8 Examples of DLC that Doesn't Suck

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'd say that Lonesome Road is slightly better due to the beefier story(it deconstructs RPG story-telling in a rather compelling manner) since Old World Blues is a bit tedious, but otherwise, it's a pretty damn fine list.

Fall of The Samurai is a pretty good expand-alone to Shogun 2, showing an otherwise unexplored setting in video-games with compelling changes to Shogun 2 mechanics to boot.

Brave New World and Gods & Kings were also pretty sizeable expansions(and if we're talkin' Civ, then Beyond The Sword is a must), though I do agree that Within added much needed variety to the base game, whereas vanilla Civ V wasn't as limited as Enemy Unkown was on release.

Pretty good list, all things considered :p

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Brave New World and Gods & Kings were also pretty sizeable expansions(and if we're talkin' Civ, then Beyond The Sword is a must), though I do agree that Within added much needed variety to the base game, whereas vanilla Civ V wasn't as limited as Enemy Unkown was on release.

Man, Brave New World made Civ 5 SOOOOO much better. It completely changed how I looked at that game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh no. No mention of the new COD zombies that used to come with the game but now costs £12 as DLC??

Joking aside, you have just reminded me of that Bioshock Infinite extra. Really really has been on my list for a while.

And that New vegas DLC.

And that Enemy within expansion.

Probably should try that Mass Effect 2 stuff also. Ok i'm a DLC-phobe...sorry! ;)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
ffronw said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

Man, Brave New World made Civ 5 SOOOOO much better. It completely changed how I looked at that game.
Ditto. The trading system and the World Congress mechanics added a much required layer of depth to the game that singled it out from the others in the series as its own, to the point where people are calling Beyond Earth a re-skin of Civ V because of how much personality and intrigue it received out of it's expansions.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm glad Borderlands was on there. BL and BL2 are great examples of how to handle your DLC. Combined, the max cost for the campaigns is $40, and you get about as much content as a full expansion from back in the day. I finished the 4th DLC for BL, and I felt like I had finally completed my adventure after the disappointing main campaign ending. I still haven't done all the DLC for BL2, but I can tell that there is plenty to do in each of them.

Now only if TPS actually tried as hard.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
If only Enemy Within was actually a DLC on Xbox, that would have been nice instead of having to buy a completely different game, still great though, and Tina's DLC was really good. You did leave out Citadel for ME3 though, while the rest of the game had it's numerous issues (Glitches, ending, crew members that weren't part of the squad, etc...) Citadel was definitely a good DLC, although it really should have been part of the main game.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
jab136 said:
If only Enemy Within was actually a DLC on Xbox, that would have been nice instead of having to buy a completely different game
You get a way better deal with the Xbox verion then the PC one, in the Xbox you only need to buy Enemy Within (comes with Enemy Unknown included) where in the PC you have to buy both. Even if you already own Enemy Unknown for the Xbox the price for Enemy Within is still the same as the PC version so if you dont own Enemy Unknown you get a great deal with just buying Enemy Within and if you already own Enemy Unknown you dont pay more then anyone else anyway even if half of what you are buying is content you already own.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ooh, I was mentioned.

Naaaaw, you shouldn't have...

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CutesySiren said:
To anyone else who's probably wondering why the article claims Lair of the Shadow Broker is "widely" considered the series's best DLC, based on a thread where more people cited Citadel...

...well, you don't see (much) whining about the ending, do ya?
Actually, I chose the Shadow Broker over Citadel for a simple reason: I didn't like the Citadel DLC. At all.

Sure, it was a fun little lark to play through, but it was so out of place in that story. No one really believes that Shepard and his crew would stop on the way to the end of the world for a party, right?

Rather than argue all of this, I'll just link to the story that I agreed with when we wrote it. http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-controversy-the-game-front-primer/

And the ending was a disaster from the get-go.

Edit: Annnnnd I just realized I linked the wrong story above. *SIGH* THe proper link about Citadel is here: http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3s-citadel-bad-for-the-game-maybe-bad-for-the-future/

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I maintain that the most impressive DLC I've ever played is The Shivering Isles for Oblivion. Disappointing that it's not mentioned here.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
Ooh, I was mentioned.

Naaaaw, you shouldn't have...

So was I! Joyous day!

(that's about the only 'yay' reaction gif I have on hand)

But wait, I was mentioned first, and I probably remain the only one to bring up that DLC, so I'm betterer!

So much betterer.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
ffronw said:
FYI all, this is something a little new: A Community Gallery of the Day. I saw a thread in Gaming Discussion about all-time favorite DLCs, and I used those suggestions to make up this gallery. I'll be looking for more of these in coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Here's the original thread that spawned the idea:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.869614-Your-all-time-favorite-DLC
Really nice initiative there!

This is "fostering the community" and being such a participating and active part of it can only be lauded and applauded.
Though, sometimes its hard defining the line between pleasing the "echo-chamber" and stirring it up for good measure since everyone's tastes are different. ,)

I see great things in the future. Thank you.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Extragorey said:
I maintain that the most impressive DLC I've ever played is The Shivering Isles for Oblivion. Disappointing that it's not mentioned here.
I have to agree with you there. Then again I also have yet to play most of the New Vegas DLC nor have I played Burial at Sea so my opinion might change if I ever bother to play any of those.

Dusk108

Apr 30, 2013
The problem with Firaxis DLC is that they're sort necessary to make the game feel complete, both Civ V and XCOM felt very incomplete without there DLCs. Civ:BE suffers the same problem and practically feels like the game was gutted for the sake of selling DLC later. I'm beginning to wonder if that's Firaxis's strategy, sell an incomplete game, force users to pickup the DLC to fill in sometimes glaring holes.

That being said Tiny Tina's Assault on dragon keep was one of my favorite DLCs. It almost fell into the old category of expansion pack in my eyes.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
What ? No mention of Barbarian Invasion for the original Rome : Total war ? Thats the best DLC i have seen ! Its almost big as the core game ! I digress... Great list btw .

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
ffronw said:
FYI all, this is something a little new: A Community Gallery of the Day. I saw a thread in Gaming Discussion about all-time favorite DLCs, and I used those suggestions to make up this gallery. I'll be looking for more of these in coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Here's the original thread that spawned the idea:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.869614-Your-all-time-favorite-DLC
If these become a regular thing, can I suggest getting some badges made for these community galleries? Either for the thread creator or the users mentioned in the piece?