8 Franchises Nintendo Needs to Bring to the Switch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Franchises Nintendo Needs to Bring to the Switch

Now that the Switch is in full swing and Metroid is getting a new game, we've picked out eight more Nintendo franchises that deserve a second lease on life.

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Chances of Battletoads or Conker coming to Switch: Approximately zero. The only franchise Microsoft is interested in bringing to a competing platform right now is Minecraft, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time in the next few years.

P.S. Thanks

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
If for some reason that Battletoads comes to the Switch, because Rare is under Microsoft now, then I want them to bring along that patch that fixes the bug when you do two-player. So many fights and arguments between my brother and I because of it.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Golden Sun game. I know there was one for the DS, that game was legit, but I'd like to see a new entry onto the Switch.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
1) Hell yes!

2) Not as much a fan, but I enjoyed the first two games, and hey, sure.

3) Meh.

4) Meh.

5) No real investment, but wouldn't be opposed to it.

6) Doesn't this belong to Rare, and therefore, Microsoft? If so, good luck with that.

7) Never played Earthbound, but while I can understand the wait of a long dormant Nintendo RPG franchise, didn't the trilogy end definitively?

8) See Rare/Microsoft comment up above.

Anyway, haven't got a Switch, or even a WiiU, but I'd further nominate Star Fox and Golden Sun. The former because as far as I can tell, Star Fox Zero left a sour taste in most people's mouths, rebooted the series (again), and while Nintendo is releasing Star Fox 2, I get the sense that like F-Zero, they just don't know what to do with the series anymore. The latter because we haven't had a Golden Sun game since 2010, which ended on a cliffhanger, and while "good," didn't live up to its predecessors.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Well... At least you acknowledge F-Zero's existence, unlike Nintendo.

If they really need to do something "new" with the series, take some influence from the old Jet Moto games and have some sections of course be run on natural terrain. At least that way, people could have a fast and intense racing experience that isn't polluted with Mario Kart RNG bullshit.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I was going to make a joke that "Advanced Wars" would have to be called "Switch Wars" then...cause I thought it was a game series just on the GBA..

But then I looked it up and well, it would be. Other games in the series "Famicom Wars" and "Gameboy Wars".

They did not do "Wii Wars" though for the Wii entry...wonder why?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
They did not do "Wii Wars" though for the Wii entry...wonder why?
One might say they didn't do "Wii Wars" because they were, ahem, "taking the piss." ;p

But if you want to know why there hasn't been an Advance Wars, well, to quote, here's your answer:

"Personally, I'd love to do Advance Wars, but since it's harder to create relationships between its characters compared to Fire Emblem, I don't have a clear idea of what kind of setting it could have." (Hitoshi Yamagami)

That's right. Advance Wars is being held back because it's harder to implement Fire Emblem's pairing system.

And to be honest, I think there might be actual merit in that idea...sort of. The Advance Wars series has plenty of colourful, if not deep characters, and Dual Strike did have you pairing up commanders at your discretion, combining their armies and powers, so if you wanted to utilize FE's support system based on commander pairings, it could work. And Days of Ruin did do a fairly good job with the Ed/Catleia story.

But, on the other hand, I think it's assinine for setting or characters to hold back Advance Wars. Both were flavors for the gameplay.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
YES...so damn long!
YES...such a good series.
MEH...I guess.
YES...I liked the Wii game.

YES...but closer to the original.
NOPE...fuck that, leave that dark souls bullshit behind.
BWHAHAHAHA...yeah, right, like THAT will ever happen!
MEH...only one good game out of the series, let it die with Duke 'LULZ REAP' Nukem.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
American Tanker said:

If they really need to do something "new" with the series, take some influence from the old Jet Moto games and have some sections of course be run on natural terrain. At least that way, people could have a fast and intense racing experience that isn't polluted with Mario Kart RNG bullshit.
Luckily there are games like the WipEout collection on PS4 and several games on PC to scratch that super-fast racing itch.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
bluegate said:
Luckily there are games like the wipEout collection on PS4 and several games on PC to scratch that super-fast racing itch.
But F-Zero, there's just something about it specifically.

The machines have tight and responsive handling, not sliding all over the place like wipEout or RedOut. There are no weapons, meaning that combat is purely through direct vehicle-to-vehicle contact, unlike wipEout or Extreme-G. And the courses feature massive roller-coaster inversions, which you don't really see except in stuff like TrackMania.

F-Zero is at once both simple and pure, and at the same time an absolute thrill ride. There's just nothing else like it.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Advanced Wars, F-Zero, Warioland, Kid Icarus, Earthbound, these I can get behind, though given Nintendos weird almost reluctance to bring back old IPs/release them overseas, I've got my doubts. Especially with Warioland - I can't seem to remember the last time Wario was even in something that wasn't a party game. A shame, really, since I've always liked him more than Mario.

Excitebike, Battletoads, Conkers, on the other hand... Excitebike is just too small of a game, meaning it'd either just be Virtual Console'd onto the Switch or so overhauled in redesign it looks nothing like the original, while Battletoads and Conkers are just... not good, honestly. Battletoads was a horrible, buggy mess people only remember for being literally unbeatable, while Conkers was just a shitty version of Banjo Kazooie without any of the charm (although the Great Mighty Poo was fun to fight given it's operatic singing). Plus, as others have said, issues of who owns what and licensing... I'm pretty sure Minecraft is the only cross-platform game owned by Microsoft, and that's simply because it was on everything before they bought it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
American Tanker said:
Look on the bright side, as long as Nintendo doesn't acknowledge F-Zero, they can't F-Zero: Zero or F-Zero: Other M happen.

Really if it's not Mario, Zelda or Pokemon Nintendo aren't particularly interested. I would quite like a new Starfox game on Switch, but Nintendo would find some way to wreck what's realy a very simple franchise (fly space ship, shoot shit up, repeat).