8 Fictional Planets You Should Never Visit

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
8 Fictional Planets You Should Never Visit

If these planets existed, they'd have the most extensive travel warnings you'd ever seen.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The solution to all these problems is to nuke them from orbit. Then keep nuking. And keep nuking. And do it until Exterminatus is complete.

Though with how Science Fiction tends to be there's often more then enough worlds to make an 8 worst planets list out of each franchise. I know Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate all have some pretty terrible worlds to visit.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Zontar said:
The solution to all these problems is to nuke them from orbit. Then keep nuking. And keep nuking. And do it until Exterminatus is complete.

Though with how Science Fiction tends to be there's often more then enough worlds to make an 8 worst planets list out of each franchise. I know Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate all have some pretty terrible worlds to visit.
Definitely, although I'm surprised LV-426 didn't at least get a mention. I'd much rather not get eaten by xenomorphs.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
My logic was "What planets could I land on and have a legitimate chance of being murdered within seconds." LV-426, for all its faults, at least restricted its xenomorphs to a single colony. But I might revisit it with a follow-up gallery later on.

Jan 27, 2011
Except you CAN'T Visit SR388 anymore.

Because
Samus blew it the hell up. To stop something a MILLION TIMES WORSE than the friggen Metroids.

Samus wipes out the metroids, pats herself on the back, and when she comes back years later, the original species that the metroid were created to suppress are now in full control of the planet again.

What is this species? A floating energy jelly species called the X. Who can enter your nervous system, take it over, copy your DNA, then devour you on the molecular level once you finally die from the infection, and THEN the fun part starts. They can either float around and infect another host, or they can just straight up copy you and walk around as you. AND THEN, they can reproduce via asexual molecular division to make more of themselves. WITH THE DNA THEY COPIED. And the final kicker? They're SMART. The only thing that can fight them effectively are metroids, as they siphon energy as food. And as we just established, the Metroids are now extinct.

To wit: They infect Samus and her power suit, and nearly kill her (she was saved by an experiemental and rather desperate metoid DNA vaccine), and then the X living in the power suit copy its data, make a copy of Samus at full power, and then goes on an impossibly strong rampage. Then, confronted with REAL samus, whom they can no longer consume because of her new Metroid DNA, they proceed to go after her every weakness.

What's that? Samus is now vulnerable to cold temperatures? Quick, evolve a strain of X that are internally at sub-zero temperatures, and kamikaze into her to freeze her from within!

What's that? She's a serious threat to the X? Hijack a scientist's DNA and use his know-how to try to blow up the entire space station she's on in order to protect the X living on the planet below.

Samus needs doors to get around? Quick, use a creeping vine thing to choke the entire power supply of the station and prevent her from moving around.

And throughout all of this, the copy-Samus keeps reproducing until you find out that by the end, there are no less than SIX Copy-samus' running around the place, mimicking her at full power.

...She literally had to blow up both the research station she was on, AND the entire damn planet to kill them all, and we still have yet to see if that stuck.

So yeah, SR388. A cautionary tale of what happens if you remove the Apex Predator of an Ecosystem. Shit might go out of control. >_>

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No mention to that film Pitch Black planet? Ok sure it has three sun but once the eclipse has begun, there is nowhere to hide from those nocturnal predator!

I suppose the same could be said to the game Borderlands Pandora (when they first discover it, they didn't realise the native creatures were habination) but with the added bonus of psychopath bandits!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
LV-426? Anyone? Aliens? Had Sigourney Weaver? No? Nothing? okay...

Also no Armaggedon? Toxic atmosphere, chemically burning seas, scorching temperatures, billions of Orks and random Chaos artifacts that can steal your soul if you touch them?

I mean seriously you did Doctor Who before Warhammer 40k?! I thought you took being a nerd seriously.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zontar said:

Good plan, except for earth 3, Owl Man will have an anti-exterminatus gadget, whilst even if it works Superwoman and Ultraman will still be hunting you down looking for both revenge and a new planet to crush under their heel.

SlumlordThanatos said:
Definitely, although I'm surprised LV-426 didn't at least get a mention. I'd much rather not get eaten by xenomorphs.
To be fair, by the end of Aliens LV-426 was a pretty safe place to be, what with the giant nuclear explosion visible from space removing the Terraformer, the derelict ship, Hadley's Hope and any trace of the Xenomorphs. Stay out of the fallout zone and it's all golden.

