8 Fictional Characters We Want to Play In a Videogame

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Fictional Characters We Want to Play In a Videogame

These eight characters deserve to be the main character in a video game of their own - mostly because we want to play as them.

Read Full Article

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Yes on a Dresden Files game.
Make it something like Mass Effect, only instead of fighting aliens, he fights motherfucking Vampires.
And then rides a dinosaur.
Because he's Harry Motherfucking Dresden.

Jan 12, 2012
I remember that old Bounty Hunter game where you played Jango Fett... It was not great. Actually, I don't remember much about it at all; it just washed over me.

Also, I wouldn't want to play as Harry Dresden. In the Dresden Files universe, sure (I get tingly feelings looking at the TTRPG), but not as the man himself. He's too much of a character to come across well in a scripted game, I think; it would be "Press X for Witty One-Liner" and "Mash The Shoulder Buttons For An Improbable Leap In Logic That Somehow Works Out". It would feel either like just being along for the ride while Harry does his stuff, or you not being as clever as the real Harry would be.

Right behind you on a Quantum Leap game; that would be a great spin-off for AC, where Abstergo makes a kids game designed to teach basic lessons through the lives of their ancestors, but you start to see through the facade like with the Ratman in Portal.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Well he's not the main character but Darth Vader is playable in Soul Calibur 4 which is pretty close seeing as fighting games tend to lack a 'main' character and each character has their own story which becomes the 'main' story while you play as them... At least that's how they used to be. I think you could do better with the Star Wars universe, Darth Vadar has enough already anyway, with that and Force Unleashed.

There's too many other characters to choose from really though. Boba Fett could have him escaping after falling into the Sarlacc for a start. KotOR is already there for RPG's so I'd prefer more of an action style like Metal Gear Solid for instance could be interesting to try.

There was also the ending tacked onto Force Unleashed 2 implying Boba Fett followed the ship after Vadar was taken prisoner... Not sure how that would work but it might be good to follow that on as I found the whole thing pretty disappointing at the time. Probably a terrible idea but whatever.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Hell yes John Crichton! Love Farscape.

Such a great cast, such a great set of characters, and such a fun story from start to finish.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Kind of surprising actually that there isn't a Bobba Fett game, considering how Lucas has always milked every angle including video games.

For fictional characters of the fantasy novel variety though, Brandon Sanderson always seems to create a 'magic' system for his settings that just feels like it was inspired from video games... or at least Jedi Knights. Anything set in the Mistborn or Stormlight Archives would be really cool.

Mistborn Trilogy - The Mistborn use allomancy, consume small flakes of specific metals, gain time activated ability to: push away or pull against metal objects, increase strength or senses, detect or hide the use of allomancy, and a couple others.

Stormlight Archives series - The lost Order of the Knights Radiant had 10 branches. The first featured is the Wind Runners (I think it was called?), with the ability to change the direction/pull of gravity on oneself or with a touch on other objects, living or otherwise. The Knights Radiant also left behind big ass swords that are effectively medieval lightsabers and full plate power armour.

Don't expect it would ever happen but either series would be really cool places for a video game to go.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
rasta111 said:
Well he's not the main character but Darth Vader is playable in Soul Calibur 4 which is pretty close seeing as fighting games tend to lack a 'main' character and each character has their own story which becomes the 'main' story while you play as them... At least that's how they used to be. I think you could do better with the Star Wars universe, Darth Vadar has enough already anyway, with that and Force Unleashed.
No, no he doesn't - Force Unleashed only had him playable for one level and then had you stuck with his twat of an apprentice for the rest of the game. Wish he was the main character, that was the best level in that bloody thing.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
RealRT said:
rasta111 said:
No, no he doesn't - Force Unleashed only had him playable for one level and then had you stuck with his twat of an apprentice for the rest of the game. Wish he was the main character, that was the best level in that bloody thing.
Not sure if you noticed but the game is about the apprentice, all the character development revolves around him. The opening serves to set up the premise of his abilities but without the apprentice it has no character. It would just be a bland hack and slash... Sure you could have the same type of game all about Vader but why? Vader makes the apprentice who he is and gives the character his agency but the story has no foundation without the apprentice as the protagonist.

