8 Cancelled Games We Still Want to Play

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
ffronw said:
It wasn't Dungeon Keeper, for sure. But it was a nice little game, that tried really hard to be an homage to Dungeon Keeper. I rather enjoyed it.
Oh yeah it was a nice game, really was. Just didn't scratch my Dungeon Keeper itch.

Iron_Man_977

Jul 21, 2011
Quick mention of the Darth Maul game that was canned. If I had some magical game defibulator, I'd probably go for that one. Darth Maul dying in episode 1 is still probably my least favorite part of the prequels. (Btw, if you haven't seen it, go look up "what if episode I was good" by belated media. That mother fucker should own lucasfilm, not Disney) If the game not only brought him back, but brought him back well? ;-; I cry just thinking about it. And I agree with Prey 2, 1313, and Gotham by Gaslight. And in reply to some other comments I've been seeing, THERE WAS GOING TO BE AN IMPERIAL COMMANDO? WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS?! If dice can actually pull off battlefront, that should be next on their agenda. Or maybe give it to the old irrational team. Those guys know how to make a solid single player fps

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
beastro said:
No Van Buren mentioned, the only and true FO3.
This. I can't believe I forgot the Real Fallout 3 (Van buren).
I don't know much about it except those few screenshots that were doing the round.
Could have been amazing, or rubbish. I'd prefer amazing though.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
beastro said:
I don't know much about it except those few screenshots that were doing the round.
Van Buren. I remember the dream, you guys. I remember the dream.

Well, I remember now, because you all reminded me. So thanks for that.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
I'm still mourning the fact that that the Werewolf: the Apocalypse game got binned (the single-player one from forever ago, not the WoD MMO). If CCP put together a modest Kickstarter to give it another go, I'd probably risk it it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Charcharo said:
The lack of STALKER 2 is a criminal mistake.
Fix it. Nao.
Stalker 2 is in Liscencing Hell if I'm not mistaken. Though I could have missed the news that it got canned. Ohwell.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
beastro said:
There was a buggy-as-all-hell semi-playable alpha/concept that got released/leaked after the cancelation, but yeah, Van Buren was my "why the hell isn't this here?" game as well...

Honourable mention to World of Darkness Online.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wasn't Too Human supposed to be a trilogy? That game could have been good, if it wasn't so crapply designed. In almost every way. All they had to do was take it away from the original developers, quick as you would with a gun in a child's hand, then calmly had it all over to Bioware before running away, giggling like a little school girl.

Ok admittedly it probably is just the neo-norse style that is good.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Sorry for the slight bump, though it's still on the first page so...

Anyway, I just remembered another game I would have Loved to play. Freelancer 2.
Seeing as I still play the original every once in a while (without mods too!) the entire basic foundation was IMO Solid Gold.
I can't even count how many times I've completed it now. 20 at least.

No other, similar, game has ever really done it for me and I've tried or read about most of them.
Something is always slightly off or wrong, be it the camera (must be centered chase cam and not off-center like in Starpoint Gemini 2) or orientation, movement or a host of other stuff.

Darn, now I'm really miffed..again.
dontevengetmestartedon star citizen..

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
SomebodyNowhere said:
One that I'm thinking of is Mercenaries 3. The studio folded and I'm not even sure who owns the rights to the franchise anymore. It just seems like something that could be pretty interesting with one of the new engines like Frostbite.
The last anyone saw of Mercenaries was Mercs. Inc, a multiplayer centric game looking to be even more arcade and candy-frosted than Mercenaries 2 was. If you ask me, Mercenaries 2 showed us that the series was dead already. Mercenaries 1 was HEAPS better than Just Cause, but now? Long live Just Cause 2. And how.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

Eight cancelled games that we would really rather be playing right now.

Read Full Article

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
ffronw said:

Eight cancelled games that we would really rather be playing right now.

Read Full Article
You know, I'd love to hear an actual reason why the Escapist is being so utterly and completely creatively deprived so as to not only be reposting OLD lists, but old lists that are also WRONG. Seriously, the very first entry shows that no work was put into this at all, at the very least you could of grabbed a sloppy cut of Scalebound and put it in the first spot. But nope, Shenmue 3? That game what got kickstarted? Yeah that is totally a canceled game never coming out--...
Oh wait... It got funded after being announced at a major convention and is currently in development.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Shenmue 3 was funded. It's planned to release in late 2018.

As for 1313, at this point it's just another reminder that there will never be another good Star Wars game ever again.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gibbagobba said:
As for 1313, at this point it's just another reminder that there will never be another good Star Wars game ever again.
Well, there's the upcoming Battlefront 2 game...

...bwaaaaahahahahahahaha. Aw, man, I almost got that out with a straight face!

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Okamisama said:
You know, I'd love to hear an actual reason why the Escapist is being so utterly and completely creatively deprived so as to not only be reposting OLD lists, but old lists that are also WRONG. Seriously, the very first entry shows that no work was put into this at all, at the very least you could of grabbed a sloppy cut of Scalebound and put it in the first spot. But nope, Shenmue 3? That game what got kickstarted? Yeah that is totally a canceled game never coming out--...
Oh wait... It got funded after being announced at a major convention and is currently in development.
Considering how very few features and articles they posted in several weeks (especially painful to think of compared to, say, 2012), I think The Escapist is on its last legs.
The Rogue Wolf said:
Gibbagobba said:
Well, there's the upcoming Battlefront 2 game...

...bwaaaaahahahahahahaha. Aw, man, I almost got that out with a straight face!
That one might actually be good.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Goddamn, a big-ass grave dig by the Escapist team themselves?! How desperate for content do you need to be... Lists that are out-of-date as well, with Shenmue 3 being in development and all.

Regardless, if you want to see why Warcraft Adventures got cancelled, well my favourite streamer got his mitts on a playable sort-of demo thing. And, well... Let's just say it's for the best that it got cancelled:

Get ready for a ride ladies and gentlemen, this one's a doozy. The placeholder text-to-speech is the icing on the cake.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
How can you do this list and not mention silent hill?

The reason it was dropped? Konami dont want to do triple A titles anymore.

If ever you wanted proof there is no god, its there.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
bjj hero said:
How can you do this list and not mention silent hill?

The reason it was dropped? Konami dont want to do triple A titles anymore.

If ever you wanted proof there is no god, its there.
It's a two year old list that's been reupped as a new article. It happened a few days ago with an E3 games article from last year so I'm wondering if there's a bug in the web code messing with the articles or if they are knowingly reuploading old articles as content. Of course I'm hoping for the former rather than latter.