Unless of course you take Colonial Marines as being canon, in which case you must be ritually burned at the stake and ground into fish food, the fish will then also be burned at the stake.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Silentpony said:
Also no Armaggedon? Toxic atmosphere, chemically burning seas, scorching temperatures, billions of Orks and random Chaos artifacts that can steal your soul if you touch them?
What about Commorragh (technically not planet I know), or the unnamed Necron Homeworld, or Cadia, Catachan (alias planet Tyranid) or the death worlds in general?

In 40k it's harder to list planets that aren't horrific (mostly the Tau worlds) than the ones that are somewhat approachable.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
OMG how is LV-426 NOT on this list? It should be #1 least desirable tourist stop.

"Game over, man! Game over!!"

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Silentpony said:
What about Commorragh (technically not planet I know), or the unnamed Necron Homeworld, or Cadia, Catachan (alias planet Tyranid) or the death worlds in general?

In 40k it's harder to list planets that aren't horrific (mostly the Tau worlds) than the ones that are somewhat approachable.
Yeah it's a universe that has planets specifically marked "death worlds" and yet people continue to live on them. They're the worlds where the toughest mortals come from (is Cadia a death world yet? If not it should be given its location).

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Zontar said:
It's funny you mention that. In the book Starship Troopers (IE, the only Starship Troopers should care about), the humans go one step further on a couple planets the Arachnids settle. They don't just nuke the surface, cuz the bugs live underground. They crack the planets open with what I assume is some combination of an anti-matter bomb and Cyclonic Torpedo.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
fix-the-spade said:
Unless of course you take Colonial Marines as being canon, in which case you must be ritually burned at the stake and ground into fish food, the fish will then also be burned at the stake.
What are you talking about? There was never an Aliens game with that title.

Still, you have a good point. I've not seen Aliens in a long time, it was a bit fuzzy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
Cadia is technically not a Death World. Its a Primus Class Fortress World and Naval dockyard too. But you're right. Chaos Marines are practically an indigenous species.

And basically every single world in the Eye of Terror is a literal hell planet, including a personal favorite that isn't a planet at all but a massive obese naked man curled up into a ball.

See?
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oliensis

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:

I mean seriously you did Doctor Who before Warhammer 40k?! I thought you took being a nerd seriously.
I'd argue that Doctor Who is far more in nerd territory than W40K. If anything, 40K is far more a setting for jocks indulging in power fantasies (seriously, I got tired of "for the Emperor!" being repeated ad nauseum years ago). But that aside, the problem with 40K is that its planets tend to be hellholes by default, whereas in Doctor Who, hostile worlds aren't entirely uncommon, but are by no means the norm.

Anyway, looking at the list, I feel listing a universe as a planet is a bit out of lace, and as pointed out, SR-388 has the issue of being destroyed. Also, I don't think Arrakis really belongs on the list. Maybe this is from watching Children of Dune not too long ago, but while Arakkis was a harsh world prior to Paul's terraforming project, the Fremen could still survive quite well, and both the Atreides and Harkonens established themselves securely. If anything, threats to people on Dune seem to come more from the Sardekar or the Fremen themselves. Even the sand worms are more intent on going about their business than targeting humans specifically (though that does still happen). And after the terraforming takes off, some Fremen feel the planet's got too 'soft' for their liking, and spark a civil war.

Kids these days...

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Silentpony said:
Cadia is technically not a Death World. Its a Primus Class Fortress World and Naval dockyard too. But you're right. Chaos Marines are practically an indigenous species.

And basically every single world in the Eye of Terror is a literal hell planet, including a personal favorite that isn't a planet at all but a massive obese naked man curled up into a ball.

See?
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oliensis
There is also the planet that is literally named Murder, that's right lads, a world called Murder.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zontar said:

Nice idea in theory; except when the dwellers have anti-orbital defenses.

This bug plasma isn't random or light. Somebody made a big goddamn mistake!

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'd like to nominate this guy

Ego the living planet.

Not especially dangerous compared to some listed already but he does just go on and on and on;

and on.

You'll be trying to will deafness on yourself before the first afternoon is over.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
Apokolips. A hive planet run as a concentration camp, led by Darkseid. At least you'll likely get a quick death on LV-426. You'll be praying for that on Apokolips.