Who could actually challenge Vader if not the apprentice? The whole idea of using Vader in that opening is to give the player the feeling of being an nigh unstoppable warrior wielding the force. Playing as the apprentice through the rest of the game develops that feeling and actually makes you think about HOW you are to use the power instead of just crushing everything in your path with no challenge. We already know that no one can challenge Vader until Luke anyway and the apprentice is basically an avatar for that character that the player can actually shape meaningfully.

Besides I was talking more about Soul Calibur although Vader does fill far more of a role in Force Unleashed in terms of story and his character development.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
rasta111 said:
RealRT said:
rasta111 said:
Not sure if you noticed but the game is about the apprentice, all the character development revolves around him. The opening serves to set up the premise of his abilities but without the apprentice it has no character. It would just be a bland hack and slash... Sure you could have the same type of game all about Vader but why? Vader makes the apprentice who he is and gives the character his agency but the story has no foundation without the apprentice as the protagonist.

Who could actually challenge Vader if not the apprentice? The whole idea of using Vader in that opening is to give the player the feeling of being an nigh unstoppable warrior wielding the force. Playing as the apprentice through the rest of the game develops that feeling and actually makes you think about HOW you are to use the power instead of just crushing everything in your path with no challenge. We already know that no one can challenge Vader until Luke anyway and the apprentice is basically an avatar for that character that the player can actually shape meaningfully.

Besides I was talking more about Soul Calibur although Vader does fill far more of a role in Force Unleashed in terms of story and his character development.
Yeah, I have noticed that and it's the main problem of the game - it's about the apprentice who, as we have already established, is a twat. A bland as all fuck and boring character who was supposed to be a much more interesting anti-hero, but fell into your typical "HEY, THE GUYS I'M SERVING ARE ACTUALLY EVIL, HOLY SHIT" arc. Letting us to play as Vader, a well-established badass who was both an anti-hero and anti-villain during his long life and overall the most iconic character of all of Star Wars and then dumping that fuckoff on us was a mistake. His arc is a really stock, even by Star Wars standards and he's not that fun to play as. And sorry, but playing as him in a fighting game, which by definition have no main characters and letting us to play as him for a single level doesn't really count as having a game centered around him. Vader CAN be vulnerable. Make a game about him fighting Jedi during the first years of the Empire, when he's still maladjusted to his suit. BOOM! You can have a character arc with him dealing with his grief over Padme and accepting who he is now, shaping from a fairly emo Anakin into hard and ruthless Vader we know and love.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
RealRT said:
the apprentice who, as we have already established, is a twat. A bland as all fuck and boring character who was supposed to be a much more interesting anti-hero, but fell into your typical "HEY, THE GUYS I'M SERVING ARE ACTUALLY EVIL, HOLY SHIT" arc.
Really? I thought we'd established the apprentice was basically just an avatar of the player that can be shaped meaningfully with thought about the actual ACTIONS the player is taking thus hopefully making what happens seem less predictable and more in the hands of the player and not simply the avatar. That and the only character other than Luke in the established timeline capable of challenging Vader with any real conviction... But whatever. ._.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
rasta111 said:
RealRT said:
the apprentice who, as we have already established, is a twat. A bland as all fuck and boring character who was supposed to be a much more interesting anti-hero, but fell into your typical "HEY, THE GUYS I'M SERVING ARE ACTUALLY EVIL, HOLY SHIT" arc.
Really? I thought we'd established the apprentice was basically just an avatar of the player that can be shaped meaningfully with thought about the actual ACTIONS the player is taking thus hopefully making what happens seem less predictable and more in the hands of the player and not simply the avatar. That and the only character other than Luke in the established timeline capable of challenging Vader with any real conviction... But whatever. ._.
Yeah, I don't buy the "avatar of the player" crap because the fuckwit talks. And he cannot be shaped through ACTIONS, he is shaped through a moral choice - not even moral choices, A moral choice, just one. That's not character development, that's "choose your own ending" button. Oh, and by the way, the "young Jedi who is player's avatar that's shaped through player and gets to choose between light and dark side at the end" was done far better in Jedi Academy. With better combat. And better force powers. And the ability to choose your own race and gender. And good multiplayer. And Jennifer Hale as the VA of the female PC.
Man, I need to play some Jedi Academy pronto.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Wasn't this about Vader..? I mean it's well established by the ending of episode 3 that Vader has no period of adjustment to his suit, on leaving the operating table he displays his power and his grieving process can be summed up by.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Done and dusted. Face it Vader is the bland character here. Like I said if you want a game like Force Unleashed there is a whole host of better characters than Vader to take the 'main' role. Darth Maul. Enough saids.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
*looks at his own profile pic* Very much yes on the Dresden Files game!

