in order to retain the rights to the Fallout MMO. After 24 months (and change) Bethesda filed a lawsuit to have Interplay cease development of the MMO as Bethesda claimed that Interplay had failed both to start full scale development and had not raised the necessary funding for the MMO.

All of it can be read here [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bethesda_Softworks_LLC_v._Interplay_Entertainment_Corporation]. Sufficient to say is that the Fallout MMO was always a pipe dream and even if Bethesda had let Interplay do their thing it is highly unlikely they would ever have released an actual Fallout MMO.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine 2, the first game was great but sadly finances screwed it and now we just have one great game with a cliffhanger that will go officially unresolved forever.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Considering everything I've read about Doom 4, I'm actually glad we got Doom 2016 instead. You can really tell that they knew they had to go back to the drawing board and I think it payed off in spades.

At the same time, I wish we could still get Prey 2, especially since it sounded like it was close to being finished. And 1313 is just a tragedy. There will probably never be a truly decent Star Wars game again (and the only one that would've been was a fan resurrection of the canceled Battlefront 3 that got a C&D instead. Figures it would be EA's doing).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The funny thing about Ghost is that Blizzard was indeed working on numerous other projects, so they outsourced it to a 3rd party studio. The game was coming along, but when Blizzard checked in to see how things were going, they saw that it was turning out to be a generic 3rd person shooter set in the SC universe while Blizzard was wanting it to be more of a stealth-based Metal Gear Solid-like game. So the scrapped it.

Saelune said:
The picture for Silent Hills...looks like its from Layers of Fear >.>
Pretty sure it is. Granted there weren't any screenshots to pull from Silent HIlls since it didn't make it far enough into production, but they could have at least slapped up a screenshot from PT or that teaser video that we did get for Silent Hills. :p

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I'm pretty sure I've read a story earlier (on Escapist too, most likely) on how Overwatch was actually put together from the pieces left over after scrapping Titan, so Titan itself isn't a complete enigma. It would've been set in the Overwatch universe, or something close to it, my personal bet being the Omnic Crisis period, seeing how it has an extensive group of "heroes" involved, with numerous faceless mooks to farm (it's mentioned in Bastion's backstory it was a very common mass-produced combat model during the crisis, one of the mainstays in the omnic army) and large scale boss battles (d-va's backstory mentions huge squid-like omnic creature attacking Korea iirc).

Edit: Here I even ferreted out the relevant [url: www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.947344-How-Overwatch-Was-Born-From-The-Ashes-of-Titan]link[/url].

Edit 2: the url bbcode seems borked, here's a raw version of the link: www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.947344-How-Overwatch-Was-Born-From-The-Ashes-of-Titan

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ah, Silent Hills. I still regret that I didn't download the demo before Konami decided on the whole, "We hate everyone on the planet" path. I get the feeling that game might have terrified me like 2 and 3 did all those years ago.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Back in the day there was a survival horror game called Sadness announced for the Wii. It looked pretty interesting.

Apparently the game never really made it past a conceptual stage but the devs were keen on promoting it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'd add Outcast 2 to that. The first game was all kinds of awesome, the sequel had its development 'paused' for a couple of years before disappearing quietly.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but I will forever be salty about Arkane's "Prey". I'm sure it'll be good, but if you're not going to follow the spirit of the original, then it's not a re-imagining but identity theft.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I remember getting excited for Starcraft Ghost, I imagined a cross between an Alien vs Predator game and a Thief game.
Then there is also these overlooked ones:

Outcast 2

Whore of the Orient

Van Buren

And that is only the confirmed sequels I can remember.
The potential sequels or should have been sequels far outweigh them.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
thenewguy512739 said:
I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but I will forever be salty about Arkane's "Prey". I'm sure it'll be good, but if you're not going to follow the spirit of the original, then it's not a re-imagining but identity theft.
I wanted to know what happened to Tommy.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Hmm, exactly *not* what Fallout Online was supposed to look like, but I don't think that's Silent Hills either so what can you do.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1) Hell yes :(

2) Yes

3) Can't really comment, but how would this even be revived with the Prey name?

4) Can't comment

5) Yes - much rather have this than Doom 2016

6) Not too much, not a fan of MMOs - don't play Overwatch either, but I can still enjoy the animated shorts and whatnot

7) Meh

8) Not personally invested, but it was a shame to see this go

Anyway, I'll also add:

-Tiberium
-Darksiders 3
-Gears of War: Tactics
-Metroid 3DS
-Perfect Dark Core (well, sort of, the plot sounded absolutely bonkers)
-Aliens: Crucible

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Mahorfeus said:
To this day, I wish that Tiberium had not been cancelled.
Ditto. :(

RJ 17 said:
The funny thing about Ghost is that Blizzard was indeed working on numerous other projects, so they outsourced it to a 3rd party studio. The game was coming along, but when Blizzard checked in to see how things were going, they saw that it was turning out to be a generic 3rd person shooter set in the SC universe while Blizzard was wanting it to be more of a stealth-based Metal Gear Solid-like game. So the scrapped it.
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft%3A_Ghost#Development

It's actually the other way round - Blizzard was aiming for a more actiony game, while Nihilistic was going down the Metal Gear route.