8 Games Every PC Gamer Should Have Played

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2,804
0
0
8 Games Every PC Gamer Should Have Played

There have been a lot of great PC games over the years, but every PC gamer should have played all eight of these great titles.

Read Full Article
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
12,440
2,327
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
No Thief? Well, I have to say I'm disappointed. I mean, all it did was revolutionize the first-person gaming experience and show that games didn't just have to be loud dumb action.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
I've dabbled in most of them, but damn do I find every one of those to not be a must-play game. Deus Ex comes close, but it still has some clunky mechanics that I wouldn't expect everyone to deal with. Still a damn good game though.
 

catalyst8

New member
Oct 29, 2008
374
0
0
The Rogue Wolf said:
No Thief? Well, I have to say I'm disappointed. I mean, all it did was revolutionize the first-person gaming experience and show that games didn't just have to be loud dumb action.
Not just that, Thief: The Dark Project was released two years earlier than Deus Ex, which belies Mr. Whitaker's claim that "Deus Ex was the first game that managed to bring together meaningful story, stealth, and platforming in a first person shooter." Deus Ex was a very good game, but Thief was a great game that combined meaningful story, stealth, and platforming in a first person shooter far better than Deus Ex.
 

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
2,418
0
0
I'd really have to argue against Civ 5. Even with Brave New World, I just did not find it terribly compelling. I'd have gone with Civ IV Complete instead, especially with Nimoy's narration of the tech quotes.

I think I'd also have gone with Sim City 4 as opposed to 2000, especially with the additions Rush Hour brought to the table. Granted, I still listen to the soundtrack from 3000 once in a while. Love that jazzy vibe it had going.

Other then that, I can't really argue with the rest of your list, other then to say I'd *maybe* have left off WoW in favor of System Shock 2.
 

infohippie

New member
Oct 1, 2009
2,369
0
0
Well someone is fond of strategy games. :p
TBH, I've only played two of those games, and of those two Minecraft was the only one that actually held my interest for any length of time. I really don't think this is a "must play" list at all, my reaction to nearly all the games on that list has been "meh", and I've been a PC gamer since the mid nineties (and Amiga before that). I'd say a PC gamer should have played, over the years, a Mechwarrior game (any one), a space sim such as Elite or one of the X-wing series, a Crysis (or Far Cry) game, a Roguelike, an MMO of some kind, and at least one visual novel. Oh, and Thief of course. One of the good ones, not that recent shitty remake.
 

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
May 7, 2020
4,326
14
3
Country
Germany
I lol'd at World of Warcraft.

Seriously, it's weird to include a MMO in the list. Nobody has time for it. Or you lose your life. Your choice.

Agree with most of the Rest. Wracraft 3 should be played with Expansion, however. And Civ5 DLC cost too damn much.
 

DarkhoIlow

New member
Dec 31, 2009
2,531
0
0
Planescape Torment & Starcraft & Thief instead of Minecraft, World of Warcraft and Sim City is what I would swap..even though I am a WoW fan and I'm still playing it after 11 years.
 

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
711
0
0
Signa said:
I've dabbled in most of them, but damn do I find every one of those to not be a must-play game. Deus Ex comes close, but it still has some clunky mechanics that I wouldn't expect everyone to deal with. Still a damn good game though.
Seriously, Shooting someone with a tranq dart makes them run around screaming and shooting their gun wildly until they just collapse. In the words of Yahtzee, "That's not very tranquil". Great game but serious problems along side being ugly as sin even compared to other games that released that year.
 

octafish

New member
Apr 23, 2010
5,137
0
0
theSovietConnection said:
I'd really have to argue against Civ 5. Even with Brave New World, I just did not find it terribly compelling. I'd have gone with Civ IV Complete instead, especially with Nimoy's narration of the tech quotes.

I think I'd also have gone with Sim City 4 as opposed to 2000, especially with the additions Rush Hour brought to the table. Granted, I still listen to the soundtrack from 3000 once in a while. Love that jazzy vibe it had going.

Other then that, I can't really argue with the rest of your list, other then to say I'd *maybe* have left off WoW in favor of System Shock 2.
Yes for Nimoy. I like V but IV is Civ defined. I fooled you! I fooled you! I got all pig iron!

I vote C&C over WC, or maybe even Dune II. Showing my age I know.

Also yes to SS2.
 

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
2,918
0
0
FirstNameLastName said:
So, rts/management with a few massively popular titles thrown in there.
that is the main advantage of being on a PC, I doubt you'll ever see a Total War game on a console. Supreme Commander was on the xbox 360 but had awful framerate problems. I remember Starcraft on the N64, that at least was a good and proper port.
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
No Doom. No Far Cry. No Unreal Tournament. No Elder Scrolls. No Halo. No Wing Commander. No Jedi Knight. No GTA. No Guild Wars. No AvP. No Crysis. No Duke Nukem 3D. No Hitman. No Mechwarrior. No Myst. No Freelancer. No Need for Speed...

wat r u casul?
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,695
2,410
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
PC Gamer here. No plans to ever play WoW(MMO's just don't do it for me, even if I had the time).

I've wanted to play WC3 for a long time, but since it hasn't been released digitally, I keep forgetting about it.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
theSovietConnection said:
I'd really have to argue against Civ 5. Even with Brave New World, I just did not find it terribly compelling. I'd have gone with Civ IV Complete instead, especially with Nimoy's narration of the tech quotes.
Couldn't agree more. Civ V, even with Brave New Worlds is just too small and too streamlined for me to enjoy. I bought the game and DLC on sale since I have some friends who play it, and I wanted to try it out. After about 10 hours against both A.I. and humans, I stopped and returned to Civ IV and never looked back.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
Arnoxthe1 said:
No Doom. No Far Cry. No Unreal Tournament. No Elder Scrolls. No Halo. No Wing Commander. No Jedi Knight. No GTA. No Guild Wars. No AvP. No Crysis. No Duke Nukem 3D. No Hitman. No Mechwarrior. No Myst. No Freelancer. No Need for Speed...

wat r u casul?
You do realize most of the games you've named are either causal or have become causal due to streamlining (the worst fate that can befall a game)