For one thing, it would be a pretty good fit for a Telltale series, though it's unlikely to happen as the setting is probably too similar to Wolf Among Us.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
rasta111 said:
Wasn't this about Vader..? I mean it's well established by the ending of episode 3 that Vader has no period of adjustment to his suit, on leaving the operating table he displays his power and his grieving process can be summed up by.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Done and dusted. Face it Vader is the bland character here. Like I said if you want a game like Force Unleashed there is a whole host of better characters than Vader to take the 'main' role. Darth Maul. Enough saids.
Because, you know, a shout qualifies as the whole grieving process (usually it doesn't end there, you know) and destroying some lab equipment on adrenaline is enough to show that he feels dandy in his suit (while in old EU there was some evidence that he had quite the time adapting to it and this is the idea that really should come back). Vader, bland? Let alone blander than Darth "I'll only say a stock villain phrase and then get murdered" Maul (and don't get me wrong, Darth Maul is cool and DOES deserve a game of his own, but come the fuck on)?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Dresden? Yes. I don't know the books but the setting looks interesting.

Perry mason? Sure. We don't really see a whole lot of games like that and if done correctly (no courtroom or investigative game yet has) it would be pretty nice.

Jon Crighton? Hell yes. Farscape deserves a great game. It should focus on Crighton trying to get home first and trying to think his way out of trouble as well just like in the show. As long as there could be multiple outcomes and no kitchy adventure game logic.

Dirty Harry is an old school cop movie that should be left on the shelf to gather dust.

I'll never trust a Harry Potter themed game with the horrors that franchise has already spawned.

We have enough Star Wars out there right now.

Quantum Leap never hooked me as a show, I expect even less from a game.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
How awesome would it be to have an action/rts style Star Wars game where you play Vader hunting down the last of the Jedi. They could start where the new movies left off and lead right into A New Hope. Controlling battalions of galactic starships against rebel forces, then moving to control Vader on the battlefield.

Or hell just do it as a SKOTOR style game where you take on Vader after the new movies and watch him grow in power. You would be limited though to gaining powers that Vader actually had in the films, so no electricity like you would have in the other games.

Dirty Harry would also be a lot of fun, but I can't imagine it being picked up by a studio that would do it justice.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
RealRT said:
Because, you know, a shout qualifies as the whole grieving process (usually it doesn't end there, you know) and destroying some lab equipment on adrenaline is enough to show that he feels dandy in his suit (while in old EU there was some evidence that he had quite the time adapting to it and this is the idea that really should come back). Vader, bland? Let alone blander than Darth "I'll only say a stock villain phrase and then get murdered" Maul (and don't get me wrong, Darth Maul is cool and DOES deserve a game of his own, but come the fuck on)?
Vader is in all six movies, his character arc is as fully developed as it will ever get. Again Vader has no adjustment to his suit he is simply weakened by the ordeal which from that point on he attempts to hide. It's the sole reason he doesn't overthrow the emperor then and there and spends the rest of his arc waiting for this very opportunity. As you said Darth Maul gets one line in a movie before he takes the plunge...

No I don't think so.

I think the idea of character development is to make characters less bland not pummel the character with every last bit of nonsense you can throw at it until it becomes a bland mess.

mrdeclandeadly said:
How awesome would it be to have an action/rts style Star Wars game where you play Vader hunting down the last of the Jedi. They could start where the new movies left off and lead right into A New Hope. Controlling battalions of galactic starships against rebel forces, then moving to control Vader on the battlefield.
If you want a game about hunting down Jedi General Grievous is another far more interesting candidate.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I would love for a really good team to get behind making a Devil May Cry-esque action/adventure game with Drizz't Do'urden as a character. I left the novels behind along with much of my teenage years, but that setup begs for a good slash-em-up.