8 DLCs and Expansions that Were Worth the Money

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 DLCs and Expansions that Were Worth the Money

We take a look at 8 DLCs that are worth the money.

Do you know of any others? Feel free to let us know in the comments!

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
You got the XCOM one wrong. Enemy Within is the DLC for Enemy Unknown. Ashes and Temples is my favourite mission. Shame I've only played it once. Need to play it again for more Badassford.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Surprised at the lack of RTS/4X love.

C&C2: Yuri's Revenge was FANTASTIC for its time.

Galactic Civilization 2: Dredd Lord's was also a nice addiction.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And...I haven't played any of them. :(

Oh well, I guess I can nominate:

1) Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome

2) Command & Conquer: Kane's Wrath

3) Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

4) Half-Life 2: Episode 2

5) StarCraft: Brood War

6) StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

7) StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

8) Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ME Citadel was more about fighting your evil clone than the Reapers. And I think that it made the already bad ending of ME3, worse. I mean, here you have a whole bunch of friends hanging out, drinking and shooting stuff, then the one that holds them all together, dies. Somehow dying after a big ass party is more depressing than just dying.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
008Zulu said:
ME Citadel was more about fighting your evil clone than the Reapers. And I think that it made the already bad ending of ME3, worse. I mean, here you have a whole bunch of friends hanging out, drinking and shooting stuff, then the one that holds them all together, dies. Somehow dying after a big ass party is more depressing than just dying.
actually the ending answered "what makes you special??" its not that shepard is special its her whole team of superfriends that is unstoppable :D

citadel has some of my favourite moments in the series.. grunts drunken rampage, tali poisoning herself with cheese to try and change a robot sex topic, being garus' wingman, blowing up a glass fish tank sushi restaurant and the bad guys discussing how their boss left them to die

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Don't forget Morrowind's Bloodmoon. Pretty epic. Also, I heard Minerva's Den in BioShock 2 was really really good.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
008Zulu said:
I headcanon it as post Reaper invasion.

Lets me end the game with the knowledge that Bioware still have their strengths of writing great characters and dialogue.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
votemarvel said:
Since they (Bioware) seem to be ignoring the ending of ME3, it's hard to say what is canon. I have taken the opportunity to use this vacancy to make mine, the ending that occurs in the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod.

bluefiresword

Nov 12, 2009
I love it, You got to XCOM and then was like "Eh fuck it. One quick line for each picture. Still, Witcher 3 DLC was amazing for its cost

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
008Zulu said:
votemarvel said:
Since they (Bioware) seem to be ignoring the ending of ME3, it's hard to say what is canon. I have taken the opportunity to use this vacancy to make mine, the ending that occurs in the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod.
I use John P's Alternate MEHEM as I like the "Joker. We've got to go" scene from Bioware's endings that is missing in the main MEHEM.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think the Assassin's Cred games had some good DLC expansions: Brotherhood had The da Vinci Disappearance, Black Flag had Freedom Cry, Unity had Dead Kings, and Syndicate has Jack the Ripper.
Imre Csete said:
No mention of Fallout New Vegas DLCs?

Heresy.
Which of the Fallout games had the better DLC expansions: 3 or New Vegas?
Tanis said:
Surprised at the lack of RTS/4X love.

C&C2: Yuri's Revenge was FANTASTIC for its time.

Galactic Civilization 2: Dredd Lord's was also a nice addiction.
If we're bringing in RTS expansions, I gotta shout out to the Age of Empires series. And STAR WARS: Empire at War had Forces of Corruption.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Citadel was about the fight against clone Shepard, and having one last big hurrah with the entire gang, it had next to nothing to do with the Reapers. You're thinking of Leviathan. It also looks like you stopped writing this list about halfway through.

Also, you included Hearts of Stone, but not Blood and Wine? Don't get me wrong, Hearts of Stone was great, but Blood and Wine was so good it could have won Game of the Year even though it was just a DLC.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai. It executed the modernization mechanics pretty well to justify it being another game entirely, and it had an insane amount of polish and detail. Plus, it pays attention to an often overlooked but interesting part of history, which is a plus.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
TT Kairen said:
Also, you included Hearts of Stone, but not Blood and Wine? Don't get me wrong, Hearts of Stone was great, but Blood and Wine was so good it could have won Game of the Year even though it was just a DLC.
This :)

And as mentioned above, Starcraft's Brood War was awesome, so big (like WC III Frozen Throne) that it's hard to consider it an expansion, compared to what they have become nowadays.
And indeed Morrowind's Bloodmoon was awesome. Snow, blizzard, some big icecap. The atmosphere and scenery were very well done.